Clough and Burton

Ramz64

Pathetic questioning from the reporter...you don’t go into an interview and say “one supporter stopped me on the way down and said...” that’s just wrong. 

Nigel should have told him to do one and left.....and the Burton fans should be thankful for what they have got, because as we know only too well the grass is definitely not always greener.....!!!

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How has he not been given the boot? I know Robinson is loyal towards his man, but Nige had wrote the season off in September; absolutely zero ambition to stay in the division or even get back up next year "we wont play Derby ever again after Saturday".

5 at the back ?

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

How has he not been given the boot? I know Robinson is loyal towards his man, but Nige had wrote the season off in September; absolutely zero ambition to stay in the division or even get back up next year "we wont play Derby ever again after Saturday".

5 at the back ?

Did he say we won't play Derby ever again after Saturdayor have you suddenly turned into Mike Perkins, heard what you wanted to hear and misquoted him to make a point?

Whatever happens or has happened Burton will finish in their second highest position ever.

Ever.

Sack him? You're as bad as the burton fans.

5 at the back ?

Because the Burton chairman is not an idiot. The only reason that Burton are a league club is down to Nigel Clough.

7 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Did he say we won't play Derby ever again after Saturdayor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0641wf4/player?chromeless

3:08 & 3:38? thats a ***** attitude to have. How depressing must it be for the players and fans for the manager to write off bouncing back next season?zero ambition

He isnt in any shape or form a Championship manager and I dont see any club out there rushing for his service.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:01, David said:

I guess it's why top managers show little interest in bringing through academy players, why would they be thinking of the clubs best interests 3/4 years down the line when they are likely to be gone after 2. It's why so much money is being spent on signings, the ready made stick them straight in players that will achieve them instant success.

Carlo Ancelotti makes some very good points on this in his book. Definitely worth a read.

4 hours ago, Papahet said:

What he did then in the lower leagues is irrelevant to the work he's doing now. Cmon ffs, Football is about trying to win games, entertainment, HOPE and making a effort. 

Crap, arrogant (dinosaur) manager. 

OF course it isn't irrelevant.... the work he has done for that football club is incredible....really incredible..

he is not a crap manager at all....what a silly little statement.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

OF course it isn't irrelevant.... the work he has done for that football club is incredible....really incredible..

he is not a crap manager at all....what a silly little statement.

Totally agree. What he did last season keeping them up was fantastic.

Its been tough this season, but when you have a record signing of about 500k and he goes a gets injured before the season starts you know you will have problems.

I know people moan, and I think he does press the point too much, but he is right when he talks about their spending compared with others.

The problem is other clubs can attract free transfers of better quality too. You get a choice between an ipswich and a burton, who are you going to choose?

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Totally agree. What he did last season keeping them up was fantastic.

Its been tough this season, but when you have a record signing of about 500k and he goes a gets injured before the season starts you know you will have problems.

I know people moan, and I think he does press the point too much, but he is right when he talks about their spending compared with others.

The problem is other clubs can attract free transfers of better quality too. You get a choice between an ipswich and a burton, who are you going to choose?

Given that choice in particular. Burton. Everything about Ipswich screams ‘BORING’ to me. The place, the people, the football club, the style of football, everything. They’d be one of my least favourite teams if they registered on my radar at all, but they’re not even exciting enough to specifically waste energy on disliking. 

He's a poor mans Rowett.

Old, uninspiring signings. The signings he does make are from a former employee because his knowledge is so limited (Buxton, Legzdins, Barker, Bywater, Bennett, Deeney...)No ability to get that extra 5% out of his players like Mac did. Bland football, no urgency, blames others when things arent working...

Ask anyone from Sheff Utd and theyll tell you he's a piss poor manager. Responsible for boring me shitless for 5 years with his mid table, slagging off his own players to the press...?

Aye quality is old Nige

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

He's a poor mans Rowett.

Old, uninspiring signings. The signings he does make are from a former employee because his knowledge is so limited (Buxton, Legzdins, Barker, Bywater, Bennett, Deeney...)No ability to get that extra 5% out of his players like Mac did. Bland football, no urgency, blames others when things arent working...

Ask anyone from Sheff Utd and theyll tell you he's a piss poor manager. Responsible for boring me shitless for 5 years with his mid table, slagging off his own players to the press...?

Aye quality is old Nige

The football under Clough was nowhere near as bad as people make out 

He’s a good manager in it’s truest sense. It’s the tactical intricacies and coaching that let him down. 

All McClaren really did was sort us out at set-pieces, played a defensive midfielder and went for it if we were losing

Sith Happens

He's a poor mans Rowett.

Aye quality is old Nige

I would like to congratulate you on your circle of friends. Knowing all 30000 or so Sheff Utd fans is some achievement. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

He’s a good manager in it’s truest sense. It’s the tactical intricacies and coaching that let him down. 

All McClaren really did was sort us out at set-pieces, played a defensive midfielder and went for it if we were losing

Wasn’t Nigel the manager when we beat Millwall 5-1 away and Bryson scored a hat-trick, including a incredible team goal.

I know that wasn’t exactly the norm in the Clough era, but I really think people have a real blind spot for the good things he did. 

He definrely built the foundations for mcclaren to then build upon. Probably more actually, he built the whole house, and mcclaren just did a bit of decorating, titivation and fine tuning. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

In fact, I think mcclaren and clough would make a great team. Clough doing the managing, and mcclaren doing the coaching, scouting (with Clough in charge of lower leagues and Scotland) and tactics.  

They really could’ve been this generations Clough and Taylor. Or even smith and mcclaren. 

Wouldve loved to have seen a Clough and mcclaren combo. 

10 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Wasn’t Nigel the manager when we beat Millwall 5-1 away and Bryson scored a hat-trick, including a incredible team goal.

I know that wasn’t exactly the norm in the Clough era, but I really think people have a real blind spot for the good things he did. 

He definrely built the foundations for mcclaren to then build upon. Probably more actually, he built the whole house, and mcclaren just did a bit of decorating, titivation and fine tuning. 

It was the norm though, by-and-large! We were averaging over 500 passes a game in 12/13 and had the fifth best home record. We gave the entirety of the top six a game at home; Cardiff ground out a draw clearing a couple off of the line, Hull shithoused a win despite being battered, we spanked Watford for five, missed a penalty and a sitter against Palace and conceded a ‘keeping error, drew with Brighton and beat Leicester!

What held us back was negativity away from home, I think we were the third worst travelers that season. We just didn’t play our game. 

Clough’s later gone on to state that he feels as though 13/14 was the first time he had a team in which he felt could ‘go for it’. Which explains the away games in 13/14, we beat Brighton and spanked Millwall and Yeovil. He let us off the leash.

His downfall was teams knowing how good we are at home. Leicester beat us without having a shot, Burnley and Reading did us on the break and from set-pieces. 

We SHOULD have made the play-offs in 12/13. We were ready then.

PistoldPete2
18 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

In fact, I think mcclaren and clough would make a great team. Clough doing the managing, and mcclaren doing the coaching, scouting (with Clough in charge of lower leagues and Scotland) and tactics.  

They really could’ve been this generations Clough and Taylor. Or even smith and mcclaren. 

Wouldve loved to have seen a Clough and mcclaren combo. 

Not a bad call.

Sacking Nigel Clough was the second-biggest mistake Derby have made in the last decade.

The first time we sacked Steve McClaren was the biggest.

Archived