Musicians

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to play the trumpet, cornet, baritone and euphonium in a couple of brass bands. I drifted out of it when I was about 16.

When I was about 30 one of my kids brought home a cornet they were learning to play from school. I excitedly told her "I can play that". I tried and unfortunately the effect of a previously broken jaw on my embouchure meant I couldn't even play a note. I was really disappointed as I had always had every intention of taking it up again.

I came from a musical family: My grandma was an accomplished pianist who taught into her 80's, was school pianist for several local schools and also played for several local drama and dance groups; mum played violin, viola, clarinet, flute, recorder and was a reasonable pianist although now she only amuses her great-grandkids by pulling out her recorder and playing along to tv theme tunes. 

I used to play trumpet, started when I was 12 , packed it in at 62. Deteriorating front teeth and hearing do not make for a good brass player. It used to consume my entire non-working life.

Got dragged into brass-banding occasionally but never really took to it. It was like selling your soul to the devil. The secretary used to come banging on the door of a Sunday evening wanting to know why I wasn't at band practice. And those contests, and marches, especially Whit Fridays. :(

Most of my playing was classical, and living in London for several years, there was no lack of opportunity. Played with (in the musical sense) some famous people, most notably Kiri Te Kanawa. Also played Porgy and Bess with Simon Rattle conducting. Did one concert with Sir Adrian Boult, who was quite old and infirm at the time. Quite the Edwardian gentleman. Also did quite a few shows, and some big band.

Playing in an orchestra, it's drummed into you to listen to what's going on around you whilst playing. After 50 years, this leaves you with a permanent sub-conscious capacity to hear the music without actually listening. Shops, cafes, TV shows, I pick it up without listening. It makes the enforced viewing of Strictly come Dancing more tolerable, on account of the band, who  are tip top.

11 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Play drums with a couple of mates in Rotherham. A bit in the Alice in Chains mould. Had a song played on radio 1 and radio Sheffield . I'm no spring chicken myself however.

You can't post that without giving the name of the band. Cough it up.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

@TroyDyer plays. I think he mastered the bagpipes.

Reminds me of an anecdote told by my uncle, who lives in Taddington. He and his mate were in the local boozer, well off the beaten track, one Saturday evening when one by one, a coach load of Scotsmen, in full highland regalia, drifted in.

One of them plonked himself down at the table where my uncle was. My uncle remarked it was quite an unusual sight in such a remote spot, to which the guy remarked 'We're on our way back from a bagpipe playing competition in Buxton'. My uncle's mate remarked 'The man hasn't yet been born who can tell the difference between good bagpipe playing and bad bagpipe playing',to which the gentleman bridled and said 'I'M the adjudicator'. Time for a sharp exit.

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

You can't post that without giving the name of the band. Cough it up.

We've not really got one. Just go by untitled. The dispute is the naming of the band. I like more eccentric long winded names like We Were Promised Jetpacks, Weather Related Camping Disaster or Send More Paramedics all of which are existing bands.

My choice would be Don't Shoot At Animals with a back up of Rough Sea Crossings but friends like more serious, short names like Degrade or Catacombs and crap like that.

I often think many bands try to be too overly serious, especially as hardly any will end up getting anywhere.Some band names are just embarrassing and trying to be dark or intelligent on purpose. Just have fun and do it for your own enjoyment is what I say.

12 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Play drums with a couple of mates in Rotherham. A bit in the Alice in Chains mould. Had a song played on radio 1 and radio Sheffield . I'm no spring chicken myself however.

Nice one.Got a facebook page or anywhere I could have a listen?

And me neither.

7 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Guitar . Mainly electric . In pub bands years ago . Now purely to stave off darkness ! Have digital recording device . Write and record songs. 

Brilliant.I wanting to set up some stuff at home to record stuff but I'm as thick as muck and can't work it out.

3 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Thing is Anon. We'll not get anywhere because we won't be able to do live gigs. My anxiety just wouldn't manage.

You just do what you can do and enjoy it.

Having said that, many of todays manufactured pop rubbish mime anyway so technically they also don't do live gigs. :lol:

I know it's not nearly heavy enough for your tastes, but if you were into shoegaze your social anxiety would be seen as a positive boon.

10 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

That's why I don't get tribute bands. Presumably they're all accomplished musicians so why go around copying others? Is it because of money and they can actually make some? I don't know.

Answers on a postcard on that one please.

I've only really played in cover bands simply because I've always had to go with the majority on music styles.

As in playing Oasis/Stereophonics etc rather than very heavy stuff,I always played it a bit too metal tbh.

19 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

That's why I don't get tribute bands. Presumably they're all accomplished musicians so why go around copying others? Is it because of money and they can actually make some? I don't know.

Answers on a postcard on that one please.

Absolutely for the money. I made more cash in covers bands than I ever did in bands trying to get a record contract with Mr Big from Big Records :lol:

Once you swallow your pride it's actually really good fun - and as well as the money, we also got the best crowds and the best reaction from the ladies (if you know what I mean..)

21 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Nice one.Got a facebook page or anywhere I could have a listen?

And me neither.

We all hate facebook and twitter and the like. It's not us trying to be rebellious. We're all approaching our 40's and are past all that but just we've always baulked at social media sites as just brainwashers and just full of pointless trivia.

Obviously if you're not 'out there' or have an 'online presence' or 'profile' then you can't succeed. That's fine.

Whenever I hear someone say something has 'gone viral' with excitement I pity the human race.

We don't do video. Music is about what comes in through your ears and not through your eyes. That and anxiety issues. :lol:

We just make songs, have a drink and my mate puts stuff on discs, the one who knows about technology. One song has been cleaned up and it got sent to BBC and they played it a few times apparently on an 'unsigned' programme they used to run.

That's about as far as it goes though really. Just mucking about really playing for friends and stuff. Beats sat down on the settee all watching inane telly as evening entertainment.

We've got strange views on the world and society and have a back to basics outlook on life on everything from food production to the way people seem to be more selfish, ignorant and self obsessed right through to conspiracy theories.

Oh and ones and Evertonian.

Explains it all really. :lol:

The main thing is we're just decent honest folk trying to get by, enjoy ourselves and not be reliant on media, consumerism and technology in order to make ourselves feel better.

21 minutes ago, Anon said:

I know it's not nearly heavy enough for your tastes, but if you were into shoegaze your social anxiety would be seen as a positive boon.

Loved shoegazing back in the 90's. Slowdive were my favourite. Went to Iceland once (the country) and sat down on Reykjavik harbour looking at Mount Esja across the bay with it's snow capped peaks in darkness listening to Eriks Song on my personal stereo thingy. Amazing ethereal experience.

Archived