Q.P.R. vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I like weimann but I'm a massive fan of Russell and I don't like  winning a team being changed....in Mac we trust,as always,however

I wouldn't normally be either, but Russell's game relies heavily on fitness, and with three games this week it makes sense for him to be rested potentially if Mac considers Saturday to be the harder game- it's still a risk considering this is still a tough game, but weimann is just as capable if not more. Russell didn't really have too brilliant a game either on Saturday so it seems the right call

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I wouldn't normally be either, but Russell's game relies heavily on fitness, and with three games this week it makes sense for him to be rested potentially if Mac considers Saturday to be the harder game- it's still a risk considering this is still a tough game, but weimann is just as capable if not more. Russell didn't really have too brilliant a game either on Saturday so it seems the right call

Yeh... he only got 2 assists

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He can't claim them!

Flicked on a corner and had a good shot saved. Why not?

In association football, an assist is a pass or a cross by a player which helps to score a goal. Most commonly, an assist is given to a player for passing or crossing the ball to the scorer. It may also be awarded to a player whose shot rebounds (off a defender, goalkeeper or goalpost) to a teammate who scores.

I don't think 2 assists, even if he did get them, warrant it being called a particularly good performance. Was mediocre and his performances have been for most of our winning run. Was comfortable with us not changing a winning team however as he's by no means been bad, but I like that Weimanns been given a chance to do something more. 

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Completely agreed about fitness. It makes sense to rotate in Wiemann for this game and I thought this would be the case after the subs on saturday.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Bit flukey but point taken, he wasn't terrible just could have been better in his all round play- weimann will be raring to go after finally give the oppurtunity

I think, as suggested earlier, it is down to Russell not being able to play 3 games in 7 days. I would much prefer to see Anya there, but i imagine he isn't fit. I don't think Ince, Bent and Weimann are a good mix.   

Just now, sage said:

I think, as suggested earlier, it is down to Russell not being able to play 3 games in 7 days. I would much prefer to see Anya there, but i imagine he isn't fit. I don't think Ince, Bent and Weimann are a good mix.   

Believe anya is still ill, can't imagine what he's good, can't be nice for the bloke. Agreed I think weimann definately plays better with the pace of vydra, but I don't think they're incompatible, weimann isn't that different in style compared to Russell although less of a goal threat

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Flicked on a corner and had a good shot saved. Why not?

In association football, an assist is a pass or a cross by a player which helps to score a goal. Most commonly, an assist is given to a player for passing or crossing the ball to the scorer. It may also be awarded to a player whose shot rebounds (off a defender, goalkeeper or goalpost) to a teammate who scores.

That just further proves the assist stat is worthless which I always thought it was before the game anyway. 

I remember Ben Davies always getting hyped for his assists. He used to take all corners and free kicks and I remember 2 assists at Derby where one was a shot that fell into Savies path. The other was a shot that came off his bum and fell into someone else's path.

I remember Jacobs got 4 in one game? Ssausagehorpe? All corners

I hate the assist stat. Hate it even more now I know you can get it from having shots saved and deflected. Remember Dawkins hitting the post v Fulham and Martin tapping it in? What creativity!!

I thought Russell played well enough Sunday though

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

That just further proves the assist stat is worthless which I always thought it was before the game anyway. 

I remember Ben Davies always getting hyped for his assists. He used to take all corners and free kicks and I remember 2 assists at Derby where one was a shot that fell into Savies path. The other was a shot that came off his bum and fell into someone else's path.

I remember Jacobs got 4 in one game? Ssausagehorpe? 

I hate the assist stat. Hate it even more now I know you can get it from having shots saved and deflected. Remember Dawkins hitting the post v Fulham and Martin tapping it in? What creativity!!

Grumpy Bum

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I remember Jacobs got 4 in one game? Ssausagehorpe? All corners

I understand what you are getting at but I disagree that it's worthless. It's a stat that generally is a good indication of how creative a player is over a big enough sample. Because generally where the assist comes from balances out over a big enough sample of games. Anybody get can a couple flukey assists but somebody who gets a high number of assists over a season has almost certainly been a creative influence for that team (e.g Mezut Ozil had 19 assists last season). A couple of caveats that often get lost though are, it isn't the sole indication of how creative a player is (other factors both contextual and statistical need to be considered  and, like with most stats, only means something with a big enough sample size.   

Archived