Derby County Supporter Survey - 5 Year Season Ticket Prize Draw!

David

Somewhat surprised people would be willing to pay as much as has been mentioned on here for a stream of the game.

For me I put less than a fiver, but would probably stretch to 5-8 if it was quality coverage, with proper pre-match build up, perhaps with some ex-rams and a post match interview. A lot of the big games will be on Sky, and can watch them in the pub for free and spend the money on beer instead, would rather do that than sit at home and watch for the same money.

If the price point was around £5, then I probably would be tempted to watch away games on a fairly regular basis, but much more than that and I think it becomes a bit much. I appreciate its nothing compared to the cost of an away day, but its not even remotely the same thing - going on a day out should be more expensive. Also, as I can get radio derby coverage for free, or even a RamsPlayer subscription for around £40 for the year (i think?), seems bit steep to consider coughing up £10 or more to watch away games on top of home game tickets.

But then again maybe I'm just tight.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Found it really difficult to answer "what's the most exciting game you've watched on TV?" question. I've been on this planet for 22 years and no game sprang to mind immediately.

Despite the fact I love the sport, I don't watch many games on TV - or at least, I don't make a habit of deliberately clearing 2 hours out of my day to watch a match that doesn't involve Derby. If I do, I'm probably more likely to watch two of our rivals in action than a Premier League game, unless it's a really big one.

Because I'm so ridiculously Derby-minded, I struggle to sit down for 90 minutes and watch other teams. I'd sooner watch 90 minutes of teletext updates for us away at Rotherham than the Champions League final in 4K HD if both were on at the same time.

Can't ever imagine forking out the money for Sky Sports on that basis. The way I enjoy watching non-Derby football the most is on MOTD which I get with my TV licence anyway. So yeah, I'd definitely lay down some cheddar to stream away games I can't get to.

I've got to agree with all of this. I do sit and watch other games on the telly box if it means the missus goes of upstairs to watch Emmercoronationenders, but I don't think to myself that I really need to hurry home to watch Chelsea v Swansea.

1 hour ago, Derbydave96 said:

Somewhat surprised people would be willing to pay as much as has been mentioned on here for a stream of the game.

For me I put less than a fiver, but would probably stretch to 5-8 if it was quality coverage, with proper pre-match build up, perhaps with some ex-rams and a post match interview. A lot of the big games will be on Sky, and can watch them in the pub for free and spend the money on beer instead, would rather do that than sit at home and watch for the same money.

If the price point was around £5, then I probably would be tempted to watch away games on a fairly regular basis, but much more than that and I think it becomes a bit much. I appreciate its nothing compared to the cost of an away day, but its not even remotely the same thing - going on a day out should be more expensive. Also, as I can get radio derby coverage for free, or even a RamsPlayer subscription for around £40 for the year (i think?), seems bit steep to consider coughing up £10 or more to watch away games on top of home game tickets.

No I'm with you. Anything more than about £7 or £8 a game and I'd have to measure and consider every game I choose. Probably only go for a few big ones. QPR and Fulham wouldn't have made the cut, for sure. My Season Ticket already sets me back a big chunk, I already can't afford away days generally so this has to be a middle ground. I think most of us would find a monthly subscription of about £15 or £20 a month a better idea. I'd pay that just for the away games, I already go to all the home. 

3 hours ago, Derbydave96 said:

I'm with you.

Fiver sounds about right. For some reason people compare watching it from telly to match day experience. Surely you'll should get quite a lot to watch with 15€/game or 60£/month?

If I paid 15 per match, I'd demand personal assistant to throw beer all over me when needed to.

On 24/12/2016 at 13:47, Dimmu said:

I'm with you.

Fiver sounds about right. For some reason people compare watching it from telly to match day experience. Surely you'll should get quite a lot to watch with 15€/game or 60£/month?

If I paid 15 per match, I'd demand personal assistant to throw beer all over me when needed to.

If you look at away games, £25-35 for a ticket, £20 road rider/train, food, drinks, soon turns into an expensive trip. Even home games I somehow spend near on £40 per game even with a season ticket.

£15 per game does sound a tad expensive but a tenner seems reasonable, when you think it costs you that for the cinema these days for a 2hr film with the same risk of it being a duffer.

Few mates round, Smart TV's have YouTube apps now, if it was through the club site hdmi cable to the TV or airplay if you have Apple TV, soon ends up being nothing.

