Joey Barton

DcFc Dyycheee
Message added by David

Joey Barton - Appointed as Fleetwood Head Coach > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/29009-joey-barton-appointed-as-fleetwood-head-coach/

44 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

If McClaren thinks it's a good idea then I think it's a good idea.

I can definitely see why someone wouldn't want him to come, I personally hate his depiction as 'the thinking mans footballer', he's clearly just a massive bellend. I think the situation at Rangers was a joke, he clearly thought he was the big fish in a small pond, did some stupid stuff and ended up getting himself sacked.

However, he's an experienced head in an absolutely vital position on the pitch for us. I've always felt we never truly replaced John Eustace, a player who wasn't particularly flashy but knew how to play his role in the side and wasn't concerned with trying to do anything else other than the basics.

I haven't believed he's got an experienced head since he imploded and gifted the Man City their first title (he was 30 at the time I believe) by popping at Aguero. 

Big no thank you from me. 

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems ludicrous but I don't nessercerily think this would be a bad thing, I think he could be exactly what I need. On principle I can see why a lot of people don't want him, he's clearly a thug and a bit of an all round knob- well at least has been  in the past ( I thought he'd turned over a new leaf while at Burnley but then the incident at rangers happened, let's hope it was a one off). But the fact he's a thug and an all round know might be exactly what this team needs.

It always strikes me that Barton is the perfect example of a player who gives a team steel, which we are sorely missing at the moment, and may finally be able to solve our issue of bottle that's plagued us for god knows how long. Imo a lot of teams who are successful are successful not just because of their squad ability, but also because of the mental strength and almost cockiness within the team which makes them believe they are the best and fear no one. Take Manchester United under fergie for example, as well as being a tactical genius fergie was a bit of a cocky knob, which is no slight in him at all- in fact it's what made that team so successful for so long IMO. It transferred over to the players he bought and build up almost 100% confidence within his team that they are the best, even if some are better man to man. I think Barton would bring a similar sort of swagger and confidence to our team, to make the whole team stronger mentally and not just more Likely to see out games but also to see out the season and finally achieve our aims.

I think mac realised that something needed to be done to resolve the mental weakness in the squad at the end of his last season in charge, hence the plan was originally to bring in Barton to solve the issues and make the team stronger. So in other words he may be a cocky ****, but he'd be our cocky **** and he'd be able to give our team steel and stop that blasted lack of bottle present for all to long, I think he's exactly what we need

I seriously hope we don't do is.  Isn't Bradley Johnson finally starting to play well now that he is settling into the DM role? Why do we need a psychotic thuggish has-been undermining him, and possibly disrupting the whole squad?  Hanson can play the DM role if Bradley is unfit....don't understand the reasoning behind this at all.  Would just hate to see him in a Derby shirt. 

I don't like the guy and wish we didn't have to consider it but we just might have to. A lot depends on how far Thorne is from fitness because currently if Johnson gets injured we might have a few problems what with doubts over Hanson and Baird's ability to fill in for a run of games. Barton on a short term contract might be a necessary stop-gap whilst Thorne recovers.

1 minute ago, RamLad1884 said:

Let's say Baird is rb until Christie is back, leaves Hanson as cdm cover. Much rather that cover be Barton 

Anya RB, Hanson, Baird as cover till January for both RB and DM, January window open where we can go for literally anyone but Barton.

Is it true we couldn't even sign him till January anyway as he had a club after the window shut.

1 minute ago, David said:

Anya RB, Hanson, Baird as cover till January for both RB and DM, January window open where we can go for literally anyone but Barton.

Is it true we couldn't even sign him till January anyway as he had a club after the window shut.

Good point

Only thing we haven't considered is whether mac sees Johnson's future at cdm. He's always spoke on radio as if johnson is there while we have no better. BJ clearly has attacking skill and maybe mac wants to use that 

Would be an ideal signing. Took a team up last year and was their best player by all accounts. Blokes a leader and we lack that in the middle of the park. Would allow Johnson to play slightly further forward also alongside Hughes, which would help us be less preciatble as feel like Hughes and Butterfield can be too similar at times.

