Pride Park again thankfully

Curtains

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a lot worse names for grounds but glad we are going back to Pride Park.

Boring question I know,  but I just dont understand how clubs get the general media to agree/collude with the name change? Obviously the local press and club officials have to use the new name...but personally I have never said I'm 'going to the Ipro'. It's always been Pride Park. Not even done out of some protest...that's what it's called...and most fans whether local or just generally are the same.

So why do the national press agree on 1st Jan (or whatever) to just change the name in the full knowledge no-one really calls it that and in 2years it will revert anyway?

17 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Been a lot worse names for grounds but glad we are going back to Pride Park.

Boring question I know,  but I just dont understand how clubs get the general media to agree/collude with the name change? Obviously the local press and club officials have to use the new name...but personally I have never said I'm 'going to the Ipro'. It's always been Pride Park. Not even done out of some protest...that's what it's called...and most fans whether local or just generally are the same.

So why do the national press agree on 1st Jan (or whatever) to just change the name in the full knowledge no-one really calls it that and in 2years it will revert anyway?

Never ever wanted the Stadium name to change from Pride Park. 

Peter Gadsby and Lionel Pickering along with a lot of others built it thankfully for us Derby fans  

I quite liked the name "The Ipro" to be fair. Bit catchier than pride park.

I await the next name with baited breath. Dont expect it to stay as PPS for too long.

edit: For the record I did start referring to it as the ipro amounst friends and work colleagues, as they did. I might call it PPS in a forum post or text message or something, but never referred to it as Pride Park Stadium in spoken language, and Pride Park to me, is the whole area which the PPS is built on. The Velodrome, football stadium, Roundhouse, numerous hotels, software AG, City Point housing, thats all Pride Park to me.

6 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

edit: For the record I did start referring to it as the ipro amounst friends and work colleagues, as they did. I might call it PPS in a forum post or text message or something, but never referred to it as Pride Park Stadium in spoken language, and Pride Park to me, is the whole area which the PPS is built on. The Velodrome, football stadium, Roundhouse, numerous hotels, software AG, City Point housing, thats all Pride Park to me.

True story

It's changing officially on 1/1/17 for commercial reasons. iPro are currently receiving free advertising as they are not paying us anymore. 

iPro can no longer pay their bills for their huge sponsorship deals (ours being the largest) on account of nobody buying their overpriced and ineffective sports drink, so they have transferred the brand over to a different holding company to continue their desperate attempt to sell more than a couple of bottles leaving us and many others out of pocket.

Would be very interested to know how much money we actually received from them, if any. 

Think iPro have been very clever in doing this which allowed them to overpay for blanket sponsorship, though they are obviously not clever enough to manufacture a drinkable product.

10 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Wish it was originally called something better, with a nod to the past. The Baseball Stadium or something like that.

But Pride Park is definitely a better name than the iPro. Or the City Ground.

Bloody modernists. New racecourse is clearly the only option.

A simple credit check on Ipro three years ago or whenever it was told you they didn't have the capital. I did the check, looks like our CEO didn't. (Tongue in cheek, of course he did, took a risk and got it wrong).

First bad decision Rush made in my opinion. I don't mind a commercial sponsorship worth £700k a year but something which changes a culture must be correct.

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

A simple credit check on Ipro three years ago or whenever it was told you they didn't have the capital. I did the check, looks like our CEO didn't. (Tongue in cheek, of course he did, took a risk and got it wrong).

First bad decision Rush made in my opinion. I don't mind a commercial sponsorship worth £700k a year but something which changes a culture must be correct.

Well we didn't lose anything as there weren't any naming rights prior to the iPro deal unless i'm missing something, agreed though glad its back to Pride Park. With the going back theme, first SM and now this maybe we should bring Clod back, a quick search reveals, rather surprisingly, that he is a free agent.

16 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

It's changing officially on 1/1/17 for commercial reasons. iPro are currently receiving free advertising as they are not paying us anymore. 

iPro can no longer pay their bills for their huge sponsorship deals (ours being the largest) on account of nobody buying their overpriced and ineffective sports drink, so they have transferred the brand over to a different holding company to continue their desperate attempt to sell more than a couple of bottles leaving us and many others out of pocket.

Would be very interested to know how much money we actually received from them, if any. 

Think iPro have been very clever in doing this which allowed them to overpay for blanket sponsorship, though they are obviously not clever enough to manufacture a drinkable product.

Hopefully you have evidence to back up claims like this!

16 hours ago, rammieib said:

I imagine a credit check on Derby County at the time would have shown a company in a very poor financial position, hence the need to try out such deals.

As another poster points out we've lost nothing in the deal (hopefully).

I actually think it was an admirable risk, giving a start up a shot at it, also who knows, the deal may have been front loaded making it an even more attractive proposition although I accept that this is unlikely!

Archived