32 minutes ago, David said:

If the game is on TV less fans turn up, myth buster....

I had a season ticket for my last 16 years living in England. I certainly wouldn't have missed a game just because it was on the telly. For the few games that did coincide I recorded them and then watched them back later. Nothing for me beats a live game in the stadium. The recording helped me see things differently afterwards. I know that next time I'm over in England and the Rams are at home I'll do my best to get to it, even if it is live on the telly. What Mel Morris is trying to do (apart from improve how tv income is shared around) is enable people like me to watch a game "live". A lot will depend on the cost but I know that I will be watching as many as I possibly can. I'm sure others in my situation will do the same. Perhaps someone could do a survey where we can say whether we will be taking up the chance. Include options for those living in England and those of us abroad.

3 hours ago, David said:

If you look at away games, £25-35 for a ticket, £20 road rider/train, food, drinks, soon turns into an expensive trip. Even home games I somehow spend near on £40 per game even with a season ticket.

£15 per game does sound a tad expensive but a tenner seems reasonable, when you think it costs you that for the cinema these days for a 2hr film with the same risk of it being a duffer.

Few mates round, Smart TV's have YouTube apps now, if it was through the club site hdmi cable to the TV or airplay if you have Apple TV, soon ends up being nothing.

I chose the option 5-8£ and I wouldn't mind away game being little bit more expensive.  But the main problem with prices are context as football game shouldn't cost 25-35£! It's unbelievable that in Championship tickets costs almost double more than in Bundesliga.

Unbelievable and ridiculous.

48 minutes ago, RamO said:

I suspect that this is true. But one game isn't enough to bust a myth. Would love to see the stats across a whole season. 

v Villa 31,205

v Burton 6,746 (away)

v Newcastle 30,405

v Wolves 19,858 (away)

v Forest 32,600

v Birmingham (sold out)

So far this season

1 hour ago, David said:

v Villa 31,205

v Burton 6,746 (away)

v Newcastle 30,405

v Wolves 19,858 (away)

v Forest 32,600

v Birmingham (sold out)

So far this season

Nice one! Looks pretty compelling.

The nerd in me wanted to do some serious stats on this question (whether television negatively affects attendances). I've just spent a little while looking for data of attendances and which games are televised for every team across a season in the Championship. I couldn't find those data easily. All I'd need is a table of attendances, home team, away team and whether the game is televised. I was going to do a simple model to give a p-value (I do this in my day job). If anybody knows where to get this kind of data, let me know - it would put this question well and truly to bed.

13 hours ago, RamO said:

Nice one! Looks pretty compelling.

The nerd in me wanted to do some serious stats on this question (whether television negatively affects attendances). I've just spent a little while looking for data of attendances and which games are televised for every team across a season in the Championship. I couldn't find those data easily. All I'd need is a table of attendances, home team, away team and whether the game is televised. I was going to do a simple model to give a p-value (I do this in my day job). If anybody knows where to get this kind of data, let me know - it would put this question well and truly to bed.

Here's a list of fixtures that have been and will be on TV 

http://www.efl.com/checkatrade-trophy/tv-games/

As for attendances, best way is the results page on BBC football, click into each game, the line up tab at the bottom and you'll see the attendances.

Just pulled a random TV fixture as a starting point, QPR v Wolves, Thursday 1st December, no real rivalry or a big game as such, attendance was 12,222.

QPR's next home game was v Derby on Wednesday 14th December was 12,372.

If we look to their Saturday games, 19th November v Norwich 17,187, 28th October v Brentford 16,888.

Back to TV they were on Sunday 18th December v Villa 16,285, also way back in August on a Sunday they played Leeds on Sky 16,764

You look at these and would say midweek games have a bigger effect attendances more than being on TV. Would QPR have been able to sell another 4,000 streaming passes for a tenner v Derby? 40k....couple players weeks wages right there

1 hour ago, David said:

Here's a list of fixtures that have been and will be on TV 

http://www.efl.com/checkatrade-trophy/tv-games/

As for attendances, best way is the results page on BBC football, click into each game, the line up tab at the bottom and you'll see the attendances.

1 hour ago, David said:

Just pulled a random TV fixture as a starting point, QPR v Wolves, Thursday 1st December, no real rivalry or a big game as such, attendance was 12,222.

