Cryogenics

Sith Happens

The story of the 14 year old girl has got me thinking more about this, would i consider it? I dont know.

Its a nice idea, being woken up in say 300 years cured of our ailments, you never know old age might even be cured but how would you fit in? Imagine someone from the 17th century suddenly trying to live a normal life amongst us today (ok he could perhaps fit in in nottingham :) ), but seriously what sort of life could it be?

Also imagine if you were one of those woken, what rights would you have? I dare bet they arent going to just wake you and let you loose, they would surely want to be carrying out loads of medical tests on these people. What sort of job could you hold down? that RSA in Word and Excel wont be much use in 300 years time.

I just cant see any positive outcome, unless its some sort of star trek style utopia in the future.

It is the stuff of science fiction for me. I dare bet we will be able to freeze people and wake them at some point, but i bet the technologies to freeze them is the key, not those to wake them up.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Good points.. When you go, ya go. Not sure I would want to come back.

Madagascar might be a super power. We will be ruled by Penguins.

I like penguins, they make me laugh.

I think the principle of this is all so wrong. With scarce resources on an overcrowded planet, shouldn't we be spending that money on the people who are here now?

How long do we power the electricity for? What happens when there's no-one left alive to pay the bills? Or even care about that person frozen? 

I think that this case has caught the imagination because it's a young girl whose life will be cut tragically short because of illness. But do we spare such sympathy for the kids in Syria whose life is being ended by the stupid actions of men?

And we just know that most of the people entering cryogenics will be rich businessmen who can afford to pay for it. 

You're right about the legal implications too. Who is getting rich now off all this? The lawyers.

A big no from me. Life is cruel. Get over it and try and do something while you're here to make it better. 

30 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think the principle of this is all so wrong. With scarce resources on an overcrowded planet, shouldn't we be spending that money on the people who are here now?

How long do we power the electricity for? What happens when there's no-one left alive to pay the bills? Or even care about that person frozen? 

I think that this case has caught the imagination because it's a young girl whose life will be cut tragically short because of illness. But do we spare such sympathy for the kids in Syria whose life is being ended by the stupid actions of men?

And we just know that most of the people entering cryogenics will be rich businessmen who can afford to pay for it. 

You're right about the legal implications too. Who is getting rich now off all this? The lawyers.

A big no from me. Life is cruel. Get over it and try and do something while you're here to make it better. 

You are right about the girl, its very sad when someone so young is desperate to extend life, you cant even imagine how that must feel. And no you are probably right the same sympathy isnt extended to kids in syria when maybe it should be.

6 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Earlier in the week I was in an all day finance meeting.

At 6pm I felt like I HAD been woken up after 300 years.

One of the few really good things about being deaf is that I no longer even bother attending any meetings. The rest of my colleagues do and in the process they sort out the world and send me a summary of what they have decided. After I have absorbed their collective wisdom, I invariably send them an email demonstrating where an early assumption which led them to their group conclusion was erroneous and/or impractical, so they call another meeting.

It's a living.

They need to find a way of downloading all the brains contents (mind, personality etc) and keeping it in electronic format. Then place it into a new "empty" brain grown in a lab. Cryogenics will not be needed then. Don't forget man thought he would die if he travelled over 30mph (or close to that figure) in the 19th Century.

You can tell I watch a lot of sci-fi!

16 minutes ago, TimRam said:

They need to find a way of downloading all the brains contents (mind, personality etc) and keeping it in electronic format. Then place it into a new "empty" brain grown in a lab. Cryogenics will not be needed then. Don't forget man thought he would die if he travelled over 30mph (or close to that figure) in the 19th Century.

You can tell I watch a lot of sci-fi!

Women and grandads still do :ph34r:

Sorry, saddo doing sexist and ageist joke.

27 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Can you point me in the direction of the far right thread?

Fixed it for you...... sorry I couldn't resist, very PC of me that apology ?

Archived