Wine

jono

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Don't know if this will be readable, and it's quite a few years since the article was written.

24q1nkg.jpg

Thanks Pheonix .. That's really interesting .. I am going to search for some. I just have a sense that a lot of everyday wine doesn't taste like it used to. It'll be after Christmas now but sounds like a good research project 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

I forget the name but watch the Netflix documentary about the wine dealer in the states who was selling fake wine....all the pretentious knobs claiming they could taste honeysuckle, oak, butterscotch etc 

people who drink wine are just that...fakers, no one actually likes it. 

You are joking aren't you ? I can't tell most commercial wines one from another apart from the heavily and artificially oaked ones, or the heavy sweet the high alcohol america/ausi and others. BUT .. Get a Barolo, a good Bordeaux and they are instantly identifiable. The Americans are allowed to add all sorts of c**p in to their wine which simply isn't permitted in Europe. 

And why are wine drinkers pretentious nobs but real ale drinkers not ? 

Oh .. And whilst you are entitled to an opinion it is just that, not a fact. I am not a faker and have spent my adult life enjoying wine of many types. 

Just now, jono said:

You are joking aren't you ? I can't tell most commercial wines one from another apart from the heavily and artificially oaked ones, or the heavy sweet the high alcohol america/ausi and others. BUT .. Get a Barolo, a good Bordeaux and they are instantly identifiable. The Americans are allowed to add all sorts of c**p in to their wine which simply isn't permitted in Europe. 

And why are wine drinkers pretentious nobs but real ale drinkers not ? 

Oh .. And whilst you are entitled to an opinion it is just that, not a fact. I am not a faker and have spent my adult life enjoying wine of many types. 

I like wine and real ale (not together) ; am I a half faker?

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I like the high-alcohol/sweetness of an old vine zinfandel! You can keep your old world tasteless st emillion rubbish. :ph34r:

:D .. Well that's it then pistols at dawn. Wing backs or an outside right. Astro turf or rolled and mowed 

I've got a bottle of wine from Spain called "Arses". Pronounced of course as " arthes " but it's always good for a laugh particularly if I bring out my Spanish coffee called "Bonka" or my Swedish chewing gum called "Spunk"

It is just another tool for people to think they are above other people. I have lost count of the amount of times I have been for a meal and one of the party gets all pretentious over the wine...and I know they don't actually know anything about it. ... I purposely always order a beer because I know that everyone on the table is totally jealous and would much rather be having a beer than pretending they can taste nettles in the latest offering from their favorite Winery in southern France.. fakers.

Red wine can be a glorious thing, we are extremely lucky here, Ronda and Cadiz are produce top quality wines in small supplies.  I am also lucky that there are a number of sherry houses producing fabulous rare wines.  On top of that craft beer has caught on with most towns now producing unique beers mostly in IPA style.  Gin is also developing well.

strangely I appear to be able to appreciate a number of different types but what do I know?  

On 19/12/2016 at 09:03, Malagaram said:

Any of the French reds,but my favourite has to be Chateaux Neuf de Pap,dont know how much it is for sale in the English Supermarkets though,and never ever see any good french wine for sale in Spain.

It comes on offer in tesco periodically (£8 I think)  then they also do the buy 6 get 25% off sometimes too

20 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

It is just another tool for people to think they are above other people. I have lost count of the amount of times I have been for a meal and one of the party gets all pretentious over the wine...and I know they don't actually know anything about it. ... I purposely always order a beer because I know that everyone on the table is totally jealous and would much rather be having a beer than pretending they can taste nettles in the latest offering from their favorite Winery in southern France.. fakers.

I think one of the reasons Australian and American wine has done so well is because they change the names to something the Anglo Saxons can pronounce with ease and not embarrass themselves. So "old git" sells well. Of course there is wine snobbery, there is an in crowd in every walk of life. From Beer drinkers to football fans but calling preference, enthusiasm and knowledge is a bit like those miserable fans who say "I don't like fancy dans" 

18 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Can I shock you?

I like wine. :lol:

Blue Nun for me.

No seriously. I drink only red from Bordeaux region as the traditional winemaking process in that area preserves the tannins which gives you the best heart health resveratrol compounds.

White I only drink Austrian gruner veltliner.

It's all wine this and wine that. Monkey Tennis? 

Archived