'Fringe' Players...'Time to sell'

Daz_The_Ram

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure we have fringe players bar grant and Roos currently - possibly wieman as he has never seemed to fit in 

Blackman on performances so far but mac has never had chance to get anything out of him also he is on far to much money for anyone to take him.

shackell - is a damm good defender waiting for his oppourtunity that said if Burnley sell Michael Keane for the obscene amount of money being mentioned don't be surprised to see Burnley come in for him

14 hours ago, 86 points said:

Shackell 'top class'? He provides decent cover for a very good CH pairing and should stay on that basis but that's as far as it goes.

You don't captain a side in the Premier League if you can't dip your bread at that top level. To class Shackell as nothing more than 'Decent Cover' is a statement that is more than a tad ignorant.

On 12/20/2016 at 09:12, clarkeram7 said:

The bottom line is he's too good and expensive to sit on the bench. I'd sell Shackell while he's still worth something and reinvest the money in a younger center half. People would argue it's nice to have that quality waiting in the wings but I just don't see him wanting that at his stage of his career. 

It sounds like we'll be getting 9mil for Martin and 1.5-2mil for Grant, so you'd imagine Steve will want to spend something. I'd be keeping a close eye on both Bamford and Wisdom, both haven't established themselves out on loan and are great long term investments. In using what we have its great to see the whole squad getting used particularly Camera and Weimann, with those two plus Ince and Russell I just don't see how Blackman will make the bench or Anya. One of the two will probably have to make way realistically.. 

With regards to Baird's form, it still wouldn't stop me buying Paterson. Him and Christie's contracts are up at the end of the season and despite good form we have to think whether both will be good enough if we eventually achieve promotion.

Small tweeks but nothing else please Steveeeee! We don't really have fringe players at the moment due to injuries but when the likes of Forsyth, Christie, Thorne, Lowe, Anya, Blackman return we certainly will!

Personally I think he's very sitting on his 'arris picking up around (if estimates are to be believed) £60k a month.

1 hour ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

You don't captain a side in the Premier League if you can't dip your bread at that top level. To class Shackell as nothing more than 'Decent Cover' is a statement that is more than a tad ignorant.

That was a couple of years ago. He's 33 now; 34 at the start of next season. That in itself smacks of past his best.

2 hours ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

No real need for name-calling mate. Just because you have a different opinion doesn't make you right. In response to the rest of your post if he's 'top class' how come he's not at a Premiership team now? In fact, how come Pearce and Keogh are (quite justifiably) keeping him out of the starting 11? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your estimation of him, is it? You might recall that Burnley were relegated the season you refer to in any case, having conceded 53 goals in 38 games. He's decent at Championship level but a long way from 'top class'.

Maybe try to be a tad more considered in your approach on the forum rather than simply slagging folk for having differing opinions, all from the safety of your keyboard?

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

No real need for name-calling mate. Just because you have a different opinion doesn't make you right. In response to the rest of your post if he's 'top class' how come he's not at a Premiership team now? In fact, how come Pearce and Keogh are (quite justifiably) keeping him out of the starting 11? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of your estimation of him, is it? You might recall that Burnley were relegated the season you refer to in any case, having conceded 53 goals in 38 games. He's decent at Championship level but a long way from 'top class'.

Maybe try to be a tad more considered in your approach on the forum rather than simply slagging folk for having differing opinions, all from the safety of your keyboard?

I think you're being a tad over sensitive. And also, talking generalised rubbish. Please don't cry at that second bit.

Christ.

2 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I think you're being a tad over sensitive. And also, talking generalised rubbish. Please don't cry at that second bit.

Christ.

Grow up mate FFS. If you've something half sensible to add to your comment fair enough but otherwise maybe stick to FB for your pathetic attempts at trolling.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That was a couple of years ago. He's 33 now; 34 at the start of next season. That in itself smacks of past his best.

Why is that? because you said so? Last season we signed him as a marquee player. He is still good enough to my mind to warrant that tag. I see what he does on the pitch, I don't care about his age. He still performs perfectly well. The furthest thing from over the hill going.

OK, guys have a much shorter shelf life these days, especially when the stat warriors are writing people off as 'old men' at the age of 32 ... but players have lots to offer in their 30s. it is called experience.

There is no need to write the guy off because he has missed a few games through no fault of his own. He is an asset.

