Derby - Leeds - March friendly

dajstrawb

21 minutes ago, dajstrawb said:

Could potentially kill attendances 

Ticket prices become lower when it is less of a commodity. It means if you still want to go to the games, you can in cheaper as the ticket revenue shortfall is covered by the increased broadcasting revenue. At the moment for the majority of your teams games, if you want to watch them, there's only one way in. Hence the high prices. The FL's deal with Sky only just covers what they lose in ticket sales when a game is chosen and they don't make much, if anything, extra. Giving the clubs the rights to stream their own games online for a subscription fee means that ticket prices have to fall too, otherwise as you say everyone will just watch at home.

To put it another way, when tickets aren't the only way to watch a game anymore, their worth drops. When their worth drops, their price drops. When prices drop, attendances rise. Matchday revenue falls but TV money more than covers it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ITSD said:

I have a dreadful premonition of us being in brilliant form, top o the league etc. etc. and then Leeds nobbling a load of key players for the run-in :ph34r:

That said I do support Mel's position and I love a maverick.

For those of us watching in the 70's it would be deja vu not premonition 

2 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

Could potentially kill attendances 

No it won't.

We have the stupid no 3pm Saturday kick offs on TV ruling that is there to protect attendances but it's tosh. 

You can watch any Premier League 3pm math online nowadays and it's not the reason attendances drop at smaller clubs, it's the crap football and badly run clubs that are reducing them. 

4 hours ago, RicME85 said:

No it won't.

We have the stupid no 3pm Saturday kick offs on TV ruling that is there to protect attendances but it's tosh. 

You can watch any Premier League 3pm math online nowadays and it's not the reason attendances drop at smaller clubs, it's the crap football and badly run clubs that are reducing them. 

Maths :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Tombo said:

Ticket prices become lower when it is less of a commodity. It means if you still want to go to the games, you can in cheaper as the ticket revenue shortfall is covered by the increased broadcasting revenue. At the moment for the majority of your teams games, if you want to watch them, there's only one way in. Hence the high prices. The FL's deal with Sky only just covers what they lose in ticket sales when a game is chosen and they don't make much, if anything, extra. Giving the clubs the rights to stream their own games online for a subscription fee means that ticket prices have to fall too, otherwise as you say everyone will just watch at home.

To put it another way, when tickets aren't the only way to watch a game anymore, their worth drops. When their worth drops, their price drops. When prices drop, attendances rise. Matchday revenue falls but TV money more than covers it.

Agree with this about 90%. However, there would be a risk of teams raising the cost of tickets when their attendances drop, Let's say a team has an average attendance of 18k, but this drops to 15k. Their match ticket prices could rise by 10-20%.

As some have said though, ticket sales are more often linked to teams performances and how that club is run. I would hope Derby would keep on averaging 28 thousand plus

17 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Agree with this about 90%. However, there would be a risk of teams raising the cost of tickets when their attendances drop, Let's say a team has an average attendance of 18k, but this drops to 15k. Their match ticket prices could rise by 10-20%.

As some have said though, ticket sales are more often linked to teams performances and how that club is run. I would hope Derby would keep on averaging 28 thousand plus

I would hope the people who are left in charge of setting ticket prices understand the mechanics of supply and demand.

7 hours ago, rynny said:

I think the idea is to get a friendly arranged where the FL have no say, get it streamed and show how much money can be made on a friendly then show it to the other 70 teams and show that more could be made for actual league games.

I am more than happy for Mel to call the FL to task but, if you are correct, I don't really think he will have chosen the right way of doing it.

Surely people are only going to be interested in streaming a match if the regular first teamers are involved?

I really hope he would not risk injuries against a potential promotion rival at such a vital stage of the season, just to make a point to the FL.

I back mel 100 percent ,,, I would stream every Derby game in the same way I used to buy a season ticket or go every game I could when time allowed me ,, that would not change the fact that I would rather go to a live game when I can ,,, I have the time to go Fulham this Saturday so will go ,, that would not change if I could stream it cheaper , there is no substitute for going to watch your own team live ,sitting with your own fans singing ,having the crack and being immersed in the atmosphere,,,,,, there is however a next best thing if time ,distance and other factors get in the way and that for me is the ability to watch all the games live at home and if clubs like Derby have the fan base to increase their revenue streams whilst being able to garuntee proper kick off times and and match days without out of their control late switches for season ticket holders and regulars what right has anybody to stop them ,,,, the big prem teams used muscle to maximise theirer revenue streams years ago while the hell cant we ? Could it be that once in place millions of Derby,Leeds , villa , forest , Newcastle , Brighton,norwich, Ipswich blah blah blah fans would be subscribing to watch their own teams rather than boosting viewing figures for so called bigger games they watch as a neutral as that's mostly all they have access to so boosting other clubs coffers and bargaining powers ,,,,,,, nah go on Mel lad give me hell and force our club forward into the 21st century

Mel comes from an industry where disrupting the established methods of thinking and monetisation is completely normal. It's no surprise that someone with his skill set is looking in to this and willing to make his case.

Good luck to him, if he can provide clubs up and down the pyramid with additional revenue streams then everyone is a winner.

I totally support the idea behind this, and trying to drag the game into the technological future. Let’s be honest – the Sky TV deal is still based in the 90’s where a monopoly to show 2 or 3 chosen games a week via a satellite dish subscription was workable and met the demand. With the event of streaming and internet technologies, now it’s an anachronism.

Ramsplayer already allows subscribers to watch the entire match (a day?) after the event – so it’s not too big a leap of genius to realise that there is a huge market for offering a live “streaming season ticket” for those that simply can’t get to the games due to life/location/work/kids/illness/disability etc etc. Plus a reciprocal agreement between clubs to offer “streaming away match season tickets” would have even more appeal.

Of course the only fly in the ointment is that once you start officially streaming games – you have a constant battle on your hands to protect that stream from being hijacked by illegal sources (as happens now with all Prem games).

I’m sure we’ve all watched dodgy streams of games – and it’s never because we want to defraud the clubs. If there was an option to pay for it and the quality was reliable, didn’t stutter, didn’t break up, didn’t look like a load of coloured blocks running around a green carpet, didn’t suddenly stop altogether and didn’t have Hungarian commentary then I bet the majority of football fans would be more inclined to pay for it.

A Spotify for live football would be a game changer (pun intended).

This is Mel’s chance to alter the course of football broadcast history! Go Mel!

Archived