Armistice Day

LesterRam

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was waiting for someone at Birmingham New Street and there was an old dear selling poppies with a Gurkha stood next to her. The Gurkha was in a suit with his Terai hat on complete with medals , not sure why I did it but having already bought my poppy elsewhere went over to him shook his hand and said thanks .

You would have thought I had given him a million pounds nice guy ,made my day also.

Our lad took part in the Remembrance Parade today, as part of his Air Cadet Squadron. 

Lovely to see veterans, both servicemen and women proudly wearing their medals, quietly reflecting, along with current members of all the Armed Forces, God only knows what horrors they went through. 

Respect to them all.

48 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I was waiting for someone at Birmingham New Street and there was an old dear selling poppies with a Gurkha stood next to her. The Gurkha was in a suit with his Terai hat on complete with medals , not sure why I did it but having already bought my poppy elsewhere went over to him shook his hand and said thanks .

You would have thought I had given him a million pounds nice guy ,made my day also.

My father was SSM in the Gurkha Engineers in Malaya from 1961 to 1964. They are a proud and wonderful people.

A couple of weeks before we left Kluang to return to the UK, two Gurkhas from the squadron reported the theft of their kukris. The two were put on a fizzer and served several days imprisoned in the glasshouse - it's a very serious offence to lose your weapon.

When Dad took his final parade, the 'stolen' kukris were presented to him affixed to an engraved shield. It was a gesture that meant more to him than anything else in all his time serving King, Queen and Country for 22 years.

1 hour ago, ladyram said:

Our lad took part in the Remembrance Parade today, as part of his Air Cadet Squadron. 

Lovely to see veterans, both servicemen and women proudly wearing their medals, quietly reflecting, along with current members of all the Armed Forces, God only knows what horrors they went through. 

Respect to them all.

Great to see the youngsters involved. My granddaughter was chosen to lay the wreath at Alton village church this morning. Wunt normally get me in a church other than weddings and funerals but had to go to watch and support the little duck.

13 hours ago, ladyram said:

Respect to them all.

Fantastic for a youngster to be in the Air Cadet's ,I was in 2195 squadron, the RAF taught me how to fly and I went all over the UK and Germany with the RAF .The one's that don't do stuff like this don't know what they are missing.

On 14/11/2016 at 09:13, King Kevin said:

Fantastic for a youngster to be in the Air Cadet's ,I was in 2195 squadron, the RAF taught me how to fly and I went all over the UK and Germany with the RAF .The one's that don't do stuff like this don't know what they are missing.

Well to be honest there's a big part of me that really wants him to stick with it and eventually make a career of it (it's funny as his Grandad joined the very same squadron when he was the same age and went on to join the RAF properly) and then there's a part of me which would dread that happening, but I'd never try to put him off though, if he wants to go, go he shall. 

Going to France after Christmas and en route intending to divert to Dunkirk to see where my late father in law waded out 8 times before finally getting a boat home. he never really talked freely about it ...the only thing he said to me when I asked directly was ... We were frightened and thirsty for a week and it was effing cold.

A squaddie and a coal miner who went from there to Africa and Italy. Not one of the few, one of the many many brave uncomplicated extra ordinary, ordinary men who stood up when it mattered. 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

Going to France after Christmas and en route intending to divert to Dunkirk to see where my late father in law waded out 8 times before finally getting a boat home. he never really talked freely about it ...the only thing he said to me when I asked directly was ... We were frightened and thirsty for a week and it was effing cold.

A squaddie and a coal miner who went from there to Africa and Italy. Not one of the few, one of the many many brave uncomplicated extra ordinary, ordinary men who stood up when it mattered. 

A truly brave generation, I can't imagine how they did it.

9 hours ago, jono said:

These people are awesome aren't they? 

Archived