La Liga too easy, Premier League strongest in the world

David

5 minutes ago, David said:

I make a judgement by watching games which so happen to be on Sky Sports, forget Real, Barca, I can see with my own eyes just how poor the sides are at the bottom. I've honestly seen better Championship sides. 

Burnley would finish mid table in La Liga easily. 

Theres nothing wrong with being a Barca fanboy as they play the best football in the world which they continue even in Europe, Real as well, don't sit here trying to make out the rest of La Liga is any better than duff because that's where it is. 

Which games are you basing ths off? Give me some examples of the La Liga games you've watched this season to come up with such an absurd conclusion.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

The PL is more competitive because there are simply no outstanding teams. Barcelona and Real Madrid now are miles better than any English team in recent Premier League history. Who comes close?

Nobody has come close, ever. 

The quality line drops off a cliff once you go outside of the top 3 in La Liga compared to a gradual decline in the PL.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Which games are you basing ths off? Give me some examples of the La Liga games you've watched this season to come up with such an absurd conclusion.

Absurd? Have a read of your own posts and articles! ??

Just now, David said:

Nobody has come close, ever. 

The quality line drops off a cliff once you go outside of the top 3 in La Liga compared to a gradual decline in the PL.

So the difference in quality between Barca and Real and the rest of the PL is massive, and the difference between Barca and Real and the rest of La Liga is massive, so that makes the PL somehow better than La Liga?

Your arguement makes no sense.

The PL is more competitive because there isn't a Real or Barca. But takes those two out of La Liga and you'll have a league which is just as competitve as the PL. Doesn't mean the quality in the PL is better... It isn't.

11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

So the difference in quality between Barca and Real and the rest of the PL is massive, and the difference between Barca and Real and the rest of La Liga is massive, so that makes the PL somehow better than La Liga?

Your arguement makes no sense.

The PL is more competitive because there isn't a Real or Barca. But takes those two out of La Liga and you'll have a league which is just as competitve as the PL. Doesn't mean the quality in the PL is better... It isn't.

Would you honestly watch La Liga without Barca or Real?

Yes it would become more competitive without them but it would be low on quality. 

The Premier League has more clubs that can fight for the title with quality sides (not Real Barca standards) and that quality has a slower drop off rate than La Liga.

Pedro called the Premier League the strongest league, the article I used to create this thread, strongest is what I agree with and it will only get stronger with the obscene amount of money in this league.

31 minutes ago, David said:

Would you honestly watch La Liga without Barca or Real?

Yes it would become more competitive without them but it would be low on quality. 

The Premier League has more clubs that can fight for the title with quality sides (not Real Barca standards) and that quality has a slower drop off rate than La Liga.

Pedro called the Premier League the strongest league, the article I used to create this thread, strongest is what I agree with and it will only get stronger with the obscene amount of money in this league.

Why would it be low on quality?

For starters Sevilla and Atletico Madrid have proven to be better than England's top clubs. Without Barca or Real, money would be distributed more among other clubs and there would be another superpower. That's just how it works.

You say the PL has more sides which can fight for the title with quality... Take out Real and Barca and it would be the same in Spain. Or are you trying to convince me that Liverpool and Arsenal are better than Sevilla and Atletico? Because they're not...

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Why would it be low on quality?

For starters Sevilla and Atletico Madrid have proven to be better than England's top clubs.

Proven in a cup competition, not a 38 game season. Mourinho has even said in Spain and Italy you are able to rest players, take things easier in games prior to European games where as England you can't. Leicester players are trying now, can see where it's getting them in the League. 

Theres no real way of comparing the rest of the league as Cup competitions are between the top clubs. 

I can only talk of watching games and what I've seen is very little this season but very poor, some games will struggle to hold my attention for 45 minutes and I've just watched the entire first half of Derby v Birmingham.

Without Barca or Real, money would be distributed more among other clubs and there would be another superpower. That's just how it works.

How much money would be there? TV deals wouldn't be anywhere near what they are now and advertising revenue would be down. 

You say the PL has more sides which can fight for the title with quality... Take out Real and Barca and it would be the same in Spain. Or are you trying to convince me that Liverpool and Arsenal are better than Sevilla and Atletico? Because they're not...

In England we have 5 clubs with quality that are capable of winning the title. La Liga you have 2 which if you take away yes you would have 5 at a push which would fight for it and no I don't think it would be the same level as the PL.

You won't agree and that's fine I've seen many posts on English football and we clearly see different things and prefer different styles of football. 

48 minutes ago, David said:

Proven in a cup competition, not a 38 game season. Mourinho has even said in Spain and Italy you are able to rest players, take things easier in games prior to European games where as England you can't. Leicester players are trying now, can see where it's getting them in the League. 

