William Hughes

Mafiabob

27 minutes ago, needles said:

Not with any credibility though Troy!

Bradley will be 30 in April. Same month, Will turns 22.

Yes, because it's time to retire at 30, obviously. Proven experience is nothing at the side of a 22 year old.

Will Hughes is a fantastic prospect, nothing more. There is an awful lot of work for the boy to do on his game. Not the messiah, not the chosen one as many of you believe. Nowhere near it.

I would far sooner keep him on, and hope to see him realise his potential, however, if he leaves? I'm not going to be panicking about it one bit.

No man is bigger than the club.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

You could also argue that BJ has got a team out this division twice & has PL experience. Will has done neither. 

37 minutes ago, needles said:

10 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

Yes, because it's time to retire at 30, obviously. Proven experience is nothing at the side of a 22 year old.

Will Hughes is a fantastic prospect, nothing more. There is an awful lot of work for the boy to do on his game. Not the messiah, not the chosen one as many of you believe. Nowhere near it.

I would far sooner keep him on, and hope to see him realise his potential, however, if he leaves? I'm not going to be panicking about it one bit.

No man is bigger than the club.

I'm not quite sure what you think I'm saying Daz. My point in response to Troy was simply that Bradley has had 8 more years professional football to gain his two promotions than Will has. 

1 minute ago, needles said:

I'm not quite sure what you think I'm saying Daz. My point in response to Troy was simply that Bradley has had 8 more years professional football to gain his two promotions than Will has. 

I may have slightly misinterpreted you there Needles.

Nonetheless, Johnson's promotions have been won on merit, as part of a couple of good teams, he has proven a thoroughly influential presence, as a younger man than he is now by the way!

Your point is a fair one, however, Hughes has been involved now for long enough, no longer is he a kid. 
It is now time to turn potential into consistent, galvanising, winning football, if he is this 'chosen one' ... then lets see it in the form of a championship/playoff trophy.

If you're good enough, you're old enough. 

15 minutes ago, Daz_The_Ram said:

I may have slightly misinterpreted you there Needles.

Nonetheless, Johnson's promotions have been won on merit, as part of a couple of good teams, he has proven a thoroughly influential presence, as a younger man than he is now by the way!

Your point is a fair one, however, Hughes has been involved now for long enough, no longer is he a kid. 
It is now time to turn potential into consistent, galvanising, winning football, if he is this 'chosen one' ... then lets see it in the form of a championship/playoff trophy.

If you're good enough, you're old enough. 

Bottom line for me is that the Bradley we've seen when he first came here, and again since Mac returned, is a very good Championship midfielder. So is Will. Lets keep the pair of them if possible.

20 minutes ago, needles said:

Bottom line for me is that the Bradley we've seen when he first came here, and again since Mac returned, is a very good Championship midfielder. So is Will. Lets keep the pair of them if possible.

I can't say fairer than that. I rub one or two up the wrong way on here I feel for not lauding over Hughes quite as much ... but there is no one more than I who'd like to see Hughes fulfil it and become one of England's top players ... learning from those around him, is vitally important right now ... his days of being 'a kid' are long gone. he needs to grasp his role in the team with both mitts, and become the talisman that a lot of the fans think he is.

3 hours ago, needles said:

That's where the debate of potential vs experience comes in. What is more important? BJ should be in his prime now, with arguably 2 years left before he starts to wain.

Does anyone realistically expect Will to be here in 2 years? Nope. Therefore we are debating the experience of BJ in his prime, or the potential of Will (Which is purely money, as his potential in theory wouldn't be realised with us). 

Flip a coin. 

8 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

In fear of being unpopular, if Will wasn't English or home grown, I don't think everyone would think he is the magician they do. 

I like him but he has the ability, like on Saturday, to have a poor game. 

Doesn't score enough goals for me either. 

A very good player with the potential to be a very very good player, but not someone worth bankrupting the club for IMO. 

Get out.

Can't believe some of what I'm reading here! Hughes is worth far more than any player to our squad, if it meant keeping him I'd give him 80k a week, he's that good. He doesn't need goals in his game, the same way xavi and iniesta haven't, he's not the sort of player- but what he does do he's utterly brilliant at, he's an absolute joy to watch and I think many of you underestimate his current ability. He's now far more than just potential, he's IMO already easily premier quality and is our most important player- it's no coincidence that our upturn in fortunes started when he came through the academy. Replacing him would be nigh on impossible in this league, and selling him would be catastrophic 

I think he's too good for us and needs to now move to push on. I prrsonally think he'd have gone the other season if he wasnt injured. we either now need to get out of the division so he can play in the prem with us or he'll move on

obviously i dont want him to go but the sad truth is that if we dont go up this year i think he'll be gone in the summer. If we can go up this year, extend his contract & he has a good season with us in the prem then he'll be off for mega bucks.

we either let him go now or if we dont go up. Or go up, he proves it on the big stage and hr goes for john stones type money 

12 hours ago, G-Ram said:

I think he's too good for us and needs to now move to push on. I prrsonally think he'd have gone the other season if he wasnt injured. we either now need to get out of the division so he can play in the prem with us or he'll move on

obviously i dont want him to go but the sad truth is that if we dont go up this year i think he'll be gone in the summer. If we can go up this year, extend his contract & he has a good season with us in the prem then he'll be off for mega bucks.

we either let him go now or if we dont go up. Or go up, he proves it on the big stage and hr goes for john stones type money 

Pretty much all true and all in the balance, let's hope he drives us on.

On 30/11/2016 at 11:29, uttoxram75 said:

Just because someone cost a lot of money doesn't mean they should be paid more than a better player who came through the academy.

You could argue that to buy a player of Will's ability would have cost the club £12-£15m plus £30k a week wages. The fact that Mel authorised silly money on signings nowhere near as good should not affect what we pay Will.

There is not one player on the books who deserves to be paid more than him imo.

I agree entirely.

my question though is who is it that's responsible for putting players on these big contracts.

Mel as chairman and owner will have set a wage budget for the football experts at the club (the manager, the chief exec) to manage accordingly. so in my book it will have been Rush that has sat down and brokered the deals with the agents, which means it'll be he and he alone that has set the wages we have in place.

Mel won't be dealing with agents, mclaren won't be dealing with agents

its all on rush for me 

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

£15 mill would just be a starting point, would imagine he'd go for a bit more if more than one club comes sniffing 

I'd be surprised if anyone does a decent scouting report and finds him worth this much.

We all have a softer spot for him as he came through the academy and he is one of ours but I'm not sure he will carry the same influence in the Prem.

£15m and I'd be ecstatic.

Everyone has a price and £15M for Will is about right but why would we sell in January? His value wouldn't drop significantly between January and June. Our chances of promotion are much higher with him in the team and outway any potential loss in value.

I think Derby would won't to keep him as long as posible but, while I love watching him in a Derby shirt, he needs to test himself in a higher league next season.

7 minutes ago, Gladram said:

Everyone has a price and £15M for Will is about right but why would we sell in January? His value wouldn't drop significantly between January and June. Our chances of promotion are much higher with him in the team and outway any potential loss in value.

I think Derby would won't to keep him as long as posible but, while I love watching him in a Derby shirt, he needs to test himself in a higher league next season.

I'd agree it makes no sense in January, 4 more months and then if we're not Premier League, he should be.

Archived