La Liga too easy, Premier League strongest in the world

Day

I'd go as far as to say there isn't a team in England that would finish in the top 3 of la liga but there's at least 3 from la liga that could win the premier league. 

If you look at the two tables combined you can compare who you think is stronger in each position...

1: Madrid v Chelsea 

2: Barca v Man City 

3: Sevilla v Liverpool 

4: Villarreal v arsenal 

5: Sociedad v spurs 

6: A. Madrid v Manu 

7: Bilbao v Everton 

8: eibar v saints 

9: Espanyol v west brom

10: las palmas v watford

11: West Ham v Malaga 

12: Stoke v Alaves 

13: Bournemouth v celta Vigo 

14: Burnley v betis

15: Boro v deportivo

16: Leicester v leganas

17: Palace v Valencia 

18: Sunderland v sporting 

19: SwNsea v Granada 

20: Hull v osasuna 

what do you think??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 7 look interesting games, obviously you would have Barca and Real wins and beyond the next 5 looks super easy for the Premier League sides which is why players and managers call the PL the strongest in the world.

Barca and Real are 2 of the top 3 sides in the world regardless of which league they play, whilst La Liga has a handful of teams that would give PL sides a run for their money beyond that it's utter tosh, really is.

Would love to have seen Messi in the Premier League, not to see if he could do it at Stoke on a Tuesday night but as great of a player he is, I have serious doubts he would score as many as he has in La Liga. He would be up there, but nowhere near the insane goal to game ratio he has in my opinion.

I don't blame him for not moving and trying different leagues, the guys an absolute legend for Barca living the easy life....until is tax return date.

Suarez told the Daily Mail."There is very little between the teams. Here, three or four teams aside, there is a difference with the smaller teams.

"I don’t mean this to sound disrespectful but there are some games where you look at the press and they are asking: ‘Let’s see how many goals Barcelona are going to score today?’ In the Premier League, you never know what is going to happen and that is something I miss.

Suarez talking February this year

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/luis-suarez-explains-difference-between-7361879.amp?client=safari

In July banging the PL drum still

'The Premier League is the best league in the world but Barcelona are the best team,' the 28-year-old told ESPN Deportes Radio.

'I do not consider myself one of the best players in the world but it is a pleasure to play in the best team.

We as fans can sit here and argue all we like from our sofas having never played professionally and some think I'm trolling, I'm not, you have 2 players Suarez and Pedro that have been at Barca and the Prem calling the Prem the best, strongest, hardest league in the world.

To argue against it would be like arguing with Colonel Sanders how to cook chicken 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3181007/Luis-Suarez-says-Premier-League-best-league-honoured-play-Barcelona.html

It's all about opinions. The likes of Ronaldo, Modric and Ancelotti say that La Liga is the best league in the world.

Suarez was probably being humble because it was an interview for an English newspaper and he said the lesser teams in spain are tougher to play against because they defend close together which means there is less space.

Torres called the premier league overrated:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/former-chelsea-and-liverpool-striker-fernando-torres-the-premier-league-is-overrated-9874864.html

Carlo Ancelotti's opinion is probably the best, non biased view to look at as he has managed in every major european league in europe: This is what he says:

Which is the toughest league in Europe to win?
Keil Hampton, via Facebook

For the quality of play, it is Spain. All the teams can play – even the smaller teams. Just look at what the Spanish sides do in European competition. Both Atletico and Real Madrid were in the Champions League final, Sevilla were in the Europa League final, and Villarreal were in the semi-finals. For tactics, I would say it’s Italy, as there you have to think about a lot of different systems. One week you play against 4-4-2, then 4-3-3, and then 3-5-2, so Italian managers gain a lot of experience and knowledge. Tactically, Italy is a really tough league, because the play is compressed. In England the league is also different: it is a lot more intense, and the games are more spectacular. Look at Leicester winning the title this season – it is really competitive. Lots of teams can create problems for the bigger teams. It is a really balanced league. In France now, there is only one team: PSG.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/carlo-ancelotti-one-one-once-i-kicked-a-box-and-it-landed-ibrahimovics-head-he-didnt-react

Suarez was being humble, ignore Pedro, Mourinho who?.....you should listen to Torres the flop, Ancelotti, Modric, Ronaldo instead but it's all about opinions......

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo says the Premier League is superior to the Spanish Liga. Ronaldo believes Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City represent a competition that remains stronger than the Spanish League.

He told the Mirror: "They are the two best leagues in the world but the English Premier League is more competitive.

"La Liga is competitive but not as intense as England. In Spain the play is more technical, they like to have the ball, they play more football.

"In England, it is more intense, referees let the game go on more, and I think fans there like that. I like that too - quick football, tackles, it's brilliant.

"I understand that it is great to watch, but sometimes for the more skilful players, who have more imagination, it can make life hard.

"You don't get so much protection. In Spain, some might say you get too much but for a guy who likes to dribble it is important. Both leagues though are very, very cool."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/real-madrid-star-ronaldo-premier-league-better-spanish-liga-2542011#RxM9CILdV6T6vJB3.99

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news/3277/la-liga/2012/01/16/2850292/real-madrids-cristiano-ronaldo-the-premier-league-is-more?client=safari

34 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Comon David you can do better than that, that article was 5 years ago where I agree the premier league was probably better at that time. How about one from this year where Ronaldo said both are great leagues but he has to say La Liga?

Exactly, PL is even stronger now. Ronaldo is just being humble if he's saying different now

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

We had a star performer from the Spanish top league two years ago.

came highly rated,

i assume he's out injured at the mo, can't see him in our team?

