Is Mel starting to vanish into the shadows? And do we all like him now?

Duracell

Has your opinion of our owner changed over the past couple of months?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He may not have taken a back seat on footballing matters. But he's certainly no longer public and vocal. Not even very public about the business side of things either. He delivers there routinely and if he is quiet during the January transfer window my belief is that this is because he is committed to and gaining traction with his proposal for EFL television rights. Doesn't come across as someone who can just sit on his hands. The fact that at this meeting in Jan they have almost all clubs in attendance is great news. It means there is genuine appetite for change and they want to know how such a proposal will be delivered and how professional it would be. This is something Mel can absolutely deliver on in my view in terms of a pitch and  he wouldn't shy away from the task itself. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the highest regard for him. Unlike the many wide boys this game attracts, he always speaks with a calm measured tone in public, puts his money on the line for the club and while undoubtably the Boss he clearly works and consults with his executive team rather than rule by decree. (Well that's my impression anyway)

I like his long headed view, investing in infrastructure and so on. I think he has learned that going in to the dressing room might not be the best idea but he is human and a fan so what would we all have done ? 

Anything that went wrong re Clement and Pearson, went wrong because he was trying to do something to improve us. Not every strategic decision in business comes off. Not withstanding his huge affection for the club I also think he remains a business man and is engaged in a long haul gamble. Get to the Prem and he gets his money back having had a fantastic time doing it ... Why wouldn't you if you can afford it.

Thanks Mel, one of our own 

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

For me, I think the dressing room incident did a lot of damage. It was a sign he was too involved in football matters. I didn't like the money we were thoughtlessly spending and my chief concern was the £6m on the player I could never see doing anything good for Derby.

Not for the first time, I was well wide of the mark :lol:

I didn't think that covered him in glory but when he explained it was not about footballing issues and said he wouldn't be doing it again it should have been forgotten about in my opinion 

I'm quite fickle. 

I'm sure MM wants exactly the same as I do for the club. The problem is when things aren't going right you have to look back at who has made what decisions that has got us into that situation. 

I now feel he has redeemed himself until our next bad run. Then it will be all his fault again. 

Sometimes you can try to analyse things too much

Personally I cannot believe our luck that we have MM as owner and chairman

Having sat through momentus changes since my first game in 1968, I don't think we have ever been in a better position other than when Lionel was at the helm. This guy wants the best for DCFC as much as any other fan.

There is no such thing as perfection.

Just be happy, enjoy the journey and support the ones genuinely doing their best on our behalf . I'm sure they aren't perfect, any more than you or I .

Good post Duracell, but I would disagree with one point. Morris didn't take us to relegation fodder, the same way he didn't take us to promotion chancers. 

We all praise/chastise our manager on performances, and it was clear that Pearson's methods were not what the club desired to take us forward. The reappointment of Steve may be inspirational, and if/when he takes us up, I would be praise that humbleness of Mel reappointing Mac, but Steve has will have done the business getting the club back in the big time. 

Was really pleased when he bought the club and although I feel the appointment of clement was a bad mistake that ultimately snowballed into a bit of a period that saw us lose our way a bit and compound that mistake with others which made fans question his ownership style and motives my underlying feeling has never swayed from wanting him as our owner ,, will give my opinion if I feel I disagree with decisions he makes as the owner of the club I love but I want him as our owner because unlike a lot of current owners of clubs he is not motivated by owning a premiership club he is motivated by making Derby county ( the club he loves ) a premiership club

24 minutes ago, Alpha said:

What would it take mafia? Just more time like it is now?

Hard for me to trust the man. I get why people like him etc.....

More of a personal thing to me. You know what I'm like. 

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

I'm not in the camp who think he's destroying the club, although I think that group is getting smaller and smaller, nor do I think he's the best thing since sliced bread and a holy being who will guide us to greatness. I do however respect him for choosing to use his wealth and success to try and better one of his passions in life. Like I mentioned, I think he's made a few mistakes but he'll recognise that himself and will have grown into the role of owning a football club. 

Perfect description of how I feel which is why none of the options is a good choice.

I think I'd have have gone for "Good intentions, occasional rushes of blood to the head, but broadly in favour regardless of the results"

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I actually don't know your reasons why.

Something personal or DCFC related?

It's to me more than anything. Will admit it's weird, but everytime I see him speak, or what he's said to you guys or any forum..... I see a lot of how I used to be with people in him. 

I know it's a daft way of thinking. 

Archived