William Hughes

Mafiabob

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/01/2017 at 13:41, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I have to agree with SJR here im afraid.

He needs to show a lot more than what he is doing this season. No question of his ability at all. When he is on it, he is the best player in the league. Easily. 

Fact is though this season he has had a lot more poor games than good games. The Birmingham home game he was very very good. Then the next gane against Wigan he was poor. A player of his ability should be getting games like that by the scruff of the neck and dominatong them. 

The assist against Wolves was out of this world. No other player in our side or probably the league would have seen that pass let alone attempt it. 

But as brilliant as it was that was in 1 game? What other assists/goals has he done this season? 

How many times you come out of a game this season and said "Hughes was brilliant" Ipswich at home, Wolves away, Birmingham at home. 2nd half v Forest. 

My point is. Is that he's a brilliant footballer. But he needs to add goals and assists to his game to be more effective. 

Thank you for understanding my point.

It's not that I don't rate him, far from it. But in order to be a complete player who'll be able to play in the Prem (and stand out) there's so much more he needs to be able to do.

But yes, I accept he is young, and I'm hoping he'll turn into the player we want him to be at Derby, if not elsewhere.

Some of you lots expectations of what it is to play in the Premier League are way off.

Jeff Hendrick was anonymous regularly, with the odd fantastic game for us and he's played well week-in-week-out in an obviously poor Burnley team in the Premier League. The amount of people who chortled at him making the step up was laughable, when Hendrick clearly had it in him.

Will is lightyears ahead of Jeff Hendrick in every possible way, and when he does go to the Premier League, he'll be playing in a better team than Burnley with better players and who are likely to have a lot of the ball.

This "complete player" narrative is pure guff.

I think a part of why Hughes is percieved to not do enough is actually down to his role in the system. The centre-mids are essentially given one channel in which they more or less stick too. So he's only really having an influence if play's down our right-hand side. His role under McClaren is to knit play together between himself, the right-back and the right-winger and if the game's scrappy or if the DM's marked collect the ball from the defence. 

He's been at his very best under Clough ("give the ball to Will and he'll take care of it") who had Hughes in the deep role running the show and Wassall who gave him complete freedom when in one of the two AM roles.

20 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think a part of why Hughes is percieved to not do enough is actually down to his role in the system.

I also think his ability to create space for other people is massively under-rated...

I wonder how many times he's been the one to supply the ball to the assister in acres of space... Or how many touches he has of the ball in the move that creates a goal... 

Just had a quick look at the goals against Forest... EPIC ball from Baird for the Ince goal but Hughes had played a nice little ball to give Baird the space... Took out 2 Forest players doing it...

43 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I also think his ability to create space for other people is massively under-rated...

I wonder how many times he's been the one to supply the ball to the assister in acres of space... Or how many touches he has of the ball in the move that creates a goal... 

Just had a quick look at the goals against Forest... EPIC ball from Baird for the Ince goal but Hughes had played a nice little ball to give Baird the space... Took out 2 Forest players doing it...

He has a fairly nice habit of assisting the assist.

He also tends to hold onto the ball on the inside right, sucking players towards him and the playing it out to our left hand side which by this point has men over. I'll never forget him holding the ball off of three players, rouletting past anither three and the switching it to the left. I'd have it on repeat if I could remember who it was against.

As a lot of others have said I think he could play premier league as he is easily more talented than a lot of the players there however whether he could play premier league for a team who would suit his style of football is a different matter. He needs to be in a team who play the ball through the middle of the park so wouldn't suit the up and at them sides as he needs a team with possession. Couldn't see him breaking into a top six side yet and I would hate to see him waste away at sides like Chelsea or City as they have proven to be the death knoll of many a young English prospects career. Maybe a team like Bournemouth might suit but will they pay us the money we require and would it be that much of a step up. Personally if he must go id like to see him ply his trade on the continent which in my opinion suits his style of play perfectly. For the time being though I'm delighted he's at derby 

It surprises me that will hughes can play stinkers , like he did against reading in the last match of 2014/15 and against Wigan this season. He's a better tackler since he filled out a bit, altho maybe too many fouls. But he really needs to find his shooting boots. 

6 hours ago, Srg said:

Some of you lots expectations of what it is to play in the Premier League are way off.

Jeff Hendrick was anonymous regularly, with the odd fantastic game for us and he's played well week-in-week-out in an obviously poor Burnley team in the Premier League. The amount of people who chortled at him making the step up was laughable, when Hendrick clearly had it in him.

Will is lightyears ahead of Jeff Hendrick in every possible way, and when he does go to the Premier League, he'll be playing in a better team than Burnley with better players and who are likely to have a lot of the ball.

This "complete player" narrative is pure guff.

