Wine

jono

I am not a wine snob .. But I am a wine bigot.

dont mind if my red wine is cheap, sharp quaffing stuff to down with a pizza or something rich and full and costs a few quid like a Brunello di Montalcino 

what drives me bonkers is all the high alcohol sugary pap that supermarkets sell from Australia, Chile or wherever. I am not saying it's bad wine it's just that tastes have changed and this sweet syrupy stiff is what a lot of people seem to like. I like wine with some bite, some astringinency. Some tannin. Not all this blooming sugar. "Full of plums and ripe berry fruit" = Ribena with booze in it.

consequently I usually buy European wine and search the shelves for reasonably priced vino that doesn't taste like its for kids and have a kick like a mule. 

Current mid priced standard is Sainos Lussac Bordeaux .. You have to wait until it goes on offer (every 6 weeks or so) don't pay the marked up price !

anyone else got a favorite at a price for normal mortals 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if buying a red wine, then pick out a white label with nice thick weight of paper; no crumples;  and all of the corners well stuck down.

a monochrome etching of a large detached building will suggest tradition, quality, and longevity, especially when framed with a simple or decorative border.

For italian wines look for strong architectural features and good masculine font.

french wines may be accompanied by swags and effeminate swirly features, but too much of this may lead to moodiness, over emotional behaviour and headaches.

some smaller words or letters should be printed in red so that - whilst the frontal lobes are busy scanning the printed information or no good reason whatsoever - the  hypothalamus has already decided that this will do and is already looking forward to good soak.

somthing printed in gold is the final clincher.

Needless to say the cork should always leave the bottle with a satisying squeek and a pop.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

if buying a red wine, then pick out a white label with nice thick weight of paper; no crumples;  and all of the corners well stuck down.

a monochrome etching of a large detached building will suggest tradition, quality, and longevity, especially when framed with a simple or decorative border.

For italian wines look for strong architectural features and good masculine font.

french wines may be accompanied by swags and effeminate swirly features, but too much of this may lead to moodiness, over emotional behaviour and headaches.

some smaller words or letters should be printed in red so that - whilst the frontal lobes are busy scanning the printed information or no good reason whatsoever - the  hypothalamus has already decided that this will do and is already looking forward to good soak.

somthing printed in gold is the final clincher.

Needless to say the cork should always leave the bottle with a satisying squeek and a pop.

Blimey, all that and then you have to give them £2.99

My favourite vino tipple is Chateau Musar, from Lebanon. Bloody lovely but not cheap: About £23 from Waitrose.

I was introduced to it a few years back by a good friend - who died a year ago, so I have a bottle now again & have a toast to him. Have got a couple of bottles in for Christmas.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Not heard of that one mate. Is it one of the Merlot's influenced by the 20th century french immigration to Chile or the earlier influence of the 16th century spanish conquistadors?

Jesus?

Must be Spanish or Mexican.

Marks & Spencer have now got a few wines made with the Tannat grape, a couple of them from South America. The one from Uruguay (Pisano) is rather too powerful and unrefined for my taste, but the Bolivian 'Campos de Solano Malbec Tannat', is much more refined, but still a heavyweight. Sweet and sugary it is not. £11 a bottle is a bit steep, but Marks often do a 25% off 6 offer, and they have it in stores, not just on-line.

I've got an article about the tannat grape somewhere. If I can dig it out I'll post it. Prolongs life, apparently!

Archived