Stephen Bloomer Cap Collection comprising 19 caps (

loweman2

44 minutes ago, Roger_Ramjet said:

If I am being brutally honest, it wouldn't need to be a large museum to show case our achievements: 1 FA Cup and 2 First Division Titles over 128 years.  Oh and a Watneys Cup and a Texaco Cup

The Quad exhibition had quite a few things from the clubs history.

Players boots, welcome to the BBG sign, turnstiles, signed merchandise, programmes dating back to the 1880s, Brian Cloughs contract ..loads of bits and bobs. 

I know we can't quite have a museum like that at Camp Nou or Old Trafford, but we still have a ton of cool memorabilia to display I'd imagine.

Surprised DCFC haven't taken note of the Quad exhibition and done something similar.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roger_Ramjet said:

If I am being brutally honest, it wouldn't need to be a large museum to show case our achievements: 1 FA Cup and 2 First Division Titles over 128 years.  Oh and a Watneys Cup and a Texaco Cup

And don't forget this !

IMG_3642.JPG

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

Well yes, but they'd want the units to be money making ventures, a museum is hardly that.

But it might attract a few people to the area earlier on match day or non match days - increasing footfall

3 hours ago, Roger_Ramjet said:

Your falling into the trap that History means Achievements. It's notable events and museums showcase these events good or bad, while the clubs been in existence.

steve Bloome is a big part of our early History.

we have hosted International matches at three different stadiums

The whole Clough era itself is a huge chunk of our history

the fall to the third division is a big piece of our history to be showcased, together with our subsequent rise to the first division.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Lovely sounding product but I think they're trying it on with that estimate. Something's worth what people will pay for it and Bloomer is mainly associated with DCFC, so this is likely to go to a fan and collector. Outside Derby Bloomer won't have much recognition and kudos. Love it if they become part of a DCFC museum, and I'd loan some of my stuff too, but they're having a laugh at half a million quid. A tenth of that maybe. But only maybe.

Spot on!

I'll eat my cap if they fetch the quoted guide prices.

23 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I hope DCFC buy em. Would be good if we had a 'museum' type installation somewhere at the ground which could be incorporated into stadium tours. All that stuff that was at the Quad could maybe be added over time too. 

If id accrued a bit more OT this month then I'd buy them myself but what with Xmas and away game commitments, then I'm a few quid shy of the anticipated asking price.

Steve Bloomer was a Black Country lad who never played professionally for Albion, Wolves or Walsall.

Duncan Edwards, a Dudley lad, was one of the Busby Babes who died in the Munich air disaster.

The council have all his caps and trophies prominently displayed in Dudley for all to see. The major access road is Duncan Edwards Way.

Here in the Black Country we know how to honour our heroes.

If Derby, or DCFC miss out on this opportunity maybe his birthplace can benefit!

Hope the Rams buy them!

PS....WBA have lots of memorabilia on display at the Hawthorns too!

11 hours ago, Rich84 said:

The original plans were intended to have a museum in the south west corner (Guthrie corner now) but it lay empty until Funktion Fitness went in.... Which is conveniently shut now, so just get on it DCFC 

Remember a gentleman called Kieth Loring .He had some "big ideas" one was a museum and another was a hall of fame.

Never seemed to get OFF the ground though !

Bloomer had an incredible career and was truly football's first superstar; do see Peter Seddon's classic biography of SB if you haven't yet read it. He was even a great baseball player (in Derby's title-winning team!) before the Football League was formed. 

The club and the Derby County Collection curators are aware of the auction! No idea if MM has his cheque-book ready, though....

Such a shame SB played before the video age; there is virtually nil newsreel footage of him so he gets submerged in deep history. He holds immortal status among the greatest goalscorers in British football history, alongside such as Dixie Dean, Jimmy Greaves and Nat Lofthouse.

The chronic employment conditions in SB's birthplace, Cradley, led his family to uproot to Derby when Bloomer was 5 years old (with his Dad then getting work at Leys)....Steve's emergence in sport (including 14 goals in one junior game!) brought him to the attention of DCFC; his story and achievements stand as testimony to his greatness.

Hopefully there will soon be moves for the long-promised DCFC stadium museum, as there is a large archive of Rams' memorabilia and artifacts with the DC Collection, which should be accessible for the enjoyment of fans rather than being perpetually held in storage. 

• 2 weeks later...

bloomer-caps-crop-1024x479.jpghttp://whlane.auction/bloomer/

In 2007, Wiebke Weyh, curator of the National Football Museum and the International FIFA Collection when this collection was housed at Preston, England and before the Museum relocated to the city of Manchester said:

“the Steve Bloomer International Cap collection is of national, indeed, international importance. I doubt if there is another Victorian/Edwardian football cap collection like it anywhere in the world from the same period. It is truly unique. I can’t put a market value on such a collection, but what I can say, is that to the history of football heritage, the collection is simply priceless. Bloomer really was the first real goal scoring football superstar…”

Very impressive display. Really does belong at Derby County. Wonder who bought it?

44 minutes ago, KBB said:

Fawaz. So he can go on twitter and wind up the Derby fans so the forest fans love him again.

Don't think he's got £320,000 to spare has he? All I see on the Forest forum is how stingy he's been and that they're a team of free signings (must say, wasn'tmy impression, but guess they know best!)

22 hours ago, Ellafella said:

bloomer-caps-crop-1024x479.jpghttp://whlane.auction/bloomer/

In 2007, Wiebke Weyh, curator of the National Football Museum and the International FIFA Collection when this collection was housed at Preston, England and before the Museum relocated to the city of Manchester said:

“the Steve Bloomer International Cap collection is of national, indeed, international importance. I doubt if there is another Victorian/Edwardian football cap collection like it anywhere in the world from the same period. It is truly unique. I can’t put a market value on such a collection, but what I can say, is that to the history of football heritage, the collection is simply priceless. Bloomer really was the first real goal scoring football superstar…”

Very impressive display. Really does belong at Derby County. Wonder who bought it?

Was he a ginger?

Archived