15 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Grow up mate FFS. If you've something half sensible to add to your comment fair enough but otherwise maybe stick to FB for your pathetic attempts at trolling.

I quite sensibly pointed out that to my mind, to class a guy who has performed adequately, and captained his side, you know, led them ... out there... on the pitch... in very tough circumstances. When they were complete and utter underdogs, and facing both barrels in the top flight every single week, as 'just decent cover' at this level ... is a tad ignorant. 

What was even more ignorant, was that the guy saw the amount of goals conceded by Burnley, and level the fault for all of them directly at Shackell. 

Some of you really do think football is a walk in the park. 

5 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Why is that? because you said so? Last season we signed him as a marquee player. He is still good enough to my mind to warrant that tag. I see what he does on the pitch, I don't care about his age. He still performs perfectly well. The furthest thing from over the hill going.

OK, guys have a much shorter shelf life these days, especially when the stat warriors are writing people off as 'old men' at the age of 32 ... but players have lots to offer in their 30s. it is called experience.

There is no need to write the guy off because he has missed a few games through no fault of his own. He is an asset.

What on earth is wrong with people? Calm down. I never wrote him off. I just said he's not at his peak. 

8 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I quite sensibly pointed out that to my mind, to class a guy who has performed adequately, and captained his side, you know, led them ... out there on the pitch in very tough circumstances, when they were complete and utter underdogs, and facing both barrels in the top flight every single week, as 'just decent cover' at this level ... is a tad ignorant. 

What was even more ignorant, was that the guy saw the amount of goals conceded by Burnley, and level the fault for all of them directly at Shackell. 

Some of you really do think football is a walk in the park. 

You need to grow up mate and stop antagonising fellow Rams fans. You put words in people's mouths to justify your arguments then express surprise at their responses. It's a bit sad really.

In answer to the points you make, I've not said that it was all his fault, that's just how you've chosen to take it because it suits your agenda. The fact that you are unable to respond without resorting to petty slurs really shows your complete lack of respect for anybody else's opinion other than your own. If you feel I'm ignorant then just hit the 'ignore' button pal, it's not hard!

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

You need to grow up mate and stop antagonising fellow Rams fans. You put words in people's mouths to justify your arguments then express surprise at their responses. It's a bit sad really.

In answer to the points you make, I've not said that it was all his fault, that's just how you've chosen to take it because it suits your agenda. The fact that you are unable to respond without resorting to petty slurs really shows your complete lack of respect for anybody else's opinion other than your own. If you feel I'm ignorant then just hit the 'ignore' button pal, it's not hard!

What on earth are you on about? So what could I say about your 'agenda'? Bloody hell man. I thought what you said about Shackell in the first instance was ignorant to what he has done in his career, and the calibre of player he is, and I maintain it. Chill out.

Isn't that what we do in arguments/debates? try to justify what we're saying?

Shall we all just agree then with every point that anyone ever makes, tell each other that we're all madly in love, and make these forums really bloody boring? 

Blimey. 

18 hours ago, 86 points said:

Shackell 'top class'? He provides decent cover for a very good CH pairing and should stay on that basis but that's as far as it goes.

I completely agree with the original point you made 86. We need strength in depth and Shackell is currently cover for our 2 in form CB's. If/when he gets a chance, I'm sure he'll take it, like Baird has.

19 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

What on earth are you on about? So what could I say about your 'agenda'? Bloody hell man. I thought what you said about Shackell in the first instance was ignorant to what he has done in his career, and the calibre of player he is, and I maintain it. Chill out.

Shall we all just agree then with every point that anyone ever makes, tell each other that we're all madly in love, and make these forums really bloody boring? 

Blimey. 

But you haven't justified it in any way shape or form. You've just tried to ram your opinion down everyone's throats. Bit sad really that you can't discern the difference between 'debate' and acting like a stroppy kid. Can't help you with that I'm afraid!

25 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Blimey. 

7 minutes ago, 86 points said:

But you haven't justified it in any way shape or form. You've just tried to ram your opinion down everyone's throats. Bit sad really that you can't discern the difference between 'debate' and acting like a stroppy kid. Can't help you with that I'm afraid!

Where can I buy tickets for this fight? 

Probably would be better than Joshua v Klitschko...

Archived