Albentosa? Derby flop now regular for 16th place La Liga side Deportivo....Ryan Babel there now as well the PL flop

4 hours ago, David said:

Suarez told the Daily Mail."There is very little between the teams. Here, three or four teams aside, there is a difference with the smaller teams.

"I don’t mean this to sound disrespectful but there are some games where you look at the press and they are asking: ‘Let’s see how many goals Barcelona are going to score today?’ In the Premier League, you never know what is going to happen and that is something I miss.

Suarez talking February this year

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/luis-suarez-explains-difference-between-7361879.amp?client=safari

This is the key argument for me.

People focus way too much on the best team from league A v the best team from league B and use that to settle which league is better, but for me when you're comparing an entire league you have to compare the average/worst teams from league A to the average/worst teams in League B.

The Premier League is far more competitive than La Liga, and for me that makes it far better. I can't see that ever changing either.

Yes, Barca and Madrid are probably better than any prem team, well done La Liga advocates! Have a cookie.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

This is the key argument for me.

People focus way too much on the best team from league A v the best team from league B and use that to settle which league is better, but for me when you're comparing an entire league you have to compare the average/worst teams from league A to the average/worst teams in League B.

The Premier League is far more competitive than La Liga, and for me that makes it far better. I can't see that ever changing either.

Yes, Barca and Madrid are probably better than any prem team, well done La Liga advocates! Have a cookie.

Exactly.

Take Barca and Real out of La Liga how much interest would there be in that league.

Take Man City and Chelsea out of the Premier League how much interest would there be.

Barca and Real are miles ahead of anything the PL can offer, no problem with that at all, but to suggest the mid table and below has anything about them is nuts.

With the revenue in the PL it's only going to get even more competitive.

Just now, David said:

Exactly.

Take Barca and Real out of La Liga how much interest would there be in that league.

Take Man City and Chelsea out of the Premier League how much interest would there be.

Barca and Real are miles ahead of anything the PL can offer, no problem with that at all, but to suggest the mid table and below has anything about them is nuts.

Just because the gap between the top Spanish teams and the lesser teams in Spain is bigger than in england, doesn't make the lesser Spnaish teams weaker than their English counterparts, it just means that the best Spanish teams are better and there is a bigger gap. We will never know how good they do indeed compare to their English counterparts, we can only compare using the results in european competitions which @Highgate's stats show, are in favour of Spanish teams. You can argue that the teams mid table in the prem are average too, please don't try and act that the likes of Burnley,Hull,Swansea and Sunderland have anything about them that make them any good, arguing any different means you have been listening to Sky Sports too much. The likes of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth are lauded for their attacking style of play, incidentally he based his philosophy off the Spanish game which he has admitted.

14 minutes ago, David said:

Talking of Albentosa, his former club Eibar his former club in La Liga, average attendance this season 4,857 (capacity 6,285). Grimsby Town in League 2 5,291.

That really doesn't have to do with anything. If you knew about the poor financial situation in Spain, you would know that many can't afford to go to games and many lesser teams struggle to keep affloat, meaning that there is little point expanding stadiums(which they probably wouldn't be able to afford anyway). We are quite fortunate in this country that many of us are fortunate to be able to afford to go to games.

I think it's credit to the Spanish teams that despite the Premier League having more money, they tend to do better than their English counterparts in European Competitions (not just the champions league where we are in agreement that the best spanish teams are better). Anyway that's enough debate for one day, going to enjoy watching Derby hopefully thump Brum now :)

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Just because the gap between the top Spanish teams and the lesser teams in Spain is bigger than in england, doesn't make the lesser Spnaish teams weaker than their English counterparts, it just means that the best Spanish teams are better and there is a bigger gap. We will never know how good they do indeed compare to their English counterparts, we can only compare using the results in european competitions which @Highgate's stats show, are in favour of Spanish teams. You can argue that the teams mid table in the prem are average too, please don't try and act that the likes of Burnley,Hull,Swansea and Sunderland have anything about them that make them any good, arguing any different means you have been listening to Sky Sports too much. The likes of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth are lauded for their attacking style of play, incidentally he based his philosophy off the Spanish game which he has admitted.

I make a judgement by watching games which so happen to be on Sky Sports, forget Real, Barca, I can see with my own eyes just how poor the sides are at the bottom. I've honestly seen better Championship sides. 

Burnley would finish mid table in La Liga easily. 

Theres nothing wrong with being a Barca fanboy as they play the best football in the world which they continue even in Europe, Real as well, don't sit here trying to make out the rest of La Liga is any better than duff because that's where it is. 

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

That really doesn't have to do with anything. If you knew about the poor financial situation in Spain, you would know that many can't afford to go to games and many lesser teams struggle to keep affloat, meaning that there is little point expanding stadiums(which they probably wouldn't be able to afford anyway). We are quite fortunate in this country that many of us are fortunate to be able to afford to go to games.

It highlights the difference in revenue which enables PL clubs to buy better quality players, yes some are overpriced but we have far better players throughout the PL as a league which makes it more competitive. 

The PL is more competitive because there are simply no outstanding teams. Barcelona and Real Madrid now are miles better than any English team in recent Premier League history. Who comes close?

I don't think anyone can seriously put up an arguement in terms of quaity. La Liga has more quality, the lesser teams play a far better brand of football than their English counterparts.

Using examples like Albentosa struggling at Derby but succeeding in La Liga makes no sense. So what? Coutinho couldn't get a game at Inter Milan yet soon became Liverpool's top man. Does that mean Serie A is better than the PL?

The PL is the most diverse league in the world in terms of playing style and nationality. We should embrace that. But let's not kid ourselves over the quality. 

West Brom spending like £30m more than Athletic Bilbao or Malaga doesn't make them any better. 

Archived