Morbid thought for Xmas Day from The Grinch

sage

56 minutes ago, sage said:

FFP?

Has it left us in a worse position for the next 1 or 2 transfer windows?

We've spent enough over the past few windows to assemble a squad good enough to challenge for promotion.

Does anyone even take any notice of FFP?  Have QPR paid their £65million fine yet?

As long as our owner and board are happy with our finances that is good enough for me.

Hendrick pretty much offset Vydra/Anya and I would be very surprised if any big outlay was required to see Pearson on his way.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, sage said:

I had a season ticket in the 80s. I saw that rubbish.

I think we are in a decent position now. We certainly have a generous owner, great facilities and a top coach. 

However, i still think that the NP appointment, even though he is long gone, will continue you to affect us. 

Pearson killed my frog too.

11 hours ago, eddie said:

It hasn't cost me - or you - a penny.

'Tas then , Sky ain't free you know ..

5 hours ago, sage said:

I went to Benfica and Barnsley away to see abject football. 

i paid a huge Sky subscription to watch that Pearson rubbish

On Mac and FFP - I don't remember anything solid, but I do remember it was speculated on here and elsewhere. I don't personally think it was done for that reason, but that might have been a nice side effect.

Forest took notice of FFP ;)

I don't think Pearson cost us any more financially than any similar hypothetical manager might have done in the summer, his mutual agreement is probably less than his full contract because of "the mythical disciplinary process" but I doubt it's nothing. Probably a compromise on the basis he can find new work and give him a clean record leaving us.

The transfers were not that bad, especially if we consider the plan was to play 4-4-2, we got a good price for Hendrick (and from the fists non tighter of Burnley) - it's just the Martin situation that was so baffling - If he'd been sold for £9m then at least it'd have been closed.

Vydra, I think is unfortunate as the team's not developed in a way that suits him, Anya has a bit more to give than we've perhaps seen, certainly no worse than the JR/Camara/Weimann set. 

But in opportunity lost, that very poor start has cost us, but we have recovered.

7 hours ago, t'oldu said:

Rumour has it that SM was offered his job back to cancel part of his severance deal..... ie he was the cheap option  and least disruptive of FFP.   Fortunately part of the deal seems to be that he maintained the support team 'in situ' and they agreed to stay. So there was no payoff to coaches . Pearson will be being paid on the drip ??  And we still have Chrissie Powell and a good coaching team .

While i dont know i doubt he was still being paid. I would expect when he took the Newcastle Job that was it with regards to any severance package. He was under contract to us before this so any severance deal would surely have been paid over the remainder of his contract with a clause that he could not seek work elsewhere during that period unless he chose to lose his severance.

.I am sure Clement would have had a similiar deal which ceased when he took his new job, and likewise Pearson will have something in place too, unless there were grounds for gross misconduct which was handled by all parties agreeing some amicable deal to save face on both sides.

17 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Anya at cost was a snip. We've yet to see anything near what he's got to offer. Vydra was about 5 mill too much than what we paid IMO.

As for the 'Pearson Effect' I see what you're saying but we weren't to know that Mac would see us on this cracking run. Just like if Pearson had got us more points than he did, what if Mac had not done as well as he has? All ifs and buts.

The season is long enough. If we're good enough to get promoted then we will do.

I do concede that it is reasonable to have expected Pearson to have achieved a higher points haul meaning overall we should be battling with Newcastle and Brighton.

I think you are right with that for sure.

We'll get where we need to be.

It's not the player's ability which is in question... I mean, ability wise, people may feel he is worth even more than what we paid for him. The reason he is costly to us is because he doesn't fit into the system.

Both Anya and Vydra evidently can't play to their potential in our system. So we have vastly overpaid for both, because we've spent roughly £13m on two players who can't get into our starting XI.

Right now I just see Anya and Vydra as two players taking up spots in our squad that we instead ought to be giving to players from our academy, regardless of whether they're ready or not.

Bit harsh on Anya - I think he'd be perfect in the Russell position. Somehow Russell is dominating the position without contributing anything. I hope Mac gives Anya 3/4 games in a row there. 

Vydra on the other hand - I'm not seeing the 'he's played well' in the recent games. I must be watching different games to some. Every Watford fan said he needed a big guy up with him. It's true - our team don't play through balls and when Vydra did make runs they always seem the opposite direction to the ball!!

Yeah, I don't see where he's played well either. Don't think he's been poor but he's done nothing I wouldn't expect from anyone else. 

It will be interesting to see where Blackman fits in because I think (based on nothing but my imagination tbh) that Mac will fancy him as a striker unless we bring in a new alternative to Bent. 

That would push Vydra to challenging on the wings where in this set up is the only place I can see him getting a run of games. 

He just doesn't seem any closer to grasping his role. 

Anya used to wind me up because he was obsessed with crossing. To Vydra. Who's tiny. And surrounded. Maybe with us pushing more to the box now and Bent being there he'll look better? I like his reliability on the ball. Sharper than Russell. Better? Too early to say isn't it? But he's less sloppy

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's not the player's ability which is in question... I mean, ability wise, people may feel he is worth even more than what we paid for him. The reason he is costly to us is because he doesn't fit into the system.

Both Anya and Vydra evidently can't play to their potential in our system. So we have vastly overpaid for both, because we've spent roughly £13m on two players who can't get into our starting XI.

Right now I just see Anya and Vydra as two players taking up spots in our squad that we instead ought to be giving to players from our academy, regardless of whether they're ready or not.

In fairness last season it was looking like a lot of our players didn't fit our system but MAC has managed to get them comfortable enough with their roles to do a solid job. That's all we need from them - solid performances so they hold their transfer value and create interest from other teams with a bit of money. 

I'm not worried about the signings, they'll go up or down in value. They're on the balance sheet.

League position is fugazi. We might be a bit higher. Might not.

What's really scary is that he's given our bestest matchwinner away to the team that are looking like our strongest rivals for the last promotion spot. If Chris Martin fires Fulham to the premiership and we miss out while struggling for a striker then Nigel Pearson can tell his great grandkids that he pulled of the costliest single transfer mistake in history. It even eclipses the Paul Pogba debacle.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

I'm not worried about the signings, they'll go up or down in value. They're on the balance sheet.

League position is fugazi. We might be a bit higher. Might not.

What's really scary is that he's given our bestest matchwinner away to the team that are looking like our strongest rivals for the last promotion spot. If Chris Martin fires Fulham to the premiership and we miss out while struggling for a striker then Nigel Pearson can tell his great grandkids that he pulled of the costliest single transfer mistake in history. It even eclipses the Paul Pogba debacle.

if Martin was here, he might have scored more than Vydra and Bent, but equally you can bet your bottom dollar that Ince wouldnt have scored as many, and derby wouldnt have got 22 from the last 24 points available.

Theres no way Pearson regards selling Martin as a big mistake. Likewise he alone isnt the answer to improving the current team.

3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Theres no way Pearson regards selling Martin as a big mistake. Likewise he alone isnt the answer to improving the current team.

Pearson doesn't admit his mistakes, fullstop.

Of course we need more than CM to improve the team.

On 27/12/2016 at 17:48, Alpha said:

The useless knobber didn't even sell him. He loaned him out. 

He couldn't even manage to be **** properly 

Well thank god he didn't :lol:, I doubt it was ever his intention but it looks like him failing in his mission to be the biggest **** possible has worked out for us

• 3 weeks later...

Archived