Musicians

Coneheadjohn

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Absolutely for the money. I made more cash in covers bands than I ever did in bands trying to get a record contract with Mr Big from Big Records :lol:

Once you swallow your pride it's actually really good fun - and as well as the money, we also got the best crowds and the best reaction from the ladies (if you know what I mean..)

What tribute band were you in Stive?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I weren't having a pop Stive at tribute bands. They're playing instruments, getting out there and doing something positive.

Just wondered if it was more the experience and money that was the motivation rather than anything more musically serious.

I have a lot more respect for tribute bands than some caked up in make up wailer on X Factor roaring her eyes out about how it 'means the world'.

A lot more.

2 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I weren't having a pop Stive at tribute bands. They're playing instruments, getting out there and doing something positive.

Just wondered if it was more the experience and money that was the motivation rather than anything more musically serious.

Yeah I know you weren't. It is a weird "other world" of playing music though. It wasn't a tribute band that I was in, just some mates from various other bands who got offered the chance to go and play abroad in a bar for a week on the med. All expenses paid, flights, board and meals(and beer!)  - free holiday essentially. The only downside was we had to do covers. So we swallowed our pride and learned up a couple of hours of generic MTV alt.rock hits (Nirvana, Green Day, Oasis etc) and went for it. It was so much fun we went back twice a year for about 7 years before we all just got a bit fed up and started having kids etc

The thing was you have to take it seriously and actually learn the songs note for note otherwise you're easily found out - cos the audience all know the songs so well. But it made us all better players, and you learn a lot about "songcraft" if that's a real word?

We did quite a few weddings and parties along the way in the UK, and as I said - we earned decent money even though it was mates rates and we weren't actively seeking those gigs. Pro covers bands for a wedding charge a flippin fortune!

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah I know you weren't. It is a weird "other world" of playing music though. It wasn't a tribute band that I was in, just some mates from various other bands who got offered the chance to go and play abroad in a bar for a week on the med. All expenses paid, flights, board and meals(and beer!)  - free holiday essentially. The only downside was we had to do covers. So we swallowed our pride and learned up a couple of hours of generic MTV alt.rock hits (Nirvana, Green Day, Oasis etc) and went for it. It was so much fun we went back twice a year for about 7 years before we all just got a bit fed up and started having kids etc

The thing was you have to take it seriously and actually learn the songs note for note otherwise you're easily found out - cos the audience all know the songs so well. But it made us all better players, and you learn a lot about "songcraft" if that's a real word?

We did quite a few weddings and parties along the way in the UK, and as I said - we earned decent money even though it was mates rates and we weren't actively seeking those gigs. Pro covers bands for a wedding charge a flippin fortune!

Sounds a right laugh though Stive. Opened my eyes a bit too about how difficult it must be when the audience will be huge fans of the songs and will recognize any variances.

i did three weeks of volunteer work of organizing and running a world record attempt at the longest non stop 2 week concert.  We had a big problem come up one day well into the program, from noon until six we had no band lined up to play and were running out of ideas.  My friend who sort of plucked the bass and i who didn't play anything decided to quickly form a band.  Got a drummer from this band, a good guitarist from that one and a famous keyboard player with one arm in a cast and we were all set.  i would be doing the singing, yikes.  We called ourselves The Jam Band for we had no time to rehearse.  The band Þeyr loaned us their amps, mixer, keyboards and other essentials and we all set. 

Thankfully very few were in the audience and mostly kids and we started off with stuff most knew, covers of famous songs.  i don't think i remembered one line in any of the songs so had to make it up mumble singing while sitting in a chair with crossed legs hugging the mike and absolutely terrified.  The rules were such that we had to play for 45 minutes with 5 minute breaks for six hours straight and we were running out of songs to cover.  That's when the cool thing happened, which sticks in my memory and brings a smile.  The drummer started a beat, the bass and guitar joining in and finally the keyboardist and after going around the tune for a couple of laps i was ready to join in.  It became a slow type of blues that gained strength as it went on and ending in a screaming crescendo of solid sound.  It took 45 minutes to perform with solos for all of course and we were so enthralled with what we were doing that we hadn't noticed the place had filled up with a now very excited and cheering audience.  Afterwards, some kids, bless their hearts, asked when the album was coming out.

We were invited to a blues concert to be held at a decent venue but it got cancelled and we never played again.  i see the guitarist sometimes out on the town and whenever we meet we just laugh remembering that time.

The world record got beaten BTW 

Well,I packed up with my last band 2 months ago.

Formed a charity band to raise money for anything really about 5 years ago,tried to do most for the childrens hospital in Sheffield as one of my boys has been  ill for a few years now.

Blimey we played some dumps,but all in a good cause.

Always went down well and had a laugh.

No time anymore unfortunately.

I might even have a video if anyone wants a laugh.

Drums. Played my first gig when I was 10. Played at the legendary Vic Inn when I was 12. Life has got busy so I don't do the gigs anymore, although I may be helping a mate out on a little tour next year. Played main stage at YNot a few years back (early one Sunday morning!) Taught myself a bit of piano too.

51 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I hear you play the porcelain trombone on a Sunday morning.

My bowels are a thing of wonder.

As in 'I wonder how come there were no fatalities'.

Archived