Real Ale Drinkers

Day

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like real ale but people like this piss me off. You've got to be in the mood for ale, because firstly you cannot drink it all night. Best case scenario you'll spend all night distributing the foulest smelling farts you've ever known. Worst case you'll actually **** yourself. Secondly I can't drink ale when I'm eating food. Detracts from the taste of the food.

I tend to drink lager or cider normally, and when others are getting ale I'll get some comment about how San Miguel tastes of water and that a pint of Barry's Blue Ballsack has a much more hoppy flavour to it. I like ale, I just don't always want to drink it.

Even worse are the posers who drink Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin. Ale for people who don't like ale. You just want to look like you drink ale because you're a hipster.

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

I do like real ale but people like this piss me off. You've got to be in the mood for ale, because firstly you cannot drink it all night. Best case scenario you'll spend all night distributing the foulest smelling farts you've ever known. Worst case you'll actually **** yourself. Secondly I can't drink ale when I'm eating food. Detracts from the taste of the food.

I tend to drink lager or cider normally, and when others are getting ale I'll get some comment about how San Miguel tastes of water and that a pint of Barry's Blue Ballsack has a much more hoppy flavour to it. I like ale, I just don't always want to drink it.

Even worse are the posers who drink Old Speckled Hen or Hobgoblin. Ale for people who don't like ale. You just want to look like you drink ale because you're a hipster.

Ha, agree mostly but quite like hobgoblin, don't care about looking like I'm drinking ale..just enjoy it.

Now if you had said john smiths smooth I might have agreed 

3 hours ago, Tombo said:

If you papper your breeches how much are you drinking?

3 hours ago, Tombo said:

Quite funny but as a real ale fan I find now days I don't go from pub to pub trying to sink gallons of fizzy pop. I'd rather find a good couple of real ale pubs sit down and have about 4 pints of good strong hearty beer and retire.

Once upon a time I drank lager because you knew what you were going to get in every pub. Mind you I've had a few bad pints of lager in my time.

54 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Ha, agree mostly but quite like hobgoblin, don't care about looking like I'm drinking ale..just enjoy it.

Now if you had said john smiths smooth I might have agreed 

John Smiths another offender. You can't possibly drink that and enjoy it, it's got to just be for show surely?

Although I always say of real ale, there's an ale out there for everyone, you just need to find it. There's good blonde light ales out there that I think could be the answer to bringing an end to the Lager vs Ale hostilities. Peace between beerlovers! End the civil war!

36 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Quite funny but as a real ale fan I find now days I don't go from pub to pub trying to sink gallons of fizzy pop. I'd rather find a good couple of real ale pubs sit down and have about 4 pints of good strong hearty beer and retire.

Once upon a time I drank lager because you knew what you were going to get in every pub. Mind you I've had a few bad pints of lager in my time.

That is precisely the reason that CAMRA was formed - to encourage diversity and the smashing of monopolies.

The megabreweries in the 1970s embarked upon a programme of trying to 'standardise' keg beers with awful muck like Whitbread Tankard, Double Diamond, Watneys Red Barrel and Worthington E. They really did all taste the same, as did the awful lagers of the time (Skol, Harp, Carling Black Label and the Anglicised versions of Heineken and Carlsberg), and this was quite deliberate. The theory was, you could go into a pub anywhere in the country and drink the beer you 'enjoyed' in your local. Small local breweries were enthusiastically bought out by the big boys - and then closed down, because they wanted the 'tied houses'.

Diversity is a good thing, and it's one of the reasons why I refuse to be drawn into the "Ale v Lager" tripe. They are both distinct types of beer based upon whether they are brewed with top-fermenting or bottom-fermenting yeast, but there are plenty of brews that fit somewhere in between, neither one nor the other, like Helles or Kolsch.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, froggg said:

What the ram head bottle opener?

http://www.malhamsmithyonline.co.uk/hotforge.html

available from here folks great present for any beer slurping rams fan ????

the rams head kebab skewers at the bottom of the page look the dogs cahones as well.

http://www.malhamsmithyonline.co.uk/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://www.malhamsmithyonline.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Products/rh_kebab_01.jpg&target=tlx_pic3bd7

Archived