Child of the....?

Chester40

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid of the 80s.

Tonibell Ice-cream van, 

White dog poo.

Playing football on a Saturday morning on Stockbrook Park when midway through the match a stream of 50-100 women coming back from the sewing factories to Normanton would basically invade the pitch as a shortcut :lol: 

Reg's (community centre on Stockbrook Street built by Reg Harrison)

FA cup magic (excellent finals, and that roar when the captain lifted the trophy)

Identifying with footballers

Dynasty, Dallas and being bored by them.

Leslie Crowther, Bob Monkhouse, Russ Abbott, Michael Aspel, Des O'Connor, Tom O'Connor.

Bob Wilson, David Icke, David Vine, Steve Ryder, Dickie Davies, Saint & Greavsie.

BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 - NOTHING ELSE!

Shops shutting early on Sundays, or not opening at all.

Tight football shorts.

Invasion of Nike, Puma, Adidas, Ellesse, Fila, Sergio Tachini etc.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4- NOTHING ELSE!

I still remember that for weeks before Channel 4 launched they had a test card type screen showing loads of square tv images.  One of them was a stock image of two footballers and I was convinced this meant Channel 4 would show football.  My dad was not convinced and more importantly was right.

On 03/12/2016 at 14:09, Mostyn6 said:

Kid of the 80s.

Tonibell Ice-cream van, 

White dog poo.

Playing football on a Saturday morning on Stockbrook Park when midway through the match a stream of 50-100 women coming back from the sewing factories to Normanton would basically invade the pitch as a shortcut :lol: 

Reg's (community centre on Stockbrook Street built by Reg Harrison)

FA cup magic (excellent finals, and that roar when the captain lifted the trophy)

Identifying with footballers

Dynasty, Dallas and being bored by them.

Leslie Crowther, Bob Monkhouse, Russ Abbott, Michael Aspel, Des O'Connor, Tom O'Connor.

Bob Wilson, David Icke, David Vine, Steve Ryder, Dickie Davies, Saint & Greavsie.

BBC1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 - NOTHING ELSE!

Shops shutting early on Sundays, or not opening at all.

Tight football shorts.

Invasion of Nike, Puma, Adidas, Ellesse, Fila, Sergio Tachini etc.

Sony Walkman, wearing school tie the wrong way round, ITV Saturday tea time wrestling,, 1/2 pence coins

80's definitely. Most of other stuff posted applies to me as well & I've talked about music on the other thread.

For TV though, I remember Sunday teatime TV was Battlestar Galactica. We had TV's in 2 rooms - one had Yorkshire ITV and the other one had Central and they had different schedules. It meant I could watch BG on one TV and go into the other room and then watch another (different) epiosde on Yorkshire.

We were one of the last people I know to get a VCR, so if we were out or busy, I was so peed off because I'd effectively missed my favourite show twice in one day.

On 12/2/2016 at 18:30, jono said:

60's although I sneak in to the 50's on a DOB basis

Supercar / Fireball XL5 / Thundebirds

Beatles / Four Tops / Shirelles / Supremes / Monkeys / Dusty Springfield / Petula Clarke

Avengers / Michael Caine / Sophia Loren / Man from uncle / Batman and Robin / The Goons,  Peter Cook and Dudley Moore / double your money and the golden shot. 

World Cup / Bob Beaman Mexico olympics / Jim Clarke, Jackie Stewart, Pedro Rodriguez and Grandad with a football pink watching the wrestling on a Saturday. 

first plane flight was on a 4 engined prop plane and remember the miracle of colour telly. 

Dream cars were Jaguar E types / Aston DB5 / 275 GTB Ferrari / GT40 

frost on the inside of your bedroom window and bin men who carried bins to the wagon and sadistic PE teachers 

Frog spawn, Rice pudding, school custard, freezing seaside holidays but somehow they were fun.  Fish and chips in real newspaper. Adjusting a sturmey archer 3 speed gear hub and really wanting a 5 speed derailleur with drop handles like the kid next door had. 

Great post ,I was born early fifties so 60's child really started as a boy and finished as a teenager brilliant .So to add trolleys  made from pram wheels ,outside bogs frozen in the winter ,Tamla Motown  mods and rockers ,Lambretta scooters ,snow in winter, pubs packed every night , Double Diamond , my souped up Ford Anglia .

2 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Great post ,I was born early fifties so 60's child really started as a boy and finished as a teenager brilliant .So to add trolleys  made from pram wheels ,outside bogs frozen in the winter ,Tamla Motown  mods and rockers ,Lambretta scooters ,snow in winter, pubs packed every night , Double Diamond , my souped up Ford Anglia .

Nice one Kevin. By the time the 70's arrived I was jealous of your lot because you'd had the delights of all those mini skirts to brighten your days in the 1960's. Us poor old 70's teenagers never got to see as much leg ! My friends older brother had a parka with a target on the back .. Does that count ?

4 minutes ago, jono said:

Nice one Kevin. By the time the 70's arrived I was jealous of your lot because you'd had the delights of all those mini skirts to brighten your days in the 1960's. Us poor old 70's teenagers never got to see as much leg ! My friends older brother had a parka with a target on the back .. Does that count ?

Yep sure does ,my parka had a Union Jack on the back and of course sergeant stripes ,on the down side stockings disappeared in the sixties and tights appeared but you are right ladies fashions in the sixties [mini skirts] was great.

I always find this a hard one to answer cus I was 12 when the 90's came around and I started to notice the important things in life like the opposite sex and music as a serious art form.  Therefore I've always thought I straddled the two - 

80's - The A Team, Knightrider, Masters of the Universe, Airwolf, Grange Hill (at it's Gonch Gardner peak), Alf, The Wonder Years, The Fall Guy, Thundercats, MacGuyver, Fraggle Rock, Ted McMinn, Dean Saunders

90's - Gladiators, Baywatch, Fresh Prince of Bel-air, The Simpsons, Twin Peaks, X-Files, Roseanne, Married With Children (Christina Applgate :o), The Word, Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Igor Stimac, Aljosa Asanovic

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

I always find this a hard one to answer cus I was 12 when the 90's came around and I started to notice the important things in life like the opposite sex and music as a serious art form.  Therefore I've always thought I straddled the two - 

80's - The A Team, Knightrider, Masters of the Universe, Airwolf, Grange Hill (at it's Gonch Gardner peak), Alf, The Wonder Years, The Fall Guy, Thundercats, MacGuyver, Fraggle Rock, Ted McMinn, Dean Saunders

90's - Gladiators, Baywatch, Fresh Prince of Bel-air, The Simpsons, Twin Peaks, X-Files, Roseanne, Married With Children (Christina Applgate :o), The Word, Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Igor Stimac, Aljosa Asanovic

I like your list, but a word of warning.

You can't go back.

Example - I loved the X-Files first time round but watching them lately, they are pants. (perving over Gillian Anderson apart :thumbsup:)

15 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

You can't go back.

Example - I loved the X-Files first time round but watching them lately, they are pants. (perving over Gillian Anderson apart :thumbsup:)

Are you kidding.??...have you grabbed an oversized foam hand and watched Gladiators re-runs? Or..sat down with the kids to Fresh Prince and said 'watch out your sides may just split..'.??? Or told adolescent relatives forget that on your phone, look at the women on Baywatch...'...?? 

Hang on.....you're bloody right...

But please say not Grange Hill too?? Save me that one memory!!

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

You can't go back.

The X-Files revival was utter dross. For piercing at Gillian, I watched The Fall.  She's definitely gotten hotter as she's got gotten older

Archived