Johnny Russell

G STAR RAM

Disagree. Russell stays in..for now anyway. Thought he generally got stuck in on Saturday and came in for some rough treatment. I can think of another player who deserves to be "rested". His general lack of involvement and commitment puts extra pressure on teammates, in the hope of one moment of magic. I am sure you know who I mean!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Last season only 12 players had a higher goal contribution in the Championship than Russell. And of those 12, only 3 weren't strikers (Forestieri, Judge and Ince). That would suggest his end product was just fine. Yes he's had a slow start to this season, but so has 90% of the team. You make it sound so easy just saying 'move him on' and assuming we can easily find a better winger who's available, willing to join us, doesn't cost tons and doesn't want massive wages.

Yes but most of them goals and assist come in about 7/8 games then does nothing, it's time to give someone else a chance, we don't need anyone else in to replace him 

6 minutes ago, MikeS said:

Disagree. Russell stays in..for now anyway. Thought he generally got stuck in on Saturday and came in for some rough treatment. I can think of another player who deserves to be "rested". His general lack of involvement and commitment puts extra pressure on teammates, in the hope of one moment of magic. I am sure you know who I mean!

Who?

Totally legitimate topic to discuss. If people don't want to talk about it, don't participate.

I like Russell. At his best, he's capable of double figures for both goals & assists and is an undoubted asset to the team. I also like his wholehearted approach - however, he hasn't been himself this season. Like the OP says, not much penetration & yesterday, with the exception of the first time drilled pass to Ince first half that nearly opened them up, he contributed very little going forward. His technique has also been below par this season, lots of first touches & easy passes going astray.

Not sure whether fitness is the issue - I suspect lack of confidence to try things/take men on & a stint on the bench with Anya coming back in might be a better option. Firstly, Anya provides a bit of blend to Ince on the right side  i.e. raw pace & secondly, he's better defensively than Russell so enabling Lowe to go forward with more confidence.

27 minutes ago, TopRam said:

Yes but most of them goals and assist come in about 7/8 games then does nothing, it's time to give someone else a chance, we don't need anyone else in to replace him 

Well I'm fairly sure that isn't true, but I'm not sure where we could even check both goals and assists for last season without checking each game individually. Anyway, I agree with you, he could probably do with being benched and Anya or Weimann getting a chance, but I don't agree with the earlier posts suggesting he has no end product or it's time to move him on. 

6 hours ago, JG400 said:

I think the reason that he isn't dropped is because his defensive duties , he has (or appears to have) a bit more bite about him when defending than Weimann , and people tell me Anya can't play in a 4-3-3 , I genuinely don't know on that one

I do how ever think thay Russell's contribution is the weak point in a currently very good side so I would be happy to see Weimann get his chance , though I wasn't suprised to see him not get his chance for Norwich as that was always going to be a tight game , though Wigan / Forest might be a good oppotunity

Perhaps Mac is waiting to get Camara fit ?

Good point on Camara. McClaren said in his press conference that he has been very impressed with Camara in the training sessions he has seen of him and that he offers something completely different to the side

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Good point on Camara. McClaren said in his press conference that he has been very impressed with Camara in the training sessions he has seen of him and that he offers something completely different to the side

Ate you sure he didn't say I'm very impressed by the cameras Mel has installed, they give me a completely different view of the side?

12 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Well I'm fairly sure that isn't true, but I'm not sure where we could even check both goals and assists for last season without checking each game individually. Anyway, I agree with you, he could probably do with being benched and Anya or Weimann getting a chance, but I don't agree with the earlier posts suggesting he has no end product or it's time to move him on. 

I totally see where your coming from as I agree that he's been a decent Derby player and has given his all but I just feel he's only getting worse and it's time someone else gets a fair chance, yes you never swap a winning side but he's not helping this side, so I'd drop him for Wigan but I don't think mcclaren will.

12 hours ago, Steve How Hard!!! said:

I think the one thing that is being over looked here is that JR actually started the move that led to yesterdays goal. Admittedly he ain't in the best of form but credit where credits due I say.

Don't think you can say started the move, I'd say that was Johnson for giving it Hughes in space to run on into.

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Isn't this just a repeat of last weeks Russell thread?

We have more than one JR song, so why not more than one thread?

In recent games, I think the biggest issue with Russell is his positioning: He's playing too deep and too centrally.

When we look to break, he isn't anywhere near high enough up the pitch. Is this tactical? I thought it had to be, until I heard McClaren shout: "Johnny! push on!", which makes me think McClaren wants him to play higher up the pitch.

Russell's defensive work is a true asset coming from a wide man, but currently, its having an adverse affect on his offensive game, and that's the most important part of his game. 

1 hour ago, mumblemumble said:

Don't think you can say started the move, I'd say that was Johnson for giving it Hughes in space to run on into.

Erm Russell passed the ball to Johnson. 

Doh. 

Archived