Hearts Raid

Cam the Ram

So as we all know, McClaren was at the Hearts vs Rangers game last night watching Paterson, but today he told journalists he was also there to watch a number of other players. The names he specifically mentioned were:

Bjorn Johnsen

Jamie Walker

John Souttar

Callum Paterson

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-boss-steve-mcclaren-has-revealed-he-was-watching-more-than-one-player-last-night/story-29950614-detail/story.html

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Very odd to name  names. Trying to unsettle someone? Or disguise the real target?

4 minutes ago, SkeggyRam said:

yeah i thought that, James Tavernier maybe?

Yeah SR it's C.Sammon the Hearts striker. 

The squad needs young hungry players to freshen it up! Between now and the end of August I can see alot of experienced first team players leaving because they simply aren't value for money.. pointless having a player of shackell's calibre on the bench. 

It is an unorthodox way of doing it. Turn up in your Derby gear in an empty part of the stand so you're clear to see then reel off the names of players you're watching. Clearly trying to unsettle the players. If they know we want them, it may make it easier to get them. I wouldn't be too happy if it happened to us.

17 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

The squad needs young hungry players to freshen it up! Between now and the end of August I can see alot of experienced first team players leaving because they simply aren't value for money.. pointless having a player of shackell's calibre on the bench. 

Yes thats right, because proven, experienced players are not an asset to any squad.

It obviously makes sense to jettison Shackell's experience because Pearce has won his shirt on merit, and replace him with a lesser experienced, less rounded centre half. As you say, pointless having a player of such high calibre around.

Crystal clear to me is that. Good one.

2 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

On the Hearts thing ... don't know much about any of these players, can anyone shed a little light on their track records to date?

Yes, thats right ... Dad asked to be fed some stats. Wonders never cease.

Stats that are important to their positions are a little tricky as a lot of stat tracking places don't bother with the SPL.

Paterson seems to be a goal scoring full back of sorts. He has 5 goals in 15 league appearances this season, but no assists. 

Although he has 1 goal and 1 assist from his 1 game in the Scosh league cup. 

3 yellow cards

The 2 Hearts defenders I can't find much on without doing a game by game dig and this is nowhere near interesting enough a deal to warrant me doing that.

Johnsen has 4 goals and 3 assists in 13 appearances (6 starts). 

I have to still question our transfer policy.

Steve has said In January we are looking to bring in players to cover (hearts players), not improve on the current players.

Buying cover gets you the Warnocks and shottons of the world.

Surely we have cover in the u21s, Vernam up front, Stabana at right back.

Instead of just buying bodies, use he accumaltive fees to buy one top player, like we should have done when buying Olson, Blackman and Camara last January. More bodies in the squad just limits the chance of u21 players making the break.

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I have to still question our transfer policy.

Steve has said In January we are looking to bring in players to cover (hearts players), not improve on the current players.

Instead of just buying bodies, use he accumaltive fees to buy one top player, like we should have done when buying Olson, Blackman and Camara last January. More bodies in the squad just limits the chance of u21 players making the break.

Any game in which we had to use Stabana at this stage of his progress I'd suggest to you we'd struggle. I wouldn't say he's comfortable more than not in the u21s.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Warnock and Shotton were both more than capable. Particularly Warnock. What the hell did he do wrong other than the silly sending off on his debut?

The kids will break into the side when they are ready, and if they are good enough. It isn't mandatory. 

33 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

On the Hearts thing ... don't know much about any of these players, can anyone shed a little light on their track records to date?

Yes, thats right ... Dad asked to be fed some stats. Wonders never cease.

Haven't got stats for you but I've got the opinions of Hearts fans which should shed some light on them. This is a summary of what they're saying on their forums:

Paterson:

Good player but they're resigned to him leaving due to his contract expiring. They keep throwing a figure around about a guaranteed 450k regardless of when he leaves (I assume due to him being under 23). One fan suggested he's the only player of the four mentioned who could make the step up. Very good going forward, good in the air, dangerous long throw, but question marks surrounding his defending.

Souttar:

They're saying his value will only increase as he's still only 20. Despite his age he's been a first team regular for 3 or 4 years now with Hearts and before that Dundee United. Still a little green in areas but he's getting better with every game.

Johnson:

They're surprised of our interest as he's only just signed for them following a bit of a dispute over his previous contract at CSKA Sofia. 4 goals in 13 league games this season, but only 6 were starts.

Walker:

They seem most afraid of losing Walker and think he'd be difficult to replace. He's their top scorer and can play on the wings or behind the striker (I think). 

Archived