Tom Ince

RiddingsRam

50 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Oh and apparently he doesn't track back.. Okayyyyyyy.  :whistle:

I've never understood this criticism of him. He does track back and he works very hard. A better comment might be that he is a bit of a liability when he tracks back, but I think even that's unfair.

What was noticeable today was not just how involved he was, but how he was even winning and directing headers in midfield. I don't think I've seen him get near a header in previous games but he won several today.

Great performance. Long may it continue. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He does track back but he is very lightweight in the tackle and commits too many fouls as he is so clumsy defensively.

Having said that, it clearly is not his strength and never will be so we will have to work around it.

My main criticism of him (and I prefer criticising after a good game to avoid bandwagon jumping and scapegoating) is that he is a player who exploits space well but cannot do it against a well organised defence. He struggles to take a player on unless we are on the counter in acres of space. It will be interesting to see how he copes without Christie behind him as he was the one doing the dribbling. It worked against Rotherham but they were awful.

Tom Ince has never had a bad game, has never deserved the criticism he's received, has never cost us goals with his poor defending when he has tracked back  Is that what posters in this thread are trying to say? Cos its cobblers.

He's on a good run at the moment because MacClaren is playing him in the right position and giving him freedom, but he has been inconsistent. Take a long hard look at his performances last season.

17 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Tom Ince has never had a bad game, has never deserved the criticism he's received, has never cost us goals with his poor defending when he has tracked back  Is that what posters in this thread are trying to say? Cos its cobblers.

He's on a good run at the moment because MacClaren is playing him in the right position and giving him freedom, but he has been inconsistent. Take a long hard look at his performances last season.

Second highest goal scorer behind Martin...... I could name at least a couple who play in similar positions than he did last season who were and still are a damn sight more inconsistent than him. 

10 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Whenever he is one on one with the keeper or has a defender on his heels he often seems lost. Needs to get out of his head and trust in himself more. Because in these moments the opposition are terrified

Spot on analysis...

12 hours ago, Uptherams said:

His biggest obstacle is himself. Whenever he is one on one with the keeper or has a defender on his heels he often seems lost. Needs to get out of his head and trust in himself more. Because in these moments the opposition are terrified. It's a shame he missed two pens. Despite how well he played that can really knock a player, especially one who is beset by indecision. He will be going over them in his head. 

That is a really good point. Did anyone else see his reaction when he got the ball for his 2nd goal ?  Brilliant bullet header from Johnson .. Took the ball did everything right and then looked back to see if the ref was going to whistle for off side. ? Luckily he had loads of time and room but he lost milliseconds . You could see him thinking "can I really be so well placed" .. Yes you can Tom, you got in to the position and your teammate provided, believe in yourself,  Crack on Tom .. You can't influence what the ref is going to do. 

17 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I've noticed lately threads popping up on various Rams players that have been catching the eye.  So I thought I would follow suit and start one on Tom Ince , probably the most under appreciated player from a fan's point of view in our squad . 

He was immense today , absoloute class , ran the show . His natural ability is something else.  Yet sometimes I feel that whatever he does , it's never quite enough for some fans . 

If his head is in the right place and he's got a great  big Steve McClaren size arm around him , we've got ourselves one of the leagues best players . 

I have, like a few others, been critical of Ince. He was starting to look like a player living on reputation. Something has changed significantly and he is again looking like a top quality championship player. 

I like Tom, always have. But they were 2 rubbish penalties. The second was awful. 

He's coming back into his groove now, playing the RW role he lives under Mac. Drifted inside a lot more yesterday I noticed, at times almost playing the CF role pushing Vydra out wide

3 hours ago, europia said:

I have, like a few others, been critical of Ince. He was starting to look like a player living on reputation. Something has changed significantly and he is again looking like a top quality championship player. 

I would say the difference is being told to go out and enjoy the match, do what you can to win, and, I think most importantly, don't be afraid of making mistakes.

Ince is a very talented player at championship level.  But he is very inconsistent and probably he always will be. As fans maybe we shouldn't go overboard with our praise when he is playing well and we shouldn't be too harsh on him when he is playing badly.  Undoubtedly a McClaren team is more suited to his style than a Pearson team, so hopefully we'll see more ups than downs for the rest of the season. But I hope McClaren won't be slow to bench him for a while, when he is bang out of form again. 

10 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Ince is a very talented player at championship level.  But he is very inconsistent and probably he always will be. As fans maybe we shouldn't go overboard with our praise when he is playing well and we shouldn't be too harsh on him when he is playing badly.  Undoubtedly a McClaren team is more suited to his style than a Pearson team, so hopefully we'll see more ups than downs for the rest of the season. But I hope McClaren won't be slow to bench him for a while, when he is bang out of form again. 

Hmmm. I see it bit differently.

He is inconsistent with Martin, but has always been class with maestro Bent who makes Ince twice the player.

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

He is inconsistent with Martin, but has always been class with maestro Bent who makes Ince twice the player.

Maybe, he wouldn't be the first player to play better alongside some players instead of others. They may well just suit one another, however I'd still back him for a lean/sulky spell even alongside Bent.  Would be glad to be proven wrong on that. 

11 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Agreed, always seems to me that him and bent have a great partnership together, Ince and Martin seem to clash a bit since martin likes to come deep, but with bent playing Ince always have someone in the box as well as someone to drag defenders out of position and give him room to do his magic. One of the best wingers in the division imo, and by far the most consistent in our squad- no matter how little an impact he may have had on a game so far, you always feel he could pull a goal out the bag, it's this that makes him such a valuable player to any team. Hopefully he keeps up this form, and I believe he can, he's had very few even average games under mcclaren, why should that change now?!

• 3 weeks later...

For how much he has contributed in the last few games in regards of goals and assists, I think it's only right that he gets a much better song than he already has. In no means am I slating the song and who created it, but it's just not got the edge that the other songs do (i.e Russell's running down the wing song). 

I could only come up with

Thomas Ince, Ince, Ince he is hotter than strong mints? ( in terms of goals not looks :D)

This was just me being bored watching Saara Alto on X factor 

hopefully somebody else will have a better song in mind :p 

21 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

For how much he has contributed in the last few games in regards of goals and assists, I think it's only right that he gets a much better song than he already has. In no means am I slating the song and who created it, but it's just not got the edge that the other songs do (i.e Russell's running down the wing song). 

I could only come up with

Thomas Ince, Ince, Ince he is hotter than strong mints? ( in terms of goals not looks :D)

This was just me being bored watching Saara Alto on X factor 

hopefully somebody else will have a better song in mind :p 

I think we'll stick to what we already have :whistle:

Archived