Children in need

Sith Happens

Gets a thumbs up from me. To see some of the terrible things people have to go through makes me sad. My credit card has donated tonight.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. As a nation we give ourselves a hard time but this country has so many generous people and because of that there are hundreds of thousands of charities able to do great work to help all sorts of people in all sorts of circumstances.

Anyone remember that telethon thing they did in the 80's was it? Might have been early 90's. I think Michael Aspell presented it . Not Children in need related but just came into my cavernous head space just then and thought I'd mention it.

Kid went to school today in PJ's for CIN and took donations. Also tomorrow at dance classes. Anyone know if there will be collection buckets at the ground tomorrow?

6 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Yep. As a nation we give ourselves a hard time but this country has so many generous people and because of that there are hundreds of thousands of charities able to do great work to help all sorts of people in all sorts of circumstances.

Anyone remember that telethon thing they did in the 80's was it? Might have been early 90's. I think Michael Aspell presented it . Not Children in need related but just came into my cavernous head space just then and thought I'd mention it.

Kid went to school today in PJ's for CIN and took donations. Also tomorrow at dance classes. Anyone know if there will be collection buckets at the ground tomorrow?

Yeah Telethon was 80s and a 24 hour charity thing on ITV. Can't remember what they were raising money for but it didn't happen many times. 

The story about Maggie's got me, its a moving story. I go to Maggie's in Nottingham when I can for my support group. There is some inspirational people out there I really do feel in awe of what they do.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

The story about Maggie's got me, its a moving story. I go to Maggie's in Nottingham when I can for my support group. There is some inspirational people out there I really do feel in awe of what they do.

A few weeks after it opened, some scrots broke in and nicked all the computers.

I've rarely been as angry, luckily the donations after more than covered it, but who would sink so low?

Fantastic work they do.

8 hours ago, reveldevil said:

A few weeks after it opened, some scrots broke in and nicked all the computers.

I've rarely been as angry, luckily the donations after more than covered it, but who would sink so low?

Fantastic work they do.

I didnt know that. I think that demonstrates the spectrum of personalities we are dealing with with human beings, one set of people often giving their own time to support people who are often dealing with devestating news, not just the cancer sufferer but their loved ones too, and then you have proper scum bags who dont give a toss about others.

Luckily i think those of us who do care outnumber those who dont.

I think it's a disgrace that we are one of the richest countries in the world, yet all these desperate people have to hope they get lucky on the lottery of charity.

There is more than enough money to go around to ensure everyone is more than comfortable, but there is so much inequality.

How can people like footballers, royals, bankers etc watch things like Children in Need and not feel sick with guilt.

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think it's a disgrace that we are one of the richest countries in the world, yet all these desperate people have to hope they get lucky on the lottery of charity.

There is more than enough money to go around to ensure everyone is more than comfortable, but there is so much inequality.

How can people like footballers, royals, bankers etc watch things like Children in Need and not feel sick with guilt.

I cant argue with that, but i think programs like this do demonstrate that the 'average joes' amongst us are happy to dig into their pockets to find a fiver or a tenner for others.

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I cant argue with that, but i think programs like this do demonstrate that the 'average joes' amongst us are happy to dig into their pockets to find a fiver or a tenner for others.

They do indeed. The average Joes are proportinally way more generous than the rich.

Imagine the good that could be done if say, just the Duke of Westminster had to pay inheritance tax. He was worth 9 billion.

This might be controversial but I have a bit of an issue with these sorts of ways to collect money. I was hounded in London yesterday. Waterloo station was swarming with people dressed in yellow begging for money. How much goes where? My fiver might end up where I don't want it to go.

Maggies was mentioned earlier, I don't know it but everyone seems really positive about the place.. Why not give you ten pounds direct to them? That's what I do.

Not having a go at CIN but it is not for me.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

This might be controversial but I have a bit of an issue with these sorts of ways to collect money. I was hounded in London yesterday. Waterloo station was swarming with people dressed in yellow begging for money. 

******* Romanians :lol:

Archived