I think the first thought that pops on people's heads when thinking about the Premiership is De Brunner, Alli, Ozil, Sanchez, Hazard, Coutinho.

That's not the Premier League! 

And I don't understand what people want from him. When he doesn't play you see what happens.

Which players dominate every game? Shine in every match? Who is a complete player? Who is always in form? Grealish? Lansbury?... Ramsey or Carrick?

Nobody does. 

All Hughes can do is do what he does now in this league in the Premier League. If he does that soon then the hype will be unreal. Nobody will be talking about how many goals he doesn't score or about how he didn't play well for 1 game in 10. Not until the expectation bar is raised again to a level of consistency Iniesta and Xavi have never reached! 

39 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It surprises me that will hughes can play stinkers , like he did against reading in the last match of 2014/15 and against Wigan this season. He's a better tackler since he filled out a bit, altho maybe too many fouls. But he really needs to find his shooting boots. 

One stinker a season - I'll take that.

25 minutes ago, eddie said:

One stinker a season - I'll take that.

Except he hardly played in 2015/16.

he needs to improve his consistency. Let's see how he does tomorrow with de sart. He's a cracking player tho don't get me wrong I am so pleased he's signed a new contract with us.

13 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Except he hardly played in 2015/16.

he needs to improve his consistency. Let's see how he does tomorrow with de sart. He's a cracking player tho don't get me wrong I am so pleased he's signed a new contract with us.

When he did come back from his injury his form was exceptional considering the long layoff he had had.

I do still think to see Hughes at his best you need a really good defensive midfielder, that period towards the end of 13/14 when both hughes and thorne were match fit was fantastic, we havent really had them both fully match fit playing together since.

21 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

When he did come back from his injury his form was exceptional considering the long layoff he had had.

I do still think to see Hughes at his best you need a really good defensive midfielder, that period towards the end of 13/14 when both hughes and thorne were match fit was fantastic, we havent really had them both fully match fit playing together since.

They have started 11 games together since Thorne signed on loan.

13/14 Season (plus 4 appearances where one has come off the bench)

CHAMPIONSHIP Tu 08 Apr 2014 Blackpool 1 - 3 Derby W

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 12 Apr 2014 Derby 3 - 1 Huddersfield W

CHAMPIONSHIP Fr 18 Apr 2014 Doncaster 0 - 2 Derby W

CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFF Su 11 May 2014 Derby 4 - 1 Brighton W

CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFF Sa 24 May 2014 Derby 0 - 1 QPR L

14/15 Season (0 sub appearances)

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 21 Feb 2015 Derby 3 - 2 Sheff Wed W

CHAMPIONSHIP Tu 24 Feb 2015 Derby 2 - 0 Charlton W

CHAMPIONSHIP Fr 03 Apr 2015 Derby  2 - 2 Watford D

15/16 Season (plus 2 where 1 came on as sub)

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 08 Aug 2015 Bolton 0 - 0 Derby D

CHAMPIONSHIP Mo 02 May 2016 Brighton 1 - 1 Derby D

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 07 May 2016 Derby 0 - 1 Ipswich L

:(

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

They have started 11 games together since Thorne signed on loan.

13/14 Season (plus 4 appearances where one has come off the bench)

CHAMPIONSHIP Tu 08 Apr 2014 Blackpool 1 - 3 Derby W

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 12 Apr 2014 Derby 3 - 1 Huddersfield W

CHAMPIONSHIP Fr 18 Apr 2014 Doncaster 0 - 2 Derby W

CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFF Su 11 May 2014 Derby 4 - 1 Brighton W

CHAMPIONSHIP PLAY-OFF Sa 24 May 2014 Derby 0 - 1 QPR L

14/15 Season (0 sub appearances)

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 21 Feb 2015 Derby 3 - 2 Sheff Wed W

CHAMPIONSHIP Tu 24 Feb 2015 Derby 2 - 0 Charlton W

CHAMPIONSHIP Fr 03 Apr 2015 Derby  2 - 2 Watford D

15/16 Season (plus 2 where 1 came on as sub)

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 08 Aug 2015 Bolton 0 - 0 Derby D

CHAMPIONSHIP Mo 02 May 2016 Brighton 1 - 1 Derby D

CHAMPIONSHIP Sa 07 May 2016 Derby 0 - 1 Ipswich L

:(

Is that all? Its not a bad record though.

The sad one is the last one...I am still gutted about that for Thorne, was the worst I have ever felt at a football match.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Is that all? Its not a bad record though.

The sad one is the last one...I am still gutted about that for Thorne, was the worst I have ever felt at a football match.

2 of their last 3 matches one of them has gone off with a serious injury, ironically the first and last league game of the season.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

2 of their last 3 matches one of them has gone off with a serious injury, ironically the first and last league game of the season.

Gutting really.

Archived