Johnny Russell

G STAR RAM

Realise this thread will make me unpopular with a lot and I know now is a time when we should be concentrating on the positives brought about by Return of The Mac but...

What on earth has happened to Russell?

No confidence to try and beat a man, 2 times he had his full back isolated and didn't attempt to beat him.

Beginning to look lazy, not making runs and just pointing at players instead of tracking back himself. I hope someone out there will find a stat which shows I am talking rubbish!

Also often seems to be breathing out of his ass...is there a fitness issue?

For me he is the week link at the moment and I am surprised that either Weimann or Anya are not getting more game time.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If ever a player needed a time out its Johnny Russell. We have more than capable replacements waiting for their chance on the bench. We all know hes more than capable of being a consistant first team player but at the moment be it injury or something else we do not know about he is not worthy of the shirt.

8 minutes ago, ostrichram said:

If ever a player needed a time out its Johnny Russell. We have more than capable replacements waiting for their chance on the bench. We all know hes more than capable of being a consistant first team player but at the moment be it injury or something else we do not know about he is not worthy of the shirt.

agreed  - should rest him at Wigan - and give one of the others a chance to find some magic.....before the game with the gumps

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The amount of times he pointed at an opponent yesterday who was in space rather than tracking back himself was numerous.

I saw every player on the pitch pointing during the game. Criticise his form and touch, but there was plenty of effort. I've been watching him closely in recent weeks, the one thing he isn't, is lazy.

He's not sharp, his anticipation seems to have deserted him and he's regularly caught on his heels when he should be on his toes. 

18 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Can't change a winning team for me. But sure Weimann and Anya are desperate and will get their chance 

Yes, actually agree with this.

Expect Weimann to be getting more than 10/15 minute cameos though if Russell continues as he is.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I saw every player on the pitch pointing during the game. Criticise his form and touch, but there was plenty of effort. I've been watching him closely in recent weeks, the one thing he isn't, is lazy.

He's not sharp, his anticipation seems to have deserted him and his regularly caught on his heels when he should be on his toes. 

I've been watching him closely (mainly to see if my overall view of him his harsh) and I think he is either lacking effort at times or is unfit.

Also think he is hiding from the ball alot. 

19 minutes ago, ostrichram said:

It puts my mind at ease a little knowing I'm not the only one who sees it like this!

Just hope he manages to turn it round. 

Just don't think he's been the same ever since he's been moved on to the left.

I've said it for ages! He's not good enough he's had His chances at Derby it's time for Weimann or ayna to get a proper chance, I just don't understand how he still gets picked, he is a passionate player yes but he's not good enough end of.

1 minute ago, TopRam said:

I've said it for ages! He's not good enough he's had His chances at Derby it's time for Weimann or ayna to get a proper chance, I just don't understand how he still gets picked, he is a passionate player yes but he's not good enough end of.

You saying 'end of' doesn't make your opinion a fact. Last season he contributed to exactly the same number of goals as Ince in less game time. Just because he's had a slow start this season (as has half the team) doesn't mean it's time to give up on him. 

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just don't think he's been the same ever since he's been moved on to the left.

I wonder if you've hit the nail on the head with that.  .. Is he just uncomfortable in the unfamiliar position ? One thing for sure he seemed to play in bursts yesterday and in between looked a bit lost or indecisive. His touch is off too. For me an ideal time to give Anya or Weiman a full game against Wigan so Johnny can get his head in gear. 

He's been like this since the end of the 2013/14 season. Whilst his stats suggest differently in terms of his goal/assist output, his overall play such as his dribbling has got significantly worse. I think it might be good for him to have a spell on the bench for a few weeks and give Anya/Weimann a chance.

12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He's been like this since the end of the 2013/14 season. Whilst his stats suggest differently in terms of his goal/assist output, his overall play such as his dribbling has got significantly worse. I think it might be good for him to have a spell on the bench for a few weeks and give Anya/Weimann a chance.

No he hasn't.

What he has been since then is an inconsistent Championship winger. He'll have runs of bad form where you wonder why he's in the Championship, and then he'll have runs of good form where you wonder why he's in the Championship.

He's on a bad run at the minute, and we've still managed to win 4 in a row. At least it keeps the heat off Ince, Johnson, Keogh, Baird, Bent or whoever is SOTM (Scapegoat of the Month).

Archived