Theres no real way of comparing the rest of the league as Cup competitions are between the top clubs. 

I can only talk of watching games and what I've seen is very little this season but very poor, some games will struggle to hold my attention for 45 minutes and I've just watched the entire first half of Derby v Birmingham.

How much money would be there? TV deals wouldn't be anywhere near what they are now and advertising revenue would be down. 

In England we have 5 clubs with quality that are capable of winning the title. La Liga you have 2 which if you take away yes you would have 5 at a push which would fight for it and no I don't think it would be the same level as the PL.

You won't agree and that's fine I've seen many posts on English football and we clearly see different things and prefer different styles of football. 

I don't believe in the resting theory. In England you fighr for the title, the FA Cup and in Europe. The bigger clubs don't care about the League Cup and play the reserves.

How is that any different in Spain when they fight for La Liga, Copa Del Rey and Europe? It's the same.

Barcelona have tried to rest players this season. They lost at home to Alaves 2-1, drew 0-0 with Malaga and lost 4-3 at Celta Vigo. There is your proof that you can't just rest your best players and ease by.

There is a myth that Spain's lesser clubs are weaker than the PL's lesser clubs because the gap between Real/Barca and those clubs is so big. But it would be exactly the same if Barca/Real were in the PL.

Your 'five clubs with quality' I assume are City, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and Liverpool. OK if you're going to remove Real/Barca, let's remove City and Chelsea for arguements sake.

So your left with Arsenal, Liverpool, United and lets add Spurs. Are they better than Atletico, Sevilla, Villarreal and Athletic Bilbao? Quite frankly, no they're not. More expensively-assembled squads certainly, but in terms of quality, no.

Add the fact that Baca and Real are the best two sides in the world, it's a no-brainer that La Liga has more quality.

I don't believe in the resting theory. In England you fighr for the title, the FA Cup and in Europe. The bigger clubs don't care about the League Cup and play the reserves.

How is that any different in Spain when they fight for La Liga, Copa Del Rey and Europe? It's the same.

Barcelona have tried to rest players this season. They lost at home to Alaves 2-1, drew 0-0 with Malaga and lost 4-3 at Celta Vigo. There is your proof that you can't just rest your best players and ease by.

There is a myth that Spain's lesser clubs are weaker than the PL's lesser clubs because the gap between Real/Barca and those clubs is so big. But it would be exactly the same if Barca/Real were in the PL.

Your 'five clubs with quality' I assume are City, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and Liverpool. OK if you're going to remove Real/Barca, let's remove City and Chelsea for arguements sake.

So your left with Arsenal, Liverpool, United and lets add Spurs. Are they better than Atletico, Sevilla, Villarreal and Athletic Bilbao? Quite frankly, no they're not. More expensively-assembled squads certainly, but in terms of quality, no.

Add the fact that Baca and Real are the best two sides in the world, it's a no-brainer that La Liga has more quality.

Agree to disagree?

Just now, David said:

Agree to disagree?

Sure.

What I find interesting about Pedro's opinion though. He says La Liga is easy playing for Barcelona. I wonder if he would say the same playing for Sevilla? Wouuld he then say La Liga is the hardest league to win?

The PL in terms of style and diversity is definitely the most interesting league in the world. I'd go along with that,

30 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

when was the last time an english team won Europa

12/13 Chelsea

exactly

Not entirely sure what that exactly proves when Pedro is talking about the Premier League being the strongest.

Cup competitions are between the top clubs and tells you nothing about the rest of the league.

Could easily throw in the CL last 10 finals 5 have had Premier League clubs, 5 La Liga, 3 Bundesliga, 2 Serie A.

Still doesn't mean much.

By the way, Liverpool had a game on the Sunday which they needed to win before the final on Wednesday. Sevilla had an extra day and Coke who bagged 2 even longer as he got sent off early on the previous game this is why you need a full 38 game season to really compare.

17 hours ago, David said:

Since 1990 I think without double checking that both la liga and the premier league have had 5 different winners.

In the last 5 years - 3 teams have won la liga, 4 have won the prem. This includes Leicester who realistically you wouldn't class as contenders... 

The premier league was seen as being the best in the world when only Arsenal or Manu won the league.

On 12/27/2016 at 14:22, SaintRam said:

This is the key argument for me.

People focus way too much on the best team from league A v the best team from league B and use that to settle which league is better, but for me when you're comparing an entire league you have to compare the average/worst teams from league A to the average/worst teams in League B.

The Premier League is far more competitive than La Liga, and for me that makes it far better. I can't see that ever changing either.

