Flag volunteers

Ellafella

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's true to say that in those days Derby was probably one of the greatest clubs in the world. They were always bringing out innovations, they were always paying record transfer fees, bringing the very, very best. There was always a very big crowd and, after the war, for three or four seasons, it was very, very rare that we were below 25,000.

"It was always big gates, full houses, people sitting around the touch-line and there was always that feeling that the crowd was part of the team. You could talk to people in the crowd and strike up almost a friendship. It was incredible that you knew where, although there was a crowd of perhaps thirty or thirty-two thousand, you knew where certain people would probably be.

"When I was taking a throw-in I would probably go there and could almost look down and say: 'Oh, that's the same chap who was here last week, and the week before, and the week before that.' You sort of grew with them and those people grew up with you. That was Derby County."

Tim Ward, former player and manager of Derby County. He also once gave me out (stumped) as umpire in a cup cricket match at Burton.

Derby and the fans need to find as many ways as possible of bringing the Team, the Club and the Supporters together in the one aim. 

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-nostalgia-fluke-goal-helped-rams-make-winning-start-to-fa-cup-defence-at-bournemouth/story-30007069-detail/story.html#HcWwqJuI3RzVjuty.99

Archived