Obviously can be a dodgy charcter, but with the right manager who can get him focused he would be a huge asset for anyone in this league. Hoping his good relationship with Mac will help with that. Worth a shout on a contract to the end of the season and see where it goes.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Yes. 

Also agreed with Anya at RB. It's a yes from me ??

I'd take him, what do we really have to lose this season?

Personally, I'm not that bothered if he's an ******** of a person. A lot of top sportsmen have been labeled as such, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Maradona, tax dodging Messi... not like we'd say no to him would we because his morality can sometimes come into question.

Take him in an instant - on pay and play contract.

Have him at CM or DM, can read a game and can lift the players around him  and is a natural leader on the field something that we currently lack.

Go on Mac get him signed.:thumbsup:

Cue melt down..........:lol:

11 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Only thing we haven't considered is whether mac sees Johnson's future at cdm. He's always spoke on radio as if johnson is there while we have no better. BJ clearly has attacking skill and maybe mac wants to use that 

True...obviously Johnson has been a goal threat for teams in the past.  But for us..he's played his best football in the DM role.  He's good at tackling, can pass it simply...and is remarkably good at heading opposition kick-outs! For me, Barton, at his age...would be a step backwards in every respect

7 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Good point

Johnson isn't ideal at DM, I actually like the idea of playing him alongside Hughes with a proper DM behind them. Butterfield and Hughes doesn't work (for me) and Bryson through injuries, form has fallen out of favour.

Like I say earlier, unless I'm mistaken we can't sign him till January as it is anyway, same time we can sign any DM around the world. Is Joey Barton the best we can get?

I don't know who, I can't name names, I just know that Joey Barton comes with a huge risk and not one I would be willing to take.

He's had 6 clubs in his career, 4 of which he has caused problems at, the odds are not in his favour.

I think everyone on this forum would agree we need more bite to the midfield, a bit of nastiness, a leader even, I'm sure we can get that without bringing in a convicted criminal thug.

I see no benefits to Barton, only potential problems, we're just getting back on track and to throw a grenade in there right now would be madness. 

Just now, David said:

Johnson isn't ideal at DM, I actually like the idea of playing him alongside Hughes with a proper DM behind them. Butterfield and Hughes doesn't work (for me) and Bryson through injuries, form has fallen out of favour.

Like I say earlier, unless I'm mistaken we can't sign him till January as it is anyway, same time we can sign any DM around the world. Is Joey Barton the best we can get?

I don't know who, I can't name names, I just know that Joey Barton comes with a huge risk and not one I would be willing to take.

He's had 6 clubs in his career, 4 of which he has caused problems at, the odds are not in his favour.

I think everyone on this forum would agree we need more bite to the midfield, a bit of nastiness, a leader even, I'm sure we can get that without bringing in a convicted criminal thug.

I see no benefits to Barton, only potential problems, we're just getting back on track and to throw a grenade in there right now would be madness. 

I get your points, but what's the real risk? The deal would probably be a 6 month deal, no transfer fee, he hasn't struggled with injuries at Burnley or Rangers, and his wages at Rangers were reported 20k, which is hardly barmy with our current wage structure. And I doubt he'll hardly be looking for ridiculous wages after his tidy Rangers pay off. 

Dyche said he never had any problems with Barton in his time at Burnley, nothing but praise. Yes he fell out with Warburton but has praised McClaren on many occasions, so there's clearly a mutual respect there. Steve also gave McClaren his only England cap. 

Personally, I'm torn. He's a prat. But offering him a chance to train over the international break, or train after, seems fair to me. And see how he gets on. 

I just read on Twitter that Barton was once sent off for a head butt on our very own Bradley, :lol:, tbh I wouldn't want anything damaging his excellent form. 

Archived