Wigans time wasting

Millenniumram

I'm not sure whether anyone else has already mentioned it, but I thought this was disgraceful today. From the very first minute every time the ball went out of play they spent an age before putting it back in, every sub dawdled off like they were a 70 year old granny, and at one point I'm fairly adamant one of their players feigned injury- all of which heavily disrupted our flow. It seems a very commonplace tactic nowadays when you've come to nick a point like Wigan did, but the referee has got to do more to stop it, he just let them get away with it all game then didn't even seem to add anything on in added time either! Please tell me it's not just me that god frustarted by this 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I'm not sure whether anyone else has already mentioned it, but I thought this was disgraceful today. From the very first minute every time the ball went out of play they spent an age before putting it back in, every sub dawdled off like they were a 70 year old granny, and at one point I'm fairly adamant one of their players feigned injury- all of which heavily disrupted our flow. It seems a very commonplace tactic nowadays when you've come to nick a point like Wigan did, but the referee has got to do more to stop it, he just let them get away with it all game then didn't even seem to add anything on in added time either! Please tell me it's not just me that god frustarted by this 

It's frustrating, but I disagree with one part of your post. 

They didn't come to nick a point! They should have won 2-0!

Just now, Chris Mills said:

It's frustrating, but I disagree with one part of your post. 

They didn't come to nick a point! They should have won 2-0!

I said that was the plan, I think you're right they got more than they came for because our team was so complacent they nearly gifted them the win on multiple occasions!

9 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I have to question the Bradley Johnson booking then the same thing happened on Hughes but he didn't forward roll and rolly polly 3 times but no booking to the Wigan player.

I agree - there were far worse fouls than the one Johnson got booked for. Hughes got absolutely clattered on the edge of the area, yet no booking.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

No different to how we approached the game at Wigan a month ago really.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

No,you are correct...clearly done to slow our play down and disrupt it as much as possible.

Poor form really but how else were  they not going to lose this one

25 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I also didn't see any of our players making up the time lost by Wigan timewasting by rushing quickly to get the ball back into play from throw ins or get free kicks taken quickly.

We were equally guilty of ambling.

Indeed, but I think ours were more of a ' I can't be arsed, they're **** anyway no need to rush' attitude rather than a tactical move...

Can't use it as an excuse. It is frustrating. What does annoy me is a keeper can waste time consistently through the game yet only get booked in the 85th minute. Like with a lot of things nip it in the bud early on and let's play football. 

As much as I love Mac and enjoy the football I do find it frustrating that we still can't break teams down who sit 10 behind the ball. 

Its part of the game its a tactic and i like it, win at all costs mentality

or collect points where you can. Man for man we are better than wigan. If they play us at football they will lose. They have to disrupt and destroy the game

ive whinged about it for years i wish we showed more gamesmanship to see out tight games when we're 1-0 up.

Is it time for independent timekeepers. Ball to be in play for 30 minutes each half. Refs were given that instruction a few years ago but difficult to manage for the guy with the whistle.  If players know they have got to play the game for 30 minutes each half whatever happens they would not bother trying to run the clock down. It happens in other sports, and imo would improve our game. Most games at present , the ball is only in play for about 24 mins each half, with can be frustrating for supporters. Opinions welcome!!!!

13 hours ago, hope60 said:

Is it time for independent timekeepers. Ball to be in play for 30 minutes each half. Refs were given that instruction a few years ago but difficult to manage for the guy with the whistle.  If players know they have got to play the game for 30 minutes each half whatever happens they would not bother trying to run the clock down. It happens in other sports, and imo would improve our game. Most games at present , the ball is only in play for about 24 mins each half, with can be frustrating for supporters. Opinions welcome!!!!

I agree with this. It's part of the game and a legitimate tactic for teams who come for a point, but it makes (or contributes to) a poor spectacle.  Yesterday was particularly galling as the keeper was time wasting after 60 seconds of the game. 

Whats annoying is that it's quite easy to sort out. You establish a set time to play a throw in or goal kick and if it takes longer than this you get booked. Simple. If that has to be managed by the fourth official or timekeeper than so be it.  Start the clock once the ball is able to be played (cutting out any excuses of the crowd holding the ball or ball boys messing around with it). 

Sith Happens

Its the first time this season this has been so obvious, play acting injuries added into the equasion.

Very poor sportsmanship from them when they had to give us the ball back when one of their players looked like he had got hit by a bus but was just fine, then they kicked it straight at carson with some pace...you never do that, should always go to the side of the goal incase the keeper isnt ready or it catches him out...

awful team, but still our job to break them down which we didnt do.

Archived