Joey Barton

DcFc Dyycheee
Message added by David

Joey Barton - Appointed as Fleetwood Head Coach > https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/29009-joey-barton-appointed-as-fleetwood-head-coach/

Joey Barton offered Championship lifeline by Steve McClaren as Derby boss gives controversial midfielder chance to join Pride Park

STEVE McCLAREN is ready to give Joey Barton the chance to prolong his career at Derby.

McClaren is offering the midfielder an opportunity to join the Rams for training with a view to signing.

Barton, 34, is settling his pay off at Rangers after a stormy short spell in Scotland. And he is open to a return to England’s Championship.

McClaren knows Barton from working with him at QPR and would like his experience for the second half of the season.

Barton helped Burnley win promotion in the last campaign and Derby still have ambitions to mount a challenge in this campaign.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would 100% take him, would bring some much needed experience and bite to holding midfield. Alot of people on here say we never replaced Eustace, well Barton would be a better replacement.

Yeah there is this badboy image of him but he turned it around at QPR and Burnley were disappointed to lose him.

Apparently he speaks highly of McClaren in his autobiography, has worked with McClaren at QPR, McClaren gave him his only England cap as well as trying to sign him for Boro for 5m so this could quite possibly happen.

Similar situation to Savage, alot hated him for more relevant reasons to Derby fans and he turned a few opinions around, cant see why Barton couldnt do the same considering he hasnt done much wrong to Derby fans himself

This would disappoint, sadden, anger, frustrate me greatly. 

I'm only just getting my head around the fact Honey G is going to win X Factor and now IF true, we're interested in signing a stressed out, past it, SPL rejected team mate whacking thug.

We need bite in midfield agreed, been saying it for a long time, play Chris Weale DM if we need to, anyone, anyone at all, even Robbie Savage if we must but not Joey Barton.

Don't do this Derby, seriously don't do this.

IMG_0543.JPG

I cannot express in words how much I do not like him. How much I do not want us to sign him. How much I think he's not going to contribute anything of value to the club. How much I think the arguments for signing him have been used before -

he brings experience to a squad with Baird, Bent, Johnson, Carson, Pearce.......

He brings fight and steel...like Pearson did......

He has quality....like non of the current squad have "quality" by second division standards. 

He was good at a different club some time ago....

Fact is he either physically or mentality could not hack the SPFL, and reacted by falling out with everyone. 

Baird, not everyone's favorite, has been good for the squad, does anyone remotely think Barton would help and encourage whilst playing his part or would just be permaragey unless he's getting his way? 

Not for me a good idea in the slightest. 

On a footballing level he'd probably be a helpful addition in the short term.

On every other level I wouldn't want him, but I wouldn't protest it or anything. I've been needing a player to not like for years anyway, everyone else seems to have at least one. 

15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

On a footballing level he'd probably be a helpful addition in the short term.

On every other level I wouldn't want him, but I wouldn't protest it or anything. I've been needing a player to not like for years anyway, everyone else seems to have at least one. 

I would feel comfortable hating on Barton weather he deserves it or not. 

He loves the booing

He is too old

He is.......our new Robbie Savage without the good bits! 

If McClaren thinks it's a good idea then I think it's a good idea.

I can definitely see why someone wouldn't want him to come, I personally hate his depiction as 'the thinking mans footballer', he's clearly just a massive bellend. I think the situation at Rangers was a joke, he clearly thought he was the big fish in a small pond, did some stupid stuff and ended up getting himself sacked.

However, he's an experienced head in an absolutely vital position on the pitch for us. I've always felt we never truly replaced John Eustace, a player who wasn't particularly flashy but knew how to play his role in the side and wasn't concerned with trying to do anything else other than the basics.

Clearly Thorne was the better option in that role, but I remember talking to a Norwich fan on the train in 14/15 who said that if he could have one player from our team it would Eustace because every team that gets promoted has a player like John Eustace in the side.

From a purely football perspective this is an absolute no brainer, it gives us possibly the two best options in the league for DM, one of the best players in the league last year and a type of player that we don't have. Imagine being able to bring on Barton when we started rocking against Wolves?

If you're moaning about us conceding late goals and there not being any leadership on the pitch but you DONT want Barton, then be careful what you wish for. Because Barton addresses the defensive fragility and lack of leadership.

Archived