Arthur on RD

ilkleyram

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, good wasn't it. Some great memories of some successful and happy times for us Rams. We were damn lucky to get him in so he could get us out the black hole of the early 80s. From the oblivion of relegation to Div 3 and the high court to 5th in Div 1 in 5 years was some journey. Loved it. First ST was 84 so perfect timing to see the likes of Chandler, Blades, Palmer, Wallington, Bobby, Wilson, Streete etc quickly evolve into Micklewhite, Cally, Gregory, Williams, Gee, Bobby, Hindmarch, Forsyth etc. Quality management and the players and fans were like a band of brothers. 

Went all over show too - Walsall, Grimsby, Lincoln - usually more Rams than home fans.

King Arthur - a legend for me.

Brought back some great memory's, started watching Derby in 1979. So my best times was watching Mr Cox's team, loved players like Shilton, Wright, Hindmarch, Geriant Williams, Micklewhite, Saunders, Goddard, Macminn, Blades and many more, the season we finished 5th was my best season following the Rams home and away as a 18 year old. Hope these times will be repeated very soon, sure Mr Mac picked up plenty of tips playing under King Arthur.

2 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Yeah, good wasn't it. Some great memories of some successful and happy times for us Rams. We were damn lucky to get him in so he could get us out the black hole of the early 80s. From the oblivion of relegation to Div 3 and the high court to 5th in Div 1 in 5 years was some journey. Loved it. First ST was 84 so perfect timing to see the likes of Chandler, Blades, Palmer, Wallington, Bobby, Wilson, Streete etc quickly evolve into Micklewhite, Cally, Gregory, Williams, Gee, Bobby, Hindmarch, Forsyth etc. Quality management and the players and fans were like a band of brothers. 

Went all over show too - Walsall, Grimsby, Lincoln - usually more Rams than home fans.

King Arthur - a legend for me.

All of the above applies to me exactly.

What a fantastic interview and Arthur's passion for Derby County still shines through.

Built three great teams and was so close to a fourth.Many,many favourites in those years and players of the highest class played for Derby.

Love his description of Mark Wright a thoroughbred and yes he certainly was.

Such a shame it ended how it did,but make no mistake Derby County supporters owe Arthur Cox alot. He saved us from the abyss.

Thanks for the memories.

I often see Arthur and his lovely wife at his favourite restaurant and true gentleman that he is, he always makes time to talk about his Derby County days. He's always very discrete and will never be drawn on controversial topics but does tell the odd funny anecdote about Robert Maxwell, including the one about when Maxwell had a broken foot and Arthur watched at Maxwell's penthouse apartment as Maxwell descended out of the sky in his helicopter with his massive bandaged foot sticking out of the helicopter door...Arthur's eyes shut tight at the memory and he clearly gets much mirth at the thought of it.

A true gentleman and a Derby County legend. I always tell Arthur that he should return to the Club for a game but he seems content to keep the memories that he has of the Club as they are...

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Excellent interview.

King Arthur is the most important manager in my lifetime, the teams he built over and over again will always be the best ever to me. 

Owd Arthur was indeed a king but i'm torn between him and Jim Smith's first 4 seasons. I can't actually believe we've had it so good twice in 'recent' history. About time some other bugger came in and surpassed em both to make it easier to say who's the best.

Actually, you know what; it's Arthur. The repeatedly improved and better teams he set up; the depths we came from; the height we achieved; ST all the way; the away days in 3 divisions; the BBG; terracing; non Prem; the Ramtique; finally doing forest over (2-1, in the back. Dig that one out Mark Crossley. Not a chance!); my age; Bobby; Hebberd at the Bridgford End; Deano at Villa Park, Highbury, Old Trafford, WHL.... everywhere!

TBE (barmy army) was fun and stylish at times but Arthur was me first time!

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Owd Arthur was indeed a king but i'm torn between him and Jim Smith's first 4 seasons. I can't actually believe we've had it so good twice in 'recent' history. About time some other bugger came in and surpassed em both to make it easier to say who's the best.

Actually, you know what; it's Arthur. The repeatedly improved and better teams he set up; the depths we came from; the height we achieved; ST all the way; the away days in 3 divisions; the BBG; terracing; non Prem; the Ramtique; finally doing forest over (2-1, in the back. Dig that one out Mark Crossley. Not a chance!); my age; Bobby; Hebberd at the Bridgford End; Deano at Villa Park, Highbury, Old Trafford, WHL.... everywhere!

Exactly....first love never ever dies..

2 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Couldn't agree more, both incredible knowledge, but just brilliant listening how Arthur constructed his teams.

That interview was great insight, I'd heard the story about Goddard but showed what a true gent Arthur was, with his handling  of sarge. Loved hearing about, his comments of Gee, Stilton and Wright but the one that stood out was Micky Forsyth, he was a real servant and that insight about not wanting to go off with a broken nose at Arsenal showed he was an unsung hero; showed the spirit of Arthurs sides too.

Was a shame how it all went pear shaped but so typical of the drama that has been Derby County. Made me want to search YouTube for some of those games.

On 4 January 2017 at 11:08, therealhantsram said:

Good listen. Would have loved more. Would have liked to have heard Cox's reflections on the Cruyff saga, and also on the Kubic and Knoflecek nonsense. 

Can we have more Arthur please RD? 

Read stuart webbs book.

arthur blanked it / them 

even stuart thought it was a total waste of time.

On 28/12/2016 at 02:24, Grimbeard said:

All of the above applies to me exactly.

Me too...must be an age thing :)  Still remember fondly trips to the likes of Bristol Rovers (when they played in Bath!), Doncaster when it was effectively an add-on to the racecourse etc

Archived