Enjoying this season more than the previous two?

Bris Vegas

I think expectation plays a key part here, but wins against the likes of Wigan and QPR seem much more enjoyable this season compared to the last two... Does anyone agree with that sentiment?

You can't honestly say we've played that much better under McClaren than under Clement (this time last year we were bang in form too), yet when we're winning games by the odd goal now it's seemingly looked upon alot more favourably.

I think most just expected us to tonk teams 12 months ago, or during McClaren's second season, so when we managed to win by the odd goal it was deemed more of a disappointment rather than success.

Is it because many thought we should have been automatic contenders, and missing out on a top two finish was seen as a failure? Therefore performances were ultimately judged more harshly?

I think, being totally honest, most will feel the top two are out of sight now, therefore we're very much in the race for a playoff spot. With us currently exceeding expectations considering our woeful start and the atrocious negative stuff we played under Dinosaur Pearson, is that the reason there appears to be a newfound buzz among supporters?

I hope we're not at the beginning of the cycle again where expectation and subsequent disappointment creeps back in.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think more people just have more appreciation now.

2014/15 season was full of expectation and moaning. Beat a team 1-0? Should be more. Beat a team 5-0? Wouldn't survive the PL. Draw a game? We've been figured out. Lose a game? Pearson/Dyche would have this team promoted by now. 

Some will still do it. 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah I think more people just have more appreciation now.

2014/15 season was full of expectation and moaning. Beat a team 1-0? Should be more. Beat a team 5-0? Wouldn't survive the PL. Draw a game? We've been figured out. Lose a game? Pearson/Dyche would have this team promoted by now. 

Some will still do it. 

Hopefully these people will have had a bit of a reality check now...

...and use Howe as the example rather than Pearson or Dyche.

The only advantage we have over a team like Brighton is the size and depth of our squad.

The likes of Camara being given playing time is testament to the size and strength in most departments.

A few injuries can destroy a team like Brighton.

I am sure Brighton's resilience will be much better this year having failed at the last minute over the last couple of seasons, but only as long as they stay a good strong unit.

I often wonder where we would be now if McClaren was here from the start. But maybe, just maybe it is because of the start that this seems to be a really great campaign with (I can't say no expectation) But let's face it a few weeks ago there was none, now it is building and maturing like a fine wine and with it the excitement.

COYR

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

The only advantage we have over a team like Brighton is the size and depth of our squad.

The likes of Camara being given playing time is testament to the size and strength in most departments.

A few injuries can destroy a team like Brighton.

I am sure Brighton's resilience will be much better this year having failed at the last minute over the last couple of seasons, but only as long as they stay a good strong unit.

I often wonder where we would be now if McClaren was here from the start. But maybe, just maybe it is because of the start that this seems to be a really great campaign with (I can't say no expectation) But let's face it a few weeks ago there was none, now it is building and maturing like a fine wine and with it the excitement.

COYR

Bighton fan at work said in the summer that their plan is to spend some money in Jan if they are in the promotion hunt. Hopefully they'll spend some big money signings and upset the squad!

Actually, I think them and us are due promotion. We've both been there or thereabouts for a few years now and look like the best 2 in the league after Newcastle. And if we do both go up, will be 6 points at least for us as we seem to be their bogey team!

Just going to throw this in here, what's more impressive about McClaren's return is people have likened it to pulling on an old jumper but it's really not.

Carson, Olsson, Pearce, Baird, Johnson, Butterfield were not here under his previous spell, that's more than half the starting 11 that will have no idea how he likes to play and to hit the ground running the way we have and grinding games out is nuts.

Last night didn't sound pretty, nor did Wigan but a sign of a good team is coming home with 3pts whilst not on our A game. 

Hint of a Forest hangover possibly, need to get it out the system quickly as a win on Saturday could take us 3rd.

They say never look at the table till Xmas...ho ho ho!

Pearson killed hope and expectation so everything is a bonus 

Clement - yes very similar but we were playing without the likes of Hughes and Bryson and others being brought in left right and centre with the onus on not giving the ball away, mac will try to win and entertain 

on a positive note we were top around January before the walls came crumbling down and the same can happen at other clubs like Newcastle and Brighton it may not happen but we know it can 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think expectation plays a key part here, but wins against the likes of Wigan and QPR seem much more enjoyable this season compared to the last two... Does anyone agree with that sentiment?

You can't honestly say we've played that much better under McClaren than under Clement (this time last year we were bang in form too), yet when we're winning games by the odd goal now it's seemingly looked upon alot more favourably.

I think most just expected us to tonk teams 12 months ago, or during McClaren's second season, so when we managed to win by the odd goal it was deemed more of a disappointment rather than success.

Is it because many thought we should have been automatic contenders, and missing out on a top two finish was seen as a failure? Therefore performances were ultimately judged more harshly?

I think, being totally honest, most will feel the top two are out of sight now, therefore we're very much in the race for a playoff spot. With us currently exceeding expectations considering our woeful start and the atrocious negative stuff we played under Dinosaur Pearson, is that the reason there appears to be a newfound buzz among supporters?

I hope we're not at the beginning of the cycle again where expectation and subsequent disappointment creeps back in.

Are we really playing that well? Great results, can't argue with that, odd periods in games, agreed..

Certainly not fluid by any means.. I enjoyed parts of last season and parts of this.

2014/15 was enjoyable until the collapse.  Last season was a culture shock under Clement and despite the results, I'm not sure I enjoyed much of it.  Under Wassall there seemed to be a return to form in patches, but you were never quite sure which Derby team would show up.  I suppose the less said about Pearson the better.

Mac 2 has seen the Rams starting to consistently resemble a team playing the Derby Way.  it's not just the results, but the way we are starting to play.  The Bent goal v Wolves and Ince's v Forest are the benchmarks for this.  Yes there's more to come but I for one am going to sit back and enjoy the ride!

On 15/12/2016 at 17:56, Angry Ram said:

Are we really playing that well? Great results, can't argue with that, odd periods in games, agreed..

Certainly not fluid by any means.. I enjoyed parts of last season and parts of this.

I think defensively we've been excellent, and we have had spells of good attacking play. I think it will take a little time before we become a fluid attacking unit again but the signs are there that it's developing. 

Archived