Butterfield .. and Baird

Ninos

First half our midfield three was too deep. That means Butterfield and Highe have to advance more to stop the sideways passing.

Second half they were superb. Everything was 10-20 yards further up the pitch as Forest lost their shape. Butterfield drove forward with the ball, Hughes got the ball outside the box etc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

I suspect there is a part of Tom Ince that likes playing with Baird - because Baird's priorities are straight-forward defending and feeding decent balls to Ince

As opposed to playing with Christie, where you can see Ince sometimes gets frustrated that Christie hasn't played the simple ball to him, choosing instead to try and jink round 4 players

100% spot on. Thought this before. Baird being defence first means Ince doesnt have to cover for the more marauding Christie

11 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

100% spot on. Thought this before. Baird being defence first means Ince doesnt have to cover for the more marauding Christie

I think it works really well too....I'm not actually sure I want Christie to come back, he's not bad at all, but he leaves us exposed and I still think Baird has more end product over christie...:lol:.

Baird right now is acting as a slightly slower, much older andre wisdom......shows how good I think wisdom would be if we could get him at rb again...

Amazing what Baird can do when played in the correct position. He's a right back and doing a great job as he did when he first joined.

Butterfield was stunning second half but Johnson was my MOM (and never thought I'd ever say that!)

Lowest mark out of 10 today for me was Russell but even he would have still been a 7. Everyone to a man was excellent today!

Both players played well today, Butterfield used the ball well especially second half, but Baird was excellent again today, very good positional, wins all his headers, and can also use the ball well, and his experience is so important to us, to be honest I would not drop him for Christie when Christie  is fit.

2 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

to be honest I would not drop him for Christie when Christie  is fit.

It's great to be saying stuff like this isn't it? Wouldn't drop the players who are nominally "stand-ins" for the first choice players. Wouldn't drop Johnson for Thorne when he comes back, wouldn't drop Baird for Christie

The big question is whether to drop Bent when Martin comes back :ph34r:

Apart from Baird's pass I also loved Hughes' disguised delicate pass to Russell for the 3rd.  Probably should have got it back, but got his goal anyway.  Picked up a silly booking though.

Any chance Thorne, Johnson can play together with Hughes in front when GT is fit?  Harsh on Butterfield I'll admit but i still just can't imagine letting a fully fit Thorne out of the side.  And Johnson is looking undroppable recently.  Nice problem to have I suppose. 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Amazing what Baird can do when played in the correct position. He's a right back and doing a great job as he did when he first joined.

Butterfield was stunning second half but Johnson was my MOM (and never thought I'd ever say that!)

Lowest mark out of 10 today for me was Russell but even he would have still been a 7. Everyone to a man was excellent today!

Russell a 7?

Moving into such a great position, that turn and shot to set it up for a very grateful hughesy, deserves an 8 for his play today. Especially his chasing down and work in the first half. Forest to be fair didn't have an answer to anything we threw at them.

Never thought I'd be so praising of Russell either, I've been a fan of Johnson since he got here and just wanted him to have a run of games. But Russell recently hasn't turned up enough, glad he is proving me wrong.

Up the rams!!!

9 hours ago, Gritters said:

It's good to see these players who we didn't think were much cop coming good. Baird has really impressed me and I doubt Christie would get back into the team at the moment. Johnson is really stepping up and playing in a position he wasn't really bought to play in. The good thing is no one is saying we'll come good when Thorne is back. Again I doubt Thorne would get in the team either which is good because we don't have to rush him back.

Thorne has been our favourite player alongside hughes but you're right. There is zero chance that Christie or Thorne would crack the starting lineup with Baird and Johnson right now, especially Bradley Fighting Vehicle there. Always loved him he's such a Beast. But Good god he's some special player in that dcm position. With Thorne back we will have two of em! 

Fantastic result today, with virtually the whole team a 7.5 to 9, very confident for QPR

but its gonna be tough at Fulham, presumably Martin can't play, but to sit and watch

him with the Home Crew will be tough. He seems to be firing on all cylinders now, can you

imagine how well he would be doing in our team at the moment!

It's strange, don't get me wrong I thought johnson was immense today, a real warrior who as the game wore on just grew and grew and we couldn't have won it without him but I actually thought his passing was a little bit mixed.

there was a few occasions he tried to force the Issue and failed by quite a distance,

It's interesting how he plays that holding role to Thorne.

obviously it's not his natural position but at his stage of his career has it come at the right time and is a role that will suit him best as time goes on.

thorne is class in that role, we all know that, he does literally play it as a quarter back, he's able to tackle and his passing is at times a thing of beauty but at this level in the championship is anyone else starting to think that perhaps a Bradly esq battler in that position gives us the backbone and tougher spine that perhaps in previous campaigns we lacked.

i remember the promotion season under jim smith and that side could play, they could pass teams off the park, but they won their battles first, with Powell and VDL doing the graft and nasty stuff that allowed the likes of simmo, Willems and co to go off off and be beautiful higher up the pitch.

im not saying Thorne out or anything daft it's just an interesting dilemma moving forward and it might not be quite so cut and dry when gorgeous George ?Returns

well done Bradly, 

10 hours ago, StivePesley said:

It's great to be saying stuff like this isn't it? Wouldn't drop the players who are nominally "stand-ins" for the first choice players. Wouldn't drop Johnson for Thorne when he comes back, wouldn't drop Baird for Christie

The big question is whether to drop Bent when Martin comes back :ph34r:

Considering Martin is likely going to Fulham on a perm in January we need not worry.

The improvement in Butterfield is staggering. I felt that he hid from the ball to often and always seemed to opt for the safe pass. Now he wants the ball all the time, even under pressure. He gets his head up nice and early to pick out people in space. He still can't tackle, but when is possession he's very difficult to knock off the ball. He even won a header on Sunday.

I loved to see him busting a gut to get forwards and support Wiemann on a breakaway in the 94th minute. It shows desire, positive intent and a willingness to run himself into the ground for the team. Everything I want from a footballer.

16 hours ago, Joe. said:

Seems like all Clements signings are coming good, Blackman to come back a goal machine anyone?

We did say at the time that our transfer policy just seemed to be "sign all everyone else's best players".

:ph34r:

Just took a certain Mac to get them playing to their strengths. Can't say why he does so well at Derby and wasn't a success elsewhere, but my god it's great to be a Derby fan right now. 

Archived