Genetic testing

froggg

21 hours ago, jono said:

I'd love to have it done. Apparently there only 5 or 6 main genetic threads linked to your geographic roots. Being a total romantic (but pretty basic looking short arsed Anglo Saxon)  I want to find some Viking, Roman Celt  or something in there. Love ancient history. 

there was a brilliant TV prog a few years back. They had a woman from Hull who was basically a Yorkshire First 100% Brit who claimed to trace her ancestry back to 1700 and something and swore she was hewn out of pure Yorkshire grit stone. Turned out she was 35% eastern asiatic European ( Turkish to you and me ) She was almost speechless and then rather embarrassed when she admitted on holiday Turks always stared talking to her in Turkish because she looked "native"

Then Norman Tebbit ... And they broke the news to him and said Norman .. You have the most boring north european DNA ever .. You family has never got on its bike in 2000 years ... LOL 

Currently researching prices and services offered, I'm going to get it done and will reveal all when results are back.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 13:27, StivePesley said:

Or in Prince Hary's case, looking in a mirror and then looking at a picture of James Hewitt :lol:

I properly laughed out loud. Quality. 

Yep..and you're telling me with all their money etc that they need to wait till they get on Jeremy Kyle before they can test for sure??

3 minutes ago, Ramkesian said:

I have never been tempted to try but my ex wife did, with very interesting results.

They found she was half German and the other half was Shepard.

Nobody in their right mind will be tested for fear of dscovering that they are half fan.

40 minutes ago, froggg said:

Currently researching prices and services offered, I'm going to get it done and will reveal all when results are back.

Thanks Frogg . I would be very interested but it needs to be anonymous .. I don't want them linking me to that jewel heist 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22 November 2016 at 05:44, froggg said:

Anyone curious enough about their ancestry  to have done a test? If so did it reveal any surprises?

My mother loves researching ancestry, etc. From memory, she's retraced our (my) ancestry to the late 18th century on the maternal side and somewhat further on the paternal side.

Unfortunately, she's revealed only that I am descended - on both sides - from a long line of insignificant and undistinguished cowards as far as I can tell. My most notable descendant was the bloke who looked after Queen Victoria's Shetland ponies until they all died; his stewardship was unsuccessful obviously. He was gifted a jewellery box crafted from one of their hooves as thanks before he was released from her service. It's long lost somewhere in England...so, if anyone happens to find a tiny, mouldy horse hoof with cheap jewellery in it...please let me know.

I had the test done a few years ago (it's more revealing if males have it done) as she wanted it. You're right that the more expensive tests now produce quite detailed results. Mine had no real surprises; English, Scottish, northern European, middle Eastern and North American (don't ask me how they can distinguish North American genes from European genes; I have no idea) from what I vaguely recall.

Now you've reminded me: I really should get her to send it to me. 

On 23/11/2016 at 18:53, Chester40 said:

I properly laughed out loud. Quality. 

Yep..and you're telling me with all their money etc that they need to wait till they get on Jeremy Kyle before they can test for sure??

First thing Jezza would ask is why they think it's fine to not have a job and live on taxpayer money. Same as he does to all the unemployed folk on there.

Archived