Derby Co. 1975-1984

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newport  County. I was there too. On the pop side with my old man. As Newport's third want in (due to a series of calamitous attempts at football from us) a big bloke behind me boomed out. "You soooooooper rams".

10 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Was like slow death by asphyxiation. 

The great players of the clough team were all ageing together and we stopped producing youth through the ranks. We had brought on Roger Davies,  Jeff Bourne and Steve powell but the succession dried up. 

We needed to replace several at once and hired Tommy docherty who replaced every single legend with duds.

We also at the same time lost our scouting. Hales was a disaster and blew the entire years transfer budget. We lost about 2/3 of our annual transfer budget on him in a few months. Hence docherty had no money and brought in cheap Irish lads. 

So began a succession of manager changes, cheaper and cheaper players, declining attendances  (which were a far more important source of revenue ), crumbling infrastructure and lower league placings.

1984 was the low point. All the old greats were just that  - old with shot legs. They were free and low wages just coming to the end of careers.

I recall standing on the popside in I think 1984 among a "crowd" of about 9k. Celebrating like crazy as we rescued an unlikely point against Newport County. 

Newport County ffs!

Was a terrible time. But in truth football in general was nothing like it is today.

Did you go Newport away, last away game of season. That was one mad day down there 

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

But no booing.......

3 hours ago, dog said:

Can't remember any booing towards our players from the popside.

Maybe it's a modern internet thing.

That desire for instant gratification.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Maybe in the 70s and 80s if we were hacked off with our team we just picked fights with the away support rather than waste time booing5

I can't remember any booing from the Popside. Looking through Rams tinted glasses all i can remember is the camaradie of the terraces and love and support for DCFC.

Docherty fecked our team up but Jack Kirkland deserved to be hung drawn and quartered for what he did to us. He caused the dispute that led to Clough and Taylor leaving and was also involved in Dave Mackay's sacking iirc.

The years of absolute misery that coincided with the gumps flukey 3 years of success were a character building period that led to the superb support we now enjoy. We know that we will not be a top 4 premiership club yet we turn up 30,000 strong week in, week out because of those who kept the faith during those barren years, passing the poisoned chalice on to the next generation.

I still get goosebumps at the away support we had at places like Newport and Plymouth, Cambridge and Shrewsbury are still particularly vivid to me. Those days were very, very special to the lads who remember them, Trips to Grimsby, Swansea etc were days out that still get talked about today......

I feel privileged to have seen my team be the champions of England twice but some of the fondest memories are of when we were down and have battled back. That's why we remember Bobby Davison and Arthur Cox so fondly. That's why the Bald Eagle and Igor Stimac are equally loved....

I do miss attacking the away fans in Ivy Square and giving it the big un outside the station though....

48 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

Did you go Newport away, last away game of season. That was one mad day down there 

Still suffering from that day, knackered my big toe helping kick the back of the stand out to let the massed ranks of rams fans in...... There were only 1 or 2 turnstiles and about 1500 still outside 15 min before ko! The whole day was mental.

12 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

This is a period I know little about but it is a period where we went from 2 times champions and one of the best teams in Europe to almost going out of business and in the third tier albeit with some highs - beating Real Madrid - and some returning stars (I am sure McFarland, Hector, Gemmill and George all returned for second spells).

What happened to see us fall so far in such a short space of time?  I'd love to hear some of the stories and opinions of this spell.

Sam Longson cost us a Champions league/European cup

Whoever sacked Big Dave Mackay was responsible for our descent into the wilderness. 

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I can't remember any booing from the Popside. Looking through Rams tinted glasses all i can remember is the camaradie of the terraces and love and support for DCFC.

Docherty fecked our team up but Jack Kirkland deserved to be hung drawn and quartered for what he did to us. He caused the dispute that led to Clough and Taylor leaving and was also involved in Dave Mackay's sacking iirc.

The years of absolute misery that coincided with the gumps flukey 3 years of success were a character building period that led to the superb support we now enjoy. We know that we will not be a top 4 premiership club yet we turn up 30,000 strong week in, week out because of those who kept the faith during those barren years, passing the poisoned chalice on to the next generation.

I still get goosebumps at the away support we had at places like Newport and Plymouth, Cambridge and Shrewsbury are still particularly vivid to me. Those days were very, very special to the lads who remember them, Trips to Grimsby, Swansea etc were days out that still get talked about today......

I feel privileged to have seen my team be the champions of England twice but some of the fondest memories are of when we were down and have battled back. That's why we remember Bobby Davison and Arthur Cox so fondly. That's why the Bald Eagle and Igor Stimac are equally loved....

I do miss attacking the away fans in Ivy Square and giving it the big un outside the station though....

True story.  Once you've witnessed genuine adversity ìt gives you a heightened sense of appreciation of any success. 

Charlie getting injured in the March was a turning point. We were heading for a league/cup double from what I have read over the years. Signing Hales contributed also (no more money for transfers). Seeing (and hearing about) Forest get all those cups...but never, ever thinking about changing team support despite living in Notts at the time.

17 hours ago, bigbadbob said:

Twas my first away match, absolute chaos in the ground. Remember the police insisting on frisking everyone before they let us out of the station and being bussed to the ground. One toilet and two turnstiles at the ground - made the BBG seem plush

On 30/12/2016 at 14:10, OohMartWright said:

If that was the one where we were 3-0 down and pulled it back to 3-3 I was at that game, in the Normanton Road end. The memory of the elation when we got the equaliser still remains. As you said, Newport County ffs! A rare glimmer of light in a dark tunnel but, most importantly, we came through it.

Yep ... "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas" belting out from the popside  .. pretty sure fatboyslim John Robertson got the equaliser ? 

On 30/12/2016 at 16:52, ram59 said:

Bad days, but football was in decline as a whole then. Crowds were low, villa averaging about 15000 in the top division 4 years after winning the European Cup, football violence was at its peak, English clubs banned from Europe. 

It all started with Dave Mackay demanding a vote of confidence from the board, months after we just missed out on the double. That 75/76 season saw some of the best football ever played at the BBG. 

But we still had fun in the third division with some memorable matches and away days. 

We got to see just how hard it could rain in bloody Newport.

On 30/12/2016 at 18:52, HantsRam said:

Was it Kirkland (think first name was either Richard or John /jack )?

I think he succeeded longson.

Or Eddie? :lol:

Oi.

Archived