Butterfield .. and Baird

Ninos

I've been tough on Butterfield but I'll be the quickest to raise my hand and say he was utterly fantastic today - tracked back won balls attacked did a few dipsy doo moves, never lost possession and passes were fantastic. He even dispossessed them. He's still off on his shooting but that will come. Showed what he's capable of.  My MOTM and I hope he keeps it up. Seems like the more he plays the better he gets. 

also a big heap of praise for Baird who was so dominant in the air it was johnson-esque. So many great performances but it was pleasing to see these two play so exceptionally well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baird was fantastic I must admit, really a joy to watch. His composure in defence to get it back to Carson to relieve pressure is great to have. One header had a bit too much on it but Carson cleared it anyway. An absolutely fantastic pass to set-up Ince's goal - if Thorne had played that through we'd be raving about it for weeks. I also enjoyed how Carson glided the ball out to Baird who leapt and flicked it on down the wing for Ince multiple times throughout the game. The two of them absolutely bossed that flank of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I've been tough on Butterfield but I'll be the quickest to raise my hand and say he was utterly fantastic today - tracked back won balls attacked did a few dipsy doo moves, never lost possession and passes were fantastic. He even dispossessed them. He's still off on his shooting but that will come. Showed what he's capable of.  My MOTM and I hope he keeps it up. Seems like the more he plays the better he gets. 

also a big heap of praise for Baird who was so dominant in the air it was johnson-esque. So many great performances but it was pleasing to see these two play so exceptionally well.

IMG_0891.GIF

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Now if @B4ev6is could just say something nice about Baird....

Thought all 3 midfielders were brilliant after a slow start. Johnson settled quickest, then Hughes. 

By the end they'd just destroyed the Forest pairing and anyone stupid enough to think the central midfield was up for grabs

Johnson's unbelievable right now. Keeping it so simple and it's having a major impact. His defence of his zone today was brutal. Keogh and Pearce should buy him his beers tonight. 

Great display once we settled 

8 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Baird was fantastic I must admit, really a joy to watch. His composure in defence to get it back to Carson to relieve pressure is great to have. One header had a bit too much on it but Carson cleared it anyway. An absolutely fantastic pass to set-up Ince's goal - if Thorne had played that through we'd be raving about it for weeks. I also enjoyed how Carson glided the ball out to Baird who leapt and flicked it on down the wing for Ince multiple times throughout the game. The two of them absolutely bossed that flank of the pitch.

Also the moment in the first half when he put in a good ball for Bent, but a Forest player cynically tripped him in the box before Bent could let us know whether or not he could reach it for the tap in. Great performance from Baird, in my view he's more than stepped into Cyrus' shoes defensively, and has much more end product.

8 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Now if @B4ev6is could just say something nice about Baird....

B4 will come around. Baird was pretty impressive and I mean everyone around us was talking about how good he was ... he made a few mistakes but that's understandable given limited playing time ...then the icing on the cake the through ball to Ince WOW ... b4 couldn't have missed that 

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Thought all 3 midfielders were brilliant after a slow start. Johnson settled quickest, then Hughes. 

By the end they'd just destroyed the Forest pairing and anyone stupid enough to think the central midfield was up for grabs

Johnson's unbelievable right now. Keeping it so simple and it's having a major impact. His defence of his zone today was brutal. Keogh and Pearce should buy him his beers tonight. 

Great display once we settled 

We loved that play when the ball was pushed to their forward and johnson just came through like a damn sledgehammer and smashed the ball through him. Forest player didn't know what the hell had hit him 

14 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Agreed. There was a lot of composed first class  guardiola type quick clever passing in the back when we had the lead in the second half - and then we would thread a sweet ball at the end of each ... it was really enjoyable to watch. We hoofed it when he had to but we mostly played it out 

26 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Agreed. There was a lot of composed first class  guardiola type quick clever passing in the back when we had the lead in the second half - and then we would thread a sweet ball at the end of each ... it was really enjoyable to watch. We hoofed it when he had to but we mostly played it out 

Luckily not Guardiola type defending then.

I suspect there is a part of Tom Ince that likes playing with Baird - because Baird's priorities are straight-forward defending and feeding decent balls to Ince

As opposed to playing with Christie, where you can see Ince sometimes gets frustrated that Christie hasn't played the simple ball to him, choosing instead to try and jink round 4 players

That ball to Ince wasn't just good, it was perfect!

Just the right amount of pace to fool the Forest lad into attempting to slide it clear, taking him out of the equation, whilst being hard enough to actually reach Ince.

As good as the pass was though, Ince bettered it with his finish.

Beautiful work fellas.

It's good to see these players who we didn't think were much cop coming good. Baird has really impressed me and I doubt Christie would get back into the team at the moment. Johnson is really stepping up and playing in a position he wasn't really bought to play in. The good thing is no one is saying we'll come good when Thorne is back. Again I doubt Thorne would get in the team either which is good because we don't have to rush him back.

Archived