QPR's next home game was v Derby on Wednesday 14th December was 12,372.

If we look to their Saturday games, 19th November v Norwich 17,187, 28th October v Brentford 16,888.

Back to TV they were on Sunday 18th December v Villa 16,285, also way back in August on a Sunday they played Leeds on Sky 16,764

You look at these and would say midweek games have a bigger effect attendances more than being on TV. Would QPR have been able to sell another 4,000 streaming passes for a tenner v Derby? 40k....couple players weeks wages right there

Thanks. I'm after a complete table of attendances for all clubs for a whole season. Can take day of week into account too. As well as rivalries. But I've had another dig on the internet and this sort of data isn't readily available. Giving up....havent got the time to spend compiling such a table manually myself. But - your example of QPR is a good one. I'm pretty sure that, as you have demonstrated, tv has little to no effect, other than when they reschedule the game to an inconvenient time. 

Meanwhile, if there is anybody out there reading my esoteric posts who has this data, I'd be keen to get hold of it to run some stats....

I'll get me coat...

On 26 December 2016 at 16:17, richinspain said:

I had a season ticket for my last 16 years living in England. I certainly wouldn't have missed a game just because it was on the telly. For the few games that did coincide I recorded them and then watched them back later. Nothing for me beats a live game in the stadium. The recording helped me see things differently afterwards. I know that next time I'm over in England and the Rams are at home I'll do my best to get to it, even if it is live on the telly. What Mel Morris is trying to do (apart from improve how tv income is shared around) is enable people like me to watch a game "live". A lot will depend on the cost but I know that I will be watching as many as I possibly can. I'm sure others in my situation will do the same. Perhaps someone could do a survey where we can say whether we will be taking up the chance. Include options for those living in England and those of us abroad.

Yes, excellent idea. The demographic to the current survey needs to be sliced and diced further to enable cross tabulations of what "sort" of fan is responding:

ie Ex-pat living abroad who would pay for home and away games, Season ticket holder living in Derby who would pay for away games as young family prevents away game attendance, season ticket holder and away member who wouldn't subscribe as they attend games home and away, casual fan who attends the cream of home games only (Leeds, Dogs, Wendies, Brum, etc), student who lives away who attends home games infrequently etc etc....

18 hours ago, RamO said:

Thanks. I'm after a complete table of attendances for all clubs for a whole season. Can take day of week into account too. As well as rivalries. But I've had another dig on the internet and this sort of data isn't readily available. Giving up....havent got the time to spend compiling such a table manually myself. But - your example of QPR is a good one. I'm pretty sure that, as you have demonstrated, tv has little to no effect, other than when they reschedule the game to an inconvenient time. 

Meanwhile, if there is anybody out there reading my esoteric posts who has this data, I'd be keen to get hold of it to run some stats....

I'll get me coat...

There are potentially lots of confounding variables that need to be controlled for before you can isolate Televisation's impact on attendance. One could argue for example that the fact it's Christmas had a counter-impact on the B'ham home game...ie on TV but the tradition of wanting to see a match "in vivo" neutralised the presence of cameras and meant a sell-out etc. So, not a simple comparison. I think you'd need to compare "similar" fixtures over several seasons Eg Derby V Leeds, before you could unequivocally reject the null hypothesis. 

I'll get me leather-arm patched coat...

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

There are potentially lots of confounding variables that need to be controlled for before you can isolate Televisation's impact on attendance. One could argue for example that the fact it's Christmas had a counter-impact on the B'ham home game...ie on TV but the tradition of wanting to see a match "in vivo" neutralised the presence of cameras and meant a sell-out etc. So, not a simple comparison. I think you'd need to compare "similar" fixtures over several seasons Eg Derby V Leeds, before you could unequivocally reject the null hypothesis. 

I'll get me leather-arm patched coat...

Yep. Totally agree. Over several seasons would be ideal heh? But even that's confounded by change of accessibility of games online over time.Just like any model, it will only be as good as the assumptions it makes. 

Now, where is that bl00dy coat of mine?!?

15 hours ago, RamO said:

Yep. Totally agree. Over several seasons would be ideal heh? But even that's confounded by change of accessibility of games online over time.Just like any model, it will only be as good as the assumptions it makes. 

Now, where is that bl00dy coat of mine?!?

Ellafella's got it

Archived