Ex Derby & Norwich players

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Blades used to live down my street in Mickleover and his kids went to my school. I bet he wasn't earning £30k a week back then. My dad certainly wasn't. Shows how things have changed. 

Having said that, I very nearly rented a house recently that had just been vacated by an ex premier league footballer. It was a fairly ordinary house in Hilton, sonim not really sure what footballers do wit all this money. I said ex though. He'd played for stoke and then Sheffield united. Can't remember his name now. 

55 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I thought he was great for you?

He won the POTS in the worst Norwich team I've ever seen and any other human under the age of 60 at the time would have ever seen, and was won purely on the basis that he would break sweat in a game unlike the various other assorted wasters and journeymen we had assembled at the time. 

The fact that he was about 2 stone heavier than he should have been was the probable cause of the moisture exuded from his pores rather than any sort of strenuous effort, but that was enough to win him that award in that particular season.

I think he was here for 3 seasons, the first 2 spent trying to get fit enough to complete 90 minutes. 

Or to be a little bit kinder he was one of only a few players we had who could look at themselves in the mirror and call themselves a professional footballer in a season in which we went down to the third tier for the first time since the 1960's, but was clearly not a natural athlete and lacked end product despite being prepared to put in a shift.

Put in enough effort that season and showed that he cared enough to gain our respect when most others had given up prematurely, but we all knew he wasn't the player that Nigel Clough made him out to be when he unveiled him at a press conference. One of the things that Clough said was that he was an excellent crosser of the ball. Norwich fans knew that this is precisely the bit that he'd mess up 9 times out of 10, he'd do the hard work and produce nothing. Hence why I was surprised he got a Championship club that season, he was probably a decent League 1 player who should have been coming down a level with us that year and I suspect if he had then Lambert would have ditched him once we'd returned to this league. 

But there were probably only 3 players who gave a **** about our situation at the club that season, the rest were a bunch of spineless cowards, he didn't have much competition when it came to picking a POTS. 

4 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Cheers for all that NL.  Just shows that Derby's strange (probably accidental) approach of buying other teams' Players of the Year is misconceived.

I can clearly remember seeing Nigel Clough talk about his signing at a press conference, precisely because it was clear that Nigel Clough himself hadn't watched him play much (or at all) :lol: 

He had a profile which was higher than his level of ability because he played quite a few games for Man City, but he has played most of his career at League 1 and I think he found his level. 

Derby delayed that by a couple of years, when he should probably have 'found it' by going down with us. But I still have a bit of respect for him because of the way he didn't quit that season, couldn't say the say for many of his teammates. 

Now we know why We thought we signed a belter in Croft! Norwich fans voted him POTS in hope some unsuspecting club would snap him up and laud him the best free transfer of the summer! He was awful! And I  remember being really excited by the signing!!

If I could pick any Norwich player in history for the Rams I'd say Chris Sutton.

15 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Now we know why We thought we signed a belter in Croft! Norwich fans voted him POTS in hope some unsuspecting club would snap him up and laud him the best free transfer of the summer! He was awful! And I  remember being really excited by the signing!!

If I could pick any Norwich player in history for the Rams I'd say Chris Sutton.

That's a good shout, my choice was Townsend but they have had some decent players down the years, Dave Watson, Steve Bruce, Ian Culverhouse, Ruel Fox, Chris Sutton & Dion Dublin would have all helped us at various times through the years.

Archived