Johnny Russell

G STAR RAM

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, eddie said:

Where's Leslie Crowther and Anglian TV when you need them?

"This week, on The Scapegoat is Shyte  - Johnny Russell, COME ON DOWN"

Well done sir , this thread could go round in circles for weeks. labeling is a great way of shutting down debate. 

31 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

For me, on form, Russell would be one of the first names on the team sheet. Unfortunately it's been a good while since he's been on his mettle and if we have a viable replacement (Weimann / Anya?) then McClaren wouldn't be doing his job for the benefit of the other 10 selected players to persevere with him.

Sorry that makes no sense, you would pick him on form, but it's been ages since he showed any?

Russel was deffo the weak link yesterday, a fans fave for sure, but it's lost on me???

Give Wieman or Anya a chance against Wigan IMO.

3 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Sorry that makes no sense, you would pick him on form, but it's been ages since he showed any?

Russel was deffo the weak link yesterday, a fans fave for sure, but it's lost on me???

Give Wieman or Anya a chance against Wigan IMO.

What exactly doesn't make sense? He's a good player who is currently out of form so I wouldn't select him and wouldn't  have for the last 3 - 4 games.

14 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

But you initially said the opposite?

Please explain? I said on form I would pick him but he's not been on form so I wouldn't persevere with him. You seem to miss the 3rd & 4th words of my opening paragraph which are the most important in the context of my comments.

This thread encapsulates our fans in a nutshell. 

Someone raising a valid discussion point regarding the current form of one of our players.....not slagging him off........and some chirp in with the response that he's being used as a scapegoat, or people are looking at something to moan about.

Others reply in a balanced way.

Welcome to the world of a football forum. 

Player ratings yesterday would have been lucky to give Russell a 5. 

I like Johnny, nothing to scapegoat as we won etc, however over the last few weeks and yesterday again Russell was very below par. Doesn't make him a bad player it makes him out of form. 

The point is does he need dropping. 

I'd say yes, something isn't right and he's not the same player. It usually does him good and I'm sure if you asked him he'd say it himself. 

Assessing a player and having an opinion is what this place is about, disagree by all means, but give me a balanced response to the points I make rather than chirping in with the 'scapegoat' line. 

He looks like he's blowing out his arse most of the time, he hides from the ball, his touch is currrenty poor and his passing just as wayward.

Yes, he still runs around a bit and looks busy, but is making our forward play unbalanced. The threat is Bent & Ince, it should be a front 3 but currently we are playing with a front 2 1/4. 

So id drop him for Wigan and possibly longer until he regains whatever it is he's lacking at the moment. 

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Thank you.

Couldn't find anything about distance covered but from his head map looks like he set up camp on the halfway line.

He's probably been told to help out Lowe a bit more due to his inexperience whereas Ince has had Christie or Baird behind him. Comparing it to the game he started for McClaren against Huddersfield when Olsson was behind him:

Norwich (home)                                                          

58f175dce1eeaf0e65e9f308934f8a81.png      

Huddersfield (away)

39875131728b4e49080336124df58bc1.png

Looks to me like since Lowe has come in, Russell has had to play more defensively. Who knows, that could be the reason he's looking a little bit tired as the game progresses. 

19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Please explain? I said on form I would pick him but he's not been on form so I wouldn't persevere with him. You seem to miss the 3rd & 4th words of my opening paragraph which are the most important in the context of my comments.

You missed the word past, as in on past form I would have picked him. But whatever, it's a misunderstanding by one or both of us

6 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

You saying 'end of' doesn't make your opinion a fact. Last season he contributed to exactly the same number of goals as Ince in less game time. Just because he's had a slow start this season (as has half the team) doesn't mean it's time to give up on him. 

He's had 4 average season he has no end product at all 4 years worth of chances think it is time to move him on 

Russell's alright, but it's a matter of time before Camara shakes off his never ending injuries and replaces him.

I fancy he'll prove all the managers who haven't picked him, on the rare occasions he has been fit, total ****** for not seeing the obvious talent he's shown in a cup game vs Hartlepool and a few 10 minute headless chicken impressions over the last year.

It's time for Johnny to make way for the younger man, even though Razza is older, with far less apps and goals in his professional career.

3 minutes ago, TopRam said:

He's had 4 average season he has no end product at all 4 years worth of chances think it is time to move him on 

Last season only 12 players had a higher goal contribution in the Championship than Russell. And of those 12, only 3 weren't strikers (Forestieri, Judge and Ince). That would suggest his end product was just fine. Yes he's had a slow start to this season, but so has 90% of the team. You make it sound so easy just saying 'move him on' and assuming we can easily find a better winger who's available, willing to join us, doesn't cost tons and doesn't want massive wages.

12 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Russell's alright, but it's a matter of time before Camara shakes off his never ending injuries and replaces him.

I fancy he'll prove all the managers who haven't picked him, on the rare occasions he has been fit, total ****** for not seeing the obvious talent he's shown in a cup game vs Hartlepool and a few 10 minute headless chicken impressions over the last year.

It's time for Johnny to make way for the younger man, even though Razza is older, with far less apps and goals in his professional career.

I can't believe more Rons is blocked by the filter!:D

Archived