Derby - Leeds - March friendly

dajstrawb

Is there such a thing as a Derby v Leeds friendly match?!

Saying that, the atmosphere at the recent home game between the two sides wasn't half as toxic as it used to be at times..much of the needle seems to have gone out of this fixture.

Would still be good to beat them though, friendly or not..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, feisty said:

Utter insanity. Just a chance for another player to get injured. Why not let them rest before the run in?

because the run in for one season isnt as important as what we are trying to demonstrate and can lead to finally getting a better deal from TV or even doing our own TV deal club by club.

Thereas a reason Leeds have been chosen because they have even more fans who want to watch them on TV, and they too are on mels side over this.

FGS, its probably going to be rolling subs and a chance for minutes for young players and fringe players anyway.

41 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

because the run in for one season isnt as important as what we are trying to demonstrate and can lead to finally getting a better deal from TV or even doing our own TV deal club by club.

Thereas a reason Leeds have been chosen because they have even more fans who want to watch them on TV, and they too are on mels side over this.

FGS, its probably going to be rolling subs and a chance for minutes for young players and fringe players anyway.

I don't believe in TV deal club-by-club

Even if better for Derby it creates an incredibly uncompetitive league. That was how it was in Spain, Italy etc and their leagues are dominated by 2 clubs. In the Premier league they don't do a club by club deal and it is far more competitive and makes the league better.

And if you really don't think the run is important......Well. We agree to differ

17 minutes ago, feisty said:

I don't believe in TV deal club-by-club

Even if better for Derby it creates an incredibly uncompetitive league. That was how it was in Spain, Italy etc and their leagues are dominated by 2 clubs. In the Premier league they don't do a club by club deal and it is far more competitive and makes the league better.

And if you really don't think the run is important......Well. We agree to differ

Can guarantee this wouldn't have all come out if we were sitting 1 or 2 places above the relegation spots..... 

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Can guarantee this wouldn't have all come out if we were sitting 1 or 2 places above the relegation spots..... 

err, it would. I wouldn't have wanted a run in to be messed up and lead to relegation either

And I've been consistently of the view regarding an uncompetitive league for a while. Indeed, spain have recently changed to our system. i.e. Barca and Real have given up doing a club by club thing because they actually ended up finding sponsorship for the league went down and - other than the games against each other - nobody was fussed in sponsoring so they were getting less than clubs like Stoke in advertising revenue from TV rights. So by having a more even distribution of cash they hope the league becomes more competitive ala Premier league and then attracts more money and they are actually better off

I suspect this may not be to create a club-by club tv deal as it were, but to incentivise the Football League to move forward with online streaming. The money from it would still be split fairly amongst the clubs, but the revenue from it would be much greater than from just the TV deal.

6 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I suspect this may not be to create a club-by club tv deal as it were, but to incentivise the Football League to move forward with online streaming. The money from it would still be split fairly amongst the clubs, but the revenue from it would be much greater than from just the TV deal.

I think this is more where Mel is coming from, and also that the league don't need to negotiate from a position of reletive weakness against Sky TV unlike previous years where if Sky didn't buy it they were not likely to get very much money otherwise.

I do still think a collectively bargained whole league deal is better for the game overall. I mean, for example, does anyone really believe that if a new way for Manu, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man city to have a bigger financial advantage would make the premier league "better"

Archived