Christmas Bonus

Mostyn6

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's mental I wish I got bonus's. They would make people work harder if they did also for not having a day off sick is a great idea. Our project loses money by the day otherwise we might. My boss got a £8,000 bonus a few years back. I'm envy of you!

5 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

That's mental I wish I got bonus's. They would make people work harder if they did also for not having a day off sick is a great idea. Our project loses money by the day otherwise we might. My boss got a £8,000 bonus a few years back. I'm envy of you!

Ash, I am self employed, if I don't go to work, I don't get paid. The average employee has something like 7 days off per year. The money I earned by not having those 14 days off in 2 years covered the bonus.

It's how self-employed motivate themselves.

Now, all I need to do is put it through my accounts as a business expense somehow! Er..... "IT equipment, Monitor" will do! :lol: 

I've had profit-share bonuses the last couple of years but this year the company has expanded rapidly and invested in new site & equipment. I don't expect there will therefore be much profit for us to share this year but we'll find out tomorrow at the Christmas do.

I have had a good year and recently secured funding for our engineering team for a minimum of the next 2 years, though, so would like to think I'm in line for a bonus or decent pay rise this time round.

We shall see......

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Ash, I am self employed, if I don't go to work, I don't get paid. The average employee has something like 7 days off per year. The money I earned by not having those 14 days off in 2 years covered the bonus.

Now, all I need to do is put it through my accounts as a business expense somehow! Er..... "IT equipment, Monitor" will do! :lol: 

That explains a lot then lol :ph34r:. Guess both Self Employed and working for a company full time both have there advantages and disadvantages.

I've worked for the same company since 2000, and still don't get sick pay or pension.

We do have a Christmas bonus of around 6 weeks wages though, and a summer one of around 9 weeks wages.

It's quite a decent way of being paid, like a compulsory savings scheme, although it plays havoc with the PAYE for weeks after.

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I've worked for the same company since 2000, and still don't get sick pay or pension.

We do have a Christmas bonus of around 6 weeks wages though, and a summer one of around 9 weeks wages.

It's quite a decent way of being paid, like a compulsory savings scheme, although it plays havoc with the PAYE for weeks after.

Thought it was law that they have to offer you a pension now. You can opt out but they have to offer.. Even small businesses.

Got myself a right result on the bonus front.. Had 3 this year :)

Our company used to give a Christmas bonus but stopped about 14 years ago. The only people that get a bonus now are the managers if they manage to run our depot for less than the budget set for the year. Brilliant idea if you don't mind having depots that are falling apart due to a lack of maintenance or people working with equipment that can't be repaired properly because it is outdated.

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Thought it was law that they have to offer you a pension now. You can opt out but they have to offer.. Even small businesses.

Got myself a right result on the bonus front.. Had 3 this year :)

It doesn't come in until next April at our firm, never really bothered me tbh, prefer to invest the money myself than leave it to the sharks to lose!

1% of wages isn't going to get a great deal in 3 decades time!

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hehe yeah I work for myself and from home so technically I'll be in the office on Christmas Day working :/

And my new £2k gaming PC will be going down as IT equipment too :p

15 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Our company used to give a Christmas bonus but stopped about 14 years ago. The only people that get a bonus now are the managers if they manage to run our depot for less than the budget set for the year. Brilliant idea if you don't mind having depots that are falling apart due to a lack of maintenance or people working with equipment that can't be repaired properly because it is outdated.

Shocking approach to paying bonuses of any kind. A bonus should be paid for acheiving or exceeding objectives set or profit made by a company. Of course their objective might be to spend less than budget but even so it should be within acceptable means, so it should be based on negotiation of better deals or contracts, efficiencies etc...not just deciding staff have to make do with outdated equipment which in turn has a negative effect on productivity.

23 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It doesn't come in until next April at our firm, never really bothered me tbh, prefer to invest the money myself than leave it to the sharks to lose!

1% of wages isn't going to get a great deal in 3 decades time!

You can always pay in more, your employer might not match it but you can still do it.

Not sure where you are investing your money at the moment but I doubt you are getting much back. The tax relief the govt gives you will outstrip any interest you are earning.. You must be buying and selling shares. 30 years is still a long time to work.

13 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

You can always pay in more, your employer might not match it but you can still do it.

Not sure where you are investing your money at the moment but I doubt you are getting much back. The tax relief the govt gives you will outstrip any interest you are earning.. You must be buying and selling shares. 30 years is still a long time to work.

Used to invest in shares, through share Isa's, one managed with Halifax, one self picked and traded with HL.

Closed them both down around a year ago, couldn't really see much room for further growth!

I blame Brexit.

My dad worked all his life in well paid work, followed all the rules, paid as much as he could into his pension, and finds himself now, at age of 73 reducing his hours to just 3 days a week to make ends meet following his pension company going belly up!

26 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Used to invest in shares, through share Isa's, one managed with Halifax, one self picked and traded with HL.

Closed them both down around a year ago, couldn't really see much room for further growth!

I blame Brexit.

My dad worked all his life in well paid work, followed all the rules, paid as much as he could into his pension, and finds himself now, at age of 73 reducing his hours to just 3 days a week to make ends meet following his pension company going belly up!

ISAs are rubbish at the moment.. Feel for your dad, always seems to be the way that honest people get rolled over.

Not all pensions go belly up. I am sticking to the big boys in the hope that I will be safe. Hoping to semi retire in 5 years, so they better had be.

5 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

As an NHS worker I'm lucky to even get paid.

Bonuses, one can dream. 

I also work for the NHS - I got a letter thanking me for not having a day off sick this year.  Shook the envelope but no, just a letter. :(

I got a Christmas bonus - redundancy.

I'm going to put my feet up for a month starting now and thoroughly re-charge the batteries before i look for something else.

Archived