POLL: Christmas... Turkey? Is it vital?

Mostyn6

is Turkey the "must have" for your Christmas dinner?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 21:27, reveldevil said:

We normally have a polish Christmas eve meal, called Wigilia(sic).

Twelve non - meat courses, including raw fish in onions, fish in tomato, battered fish, breaded fish, fish with peppers, smoked fish, beetroot soup and stuffed pasta with mushrooms!

This year it's up to us to host it, so Filet'o'Fish and fries may make its way onto the menu!

I much prefer the English tradition of going out and getting bladdered, before fighting over a taxi home to be honest!

Not the tradition in our house mate.

Christmas eve is for peeling your own bodyweight of potatoes and getting the sprouts on about 11pm so that they're properly soft by Christmas Day lunch ;)

The added excitement this year is finding sleeping space for the wife's extended family as 17 into a 5 bed house won't quite go.....

Turkey? Bunch of peasants, awful awful bird and I've had a few, all about the chicken for me.....chicken and mushroom Fray Bentos.

Never understood why everyone goes all out cooking a huge meal on Xmas day, prefer to play with my new socks and sink a few pints of lager....does that make me a hipster now? ?

Last year we feasted on just about every imaginable vegetable with a leg of lamb...then went to play frisbee in the Gulf of Mexico....it didn't feel like Christmas at all...this year we are going all out English Christmas....turkey, Brussels and then crap tv all afternoon....(and then we might go and play frisbee in the ocean again..!)

1 hour ago, David said:

Turkey? Bunch of peasants, awful awful bird and I've had a few, all about the chicken for me.....chicken and mushroom Fray Bentos.

Never understood why everyone goes all out cooking a huge meal on Xmas day, prefer to play with my new socks and sink a few pints of lager....does that make me a hipster now? ?

Ermmm not sure I like to ask, but how does one 'play' with his socks?

15 hours ago, Tombo said:

Arguably its more to do with Charles Dickens having Scrooge send the Cratchits a massive Turkey in A Christmas Carol. They eat Goose elsewhere in the book but Scrooge decides to send them a nice foreign bird with his newfound generosity. 

Since then, we've traditionalised it. 

What I want to know is how exactly that turkey ever fit into Cratchetts small oven!  

But thats just details :D best book ever!!

8 hours ago, David said:

Chicken and mushroom Fray Bentos?? Ohmegod, you wouldn't! :o :lol:

Archived