Could football be like boxing?

PistoldPete2

I don't mean players punching each other. I mean could we have alternative associations and cups like boxing has ? After FIFAs bribing scandals and the bizarre banning of poppies and remembrance ceremonies there seems to be a polarisation between FIFA and the UK. 

Could we we bring football home as baddiel and skinner predicted, but in a different way by starting our own international tournaments and bypass FIFA a altogether. It doesn't seem as radical or crazy idea to me as Brexit was. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I often wondered how it'd be like if a rival English league was set up with each of the major cities having a team and then follow the US model (drafting / wage caps etc) to keep everything competitive.

No I mean international tournaments organised by the Fa .. An alternative World Cup. 

Fifa seem to be on collision course with the U.K. What with the way England was humiliated in the World Cup auction and now the way Fifa is even seeking to ban individuals from showing respect for the deceased. It does seem that Fifa is rotten to the core.

I know what you are getting at.

Without question its so much better to just have 1 prize (the world cup) then a few. Also due to the season being so long players will struggle to compete at more then one tournament.

It is frustrating have up to 4 champions at each boxing weight, there should just be one! We don't want football to go in that direction.

FIFA is rotten and the best case scenario would be for everyone to abandon their tournaments and re-create a brand new one ran by a squeaky clean organisation but unfortunately that's not going to happen. Our only hope is the FBI keep sniffing around FIFA forcing them to clean up their corrupt employees.

How about the FA start by bring back the home internationals, committing to developing young talent and proving that they can runs things properly first.

Then I'm all for an alternative World Cup where we can go off to a local ground to watch the worlds best :-)

Archived