Q.P.R. vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Steve picked out Russell as having had a good game on Sunday.

I think that that's called 'man management'... assuming JR listens to Radio Derby... which I imagine he doesn't.

(FWIW I dont think JR was terrible or anything but if you were picking out a player for special praise it wouldn't have been him).

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LazloW said:

I think that that's called 'man management'... assuming JR listens to Radio Derby... which I imagine he doesn't.

(FWIW I dont think JR was terrible or anything but if you were picking out a player for special praise it wouldn't have been him).

Agree with you on the man management thing. Although he didn't play badly I was surprised when Mac picked him out. Having said that though he may be playing to orders (I don't mean pass or run into an opponent before anyone suggests it) and Steve was genuinely pleased with his defensive work etc.

4 hours ago, richinspain said:

Agree with you on the man management thing. Although he didn't play badly I was surprised when Mac picked him out. Having said that though he may be playing to orders (I don't mean pass or run into an opponent before anyone suggests it) and Steve was genuinely pleased with his defensive work etc.

Good post. 

IMO Russell had a good 2nd half, but then so did many players.

In the first half Russell was probably the most disappointing in a scrappy half. But that is understandable given his lack of self confidence at the moment, and being out of form. First half Russell misplaced passes, lost the ball easily to defenders etc, but I thought he did well 2nd half.

All this wont be lost on Macca in my opinion, and praising him in an intervew should do johnny some good. Bottom line is Macca likes Russell ahead of any other options we have. And if he is the most out of form in the starting XI, so what. Someone has to be, a constant settled XI over a number of games will be good in the long run for the team and for Russell himself.

Johnny is a player I like in a Rams shirt ,, yes I also get frustrated with him at times when his attacking side , decision making and passing is off it a bit and my gut feeling was to sub him at half time Sunday but then I have to also put my balanced unpassionate fan head on and consider that the workrate , defensive give us bite on the left part of his game is never found lacking ,, his head never goes down like a lot of other player let happen , they drift out of games when it's not going for them ,, that's not our Johnny boy ,, I know it's a cliche but it's very true in this division that you really need to earn the right to play , work rate and bite are the vital first ingredient ( by no means the only one, you can't have a ream of only workrate) , Bradley coming in a doing a fine job is adding hugely to our bite and determination too , I'm happy to trust Mac on the Johnny Russell issue as Mac knows what he wants Johnny to bring to the team and it's more than just the fancy stuff , and he sees him day in day out in training , at this level Johnny boy will do for me ,he s a fan fav for a reason

10 hours ago, blackNwhites said:

Not brimming with confidence about this game. Last time we played an out of form Holloway team we lost 0-1 to Millwall at Pride Park. Ugly game to watch, slowed down and bored to death by Millwall.

Don't expect any different tonight. 

I remember that game very well .. Dunno why some games tick more than others :ermm: ? ... We did pretty well but they were organised and stuck to a plan ... and then they got under our skins, falling over, wasting time and snatched one .. Then more falling over and feigned injuries. Went home furious because we deserved at least a point and probably more but their gamesmanship, rather than football performance, got them the points

10 hours ago, blackNwhites said:

Not brimming with confidence about this game. Last time we played an out of form Holloway team we lost 0-1 to Millwall at Pride Park. Ugly game to watch, slowed down and bored to death by Millwall.

Don't expect any different tonight. 

I remember it well too, they were appauling tactics, players feigning injury to stop the game and break up our play. Sadly our inexperience allowed them to get away with it and we lost. I also think officials should take responsibility when such obvious play acting and time wasting is taking place....slap an early booking on a keeper who is time wasting that will sort it.

I guess you cant blame holloway for using them if it works. Its just not very nice to watch.

10 hours ago, archied said:

Johnny is a player I like in a Rams shirt ,, yes I also get frustrated with him at times when his attacking side , decision making and passing is off it a bit and my gut feeling was to sub him at half time Sunday but then I have to also put my balanced unpassionate fan head on and consider that the workrate , defensive give us bite on the left part of his game is never found lacking ,, his head never goes down like a lot of other player let happen , they drift out of games when it's not going for them ,, that's not our Johnny boy ,, I know it's a cliche but it's very true in this division that you really need to earn the right to play , work rate and bite are the vital first ingredient ( by no means the only one, you can't have a ream of only workrate) , Bradley coming in a doing a fine job is adding hugely to our bite and determination too , I'm happy to trust Mac on the Johnny Russell issue as Mac knows what he wants Johnny to bring to the team and it's more than just the fancy stuff , and he sees him day in day out in training , at this level Johnny boy will do for me ,he s a fan fav for a reason

Johnny's flick on gets our first goal

Johnny's saved shot gets our third

Not bad for a days work against our biggest rivals

Archived