Ex Derby & Norwich players

Bridgford Ram

I am not sure if this has been done before but I wondered if it would be a good idea to have a thread in the lead up to each game talking about ex-players of our opponents.  They'll be a mix of current players and older players bringing back memories.  It'd be great if we can build up a list, commenting on the players who played for us an our opponents of that week.

The first one that springs to mind for me is Paul Blades - Started his career with us, played in 3 divisions for us making over 150 appearances at RB or CB.  I always preferred him at CB with Mark Wright but this was because I was always a bigger fan of Mel Sage than Rob Hindmarch.  He was transferred to Norwich in 1990 for £700k, which must have been a big amount bearing in mind Man Utd signed Denis Irwin for about £600k around this time.

Off the top of my head other players for both clubs include Spencer Prior, Bradley Johnson, Rob Earnshaw, Patrick Bamford, Mo Camara & Ashley Ward.

Also, if you could have picked any Norwich player from any time for Derby to sign and slot into the Derby team of that time who would you go for?  I'd probably go for Andy Townsend (around 88/90 time) to slot in the midfield next to Geriant Williams.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly off-topic, but I was trying to think of some good ex-Norwich players and I remembered this gem/car crash of an interview when Darren "the English legend" Huckerby went over to the MLS. 

So many glorious moments in that interview I don't know where to begin. 

21 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Slightly off-topic, but I was trying to think of some good ex-Norwich players and I remembered this gem/car crash of an interview when Darren "the English legend" Huckerby went over to the MLS. 

That is quite simply the best thing I have seen today

48 minutes ago, philmycock said:

He was nasty against us I recall, for Villa I think, a thug, wasn't it when Dean Yates got injured?

Can't recall chap...hell of a player Yates. Unlucky with injuries.

Was it Dwight Yorke that did him?

50 minutes ago, cosmic said:

It's kind of "Unbelievable Jeff".

That dolt rivals the interviewer that asked Brendan Rogers yesterday about whether he believed in the Loch Ness monster or Lionel Messi, almost.

41 minutes ago, needles said:

Can't recall chap...hell of a player Yates. Unlucky with injuries.

Was it Dwight Yorke that did him?

Didn't Dwight high five Collymore when he ended Yates career? Recall Townsend being a cock and maybe sent off, might not have been that match

21 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Didn't Dwight high five Collymore when he ended Yates career? Recall Townsend being a cock and maybe sent off, might not have been that match

He did I think. No Townsend in that game though. Here you go...some good players in that side, and harshly done by on the day.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-smith-left-ruing-absentees-as-yorke-turns-up-on-time-1143743.html

19 minutes ago, needles said:

He did I think. No Townsend in that game though. Here you go...some good players in that side, and harshly done by on the day.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-smith-left-ruing-absentees-as-yorke-turns-up-on-time-1143743.html

Yep, it was against Boro when Townsend was naughty...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1998/dec/28/match.sport2

Archived