WIN: Derby County Books, including signed copy of Stuart Webb's Clough, Maxwell & Me

David

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/12/2016 at 22:16, David said:

Was actually quite close, we had around 10 all within 150/200 ish off. Only 1 in it between Ossie and Mafia!

One couldn't errr make it..... went to sleep with the fishes 

4 hours ago, Boycie said:

Anybody read it yet? 

Im sure the publishers would like a few reviews on here?

I'm halfway through it and will probably finish it over the next few day as soon as I've finished my last night shift. 

It is a good read so far and as well as bringing back some good and not so good memories, it does tell a few tales of things behind the scenes that very few would be privy too and some would be shocked to see if they hadn't followed Derby and the goings on over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23 December 2016 at 11:16, Boycie said:

Anybody read it yet? 

Im sure the publishers would like a few reviews on here?

I've read it. It is quite interesting.

i was never 100% sure about Webby. He always seemed to be loitering - a bit like michael Portillo. The clip where Cloughie is on the pitch signing a new contract whilst being interviewed by hugh johns is typical. Sam longson is stood behind Clough, but webby is there too. Why?

however this is a good read. he certainly deserves a place in the history of derby county for his efforts during the bankrupcy / high court saga. the saga of signing mark wright was a new story to me - funded by him and a few others dipping into their own pockets. he has quite a negative view of maxwell, and was also critical of Lionel too which came as a bit of a surprise

he does have a strange habit of quoting people at length singing his own praises.

Its also interesting that he refers to bobby robson as his choice to replace Brian Clough, and Mackay as his second choice. The directors seem to have followed his choices. Maybe he went a bit beyond his remit. if so,then no wonder brian didn't trust him - altho Peter Taylor was clearly happy enough to come back and work with him again.  

All in all he seems to be one of the better guys we've had in the boardroom.

Archived