Yes, Barca and Madrid are probably better than any prem team, well done La Liga advocates! Have a cookie.

You are right that all teams in the respective leagues need to be considered. But if Premier League teams (all of them) have a record, in Europe since 1992, of 36 wins and 36 losses against La Liga teams (not including Barca and Real), why is it safe to assume that the Premier League is consistently more competitive.  Premier League advocates seem to forget to allow for the extremely high quality of Real Madrid and Barcelona when attempting to assess the overall quality of La Liga. Those clubs have had the quality in recent years to make any league appear uncompetitive. Offers around a plate of chocolate biscuits to Premier League fans. :p

On 12/27/2016 at 10:23, McLovin said:

Messi would score just as many goals in the premier league as in La Liga, just like the likes of Costa, Aguero, Sanchez are.

In fact, the 3 you've mentioned have found the Premier League easier...based on their goal stats. 

On 12/27/2016 at 14:51, David said:

Burnley would finish mid table in La Liga easily.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd be very skeptical to say the least. Unfortunately they won't be playing Spanish teams any time soon so we won't get any clues as to it's accuracy.  If they were to manage it, they would have to do without the ball.  They would probably be very dangerous at set pieces though. 

Just now, Highgate said:

You are right that all teams in the respective leagues need to be considered. But if Premier League teams (all of them) have a record, in Europe since 1992, of 36 wins and 36 losses against La Liga teams (not including Barca and Real), why is it safe to assume that the Premier League is consistently more competitive.  Premier League advocates seem to forget to allow for the extremely high quality of Real Madrid and Barcelona when attempting to assess the overall quality of La Liga. Those clubs have had the quality in recent years to make any league appear uncompetitive. Offers around a plate of chocolate biscuits to Premier League fans. :p

While I understand the attraction of comparing the two leagues with games between them I don't think that's entirely valid, as there are many factors involved in the comparison of specific teams based on their games against each other (playstyle etc.) that are irrelevant in the discussion of the league overall. 

It may also be a difference in perspective regarding the definition of the term "better". I look at Football from the perspective of entertainment, that is all it is to me. And what I find most entertaining about football is it's competitive nature and I think English Football in general is more competitive.

Every team in La Liga could be better than every team in the Premier League and that would not necessarily change my perspective on which league is "better".

In that situation, the debate on which league harbors more quality would be short and simple, but it's possible there would still be a disparity of quality between the top of that league and the bottom that caused it to be uncompetitive. 

I watch the Premier League, I watch some La Liga - and I find I am both entertained and surprised by Premier League matches more often.

As an added note, as much respect as I have for Barca's quality which is unequivocal, I don't find I'm entertained by them nearly as much as I feel I should be.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

While I understand the attraction of comparing the two leagues with games between them I don't think that's entirely valid, as there are many factors involved in the comparison of specific teams based on their games against each other (playstyle etc.) that are irrelevant in the discussion of the league overall. 

It may also be a difference in perspective regarding the definition of the term "better". I look at Football from the perspective of entertainment, that is all it is to me. And what I find most entertaining about football is it's competitive nature and I think English Football in general is more competitive.

Every team in La Liga could be better than every team in the Premier League and that would not necessarily change my perspective on which league is "better".

In that situation, the debate on which league harbors more quality would be short and simple, but it's possible there would still be a disparity of quality between the top of that league and the bottom that caused it to be uncompetitive. 

I watch the Premier League, I watch some La Liga - and I find I am both entertained and surprised by Premier League matches more often.

As an added note, as much respect as I have for Barca's quality which is unequivocal, I don't find I'm entertained by them nearly as much as I feel I should be.

Comparing the quality of teams by assessing the results between those teams is all we have really, isn't that what football is all about? You are right though, it's not conclusive about the overall comparative quality of the two leagues. I wouldn't say it's irrelevant however, and i only highlight it in the hope that those that claim that the Premier League is consistently the better of the two leagues may have some reason to question the validity of their belief.

If it's entertainment value rather than the actual standards of the teams that is your focus, then your point can't be argued with.  It's a subjective matter, you find the Premier League more entertaining, as many people do.  To be honest, i find them both very entertaining. 

If you find competitiveness the most attractive aspect of football, and concede that higher standards don't make for 'better' football as far as you are concerned, then I think you would have to also concede that you don't know which is the 'best league in the world' on this basis.  The Tajik Premier or Lithuanian 2nd tier may have a level of savage competition that would leave the Premier League teams in their wake.

I agree some Barca games can be tedious if the opposition decide to defend their box and little else...on the other hand show me a premier league game that had 5 goals of the quality seen in  Barca's recent 4-1 win over Espanyol recently.

Archived