Problem with Toshiba satellite L50 B

Phoenix

My  step-daughter's just been given one of these on long term loan. However, 'the lights come on but nothing apparently happens'.

I've tried various tips from the internet but I can't get the screen to display anything. It seems to be not uncommon if they've not been used for a while, and I think it's been stuck in a cupboard for a while.

I've tried removing the battery, holding the on-switch down for 20 secs, then attaching the power cord, also attaching it to a different display. All to no avail. As I say, the power light comes on, the fan runs, and the Wifi indicator light can be switched on and off with the appropriate function key, but no display.

I've downloaded the manual, it's about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Any ideas, as it looks a nice piece of kit? Also, it has some sensitive business information on it which should be kept private so I'm reluctant to take it to Currys etc.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

does the laptop keep running or does it power back down?

Yes, the fan keeps running as long as there's power, and it doesn't power itself off.

19 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

bios, any colour screen Black or Blue?

I've tried the various combo's of F2 and F12 and 0(zero) as described in Toshiba's manual, but the screen stubbornly stays blank. Problem is, I don't know if I've entered the BIOS or recovery screeens and cocked something up, cos' there's nothing to see. (or my step-daughter before me)

its a bit of a process of elimination, does it sound like it is working but the screen is not responding, does the hard drive (unless its SSD) change its pitch when loading.

see if have VGA or HDMI slot and if have one of these, put your TV or Monitor in slot and turn on your laptop.

If your laptop is working with tv or monitor then your display is broken

29 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

its a bit of a process of elimination, does it sound like it is working but the screen is not responding, does the hard drive (unless its SSD) change its pitch when loading.

see if have VGA or HDMI slot and if have one of these, put your TV or Monitor in slot and turn on your laptop.

If your laptop is working with tv or monitor then your display is broken

When I try to boot up, I get a couple of clicks, a bit like its trying to read the DVD player, but the background hum is very quiet. As I say, probably just the fan.

Graphics card does sound like possibility, McRF.

Done most of that apart from the RAM test. Bit nervous about that.

No, nothing loaded, nothing happened, just a blank screen, but power and wifi lights on, so I don't know if Windows ever loaded. Doesn't sound promising.

Might bite the bullet and try the RAM test. Good name if nothing else!

Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention, I took it to PCWorld, where it was bought from, and they sent it to their repair centre. This costs £60, plus any parts. They phoned a few days later to say that it needed a new motherboard, and would cost £683.

I said 'thanks, but no thanks' to which he replied 'I don't blame you. neither would I'

Picked up the carcase today. The guys in the shop were quite sympathetic, and as stunned as me. As it wasn't repaired we got the £60 back.

Upshot is they've given me a number to ring, to get a case number to claim on the 'Sale of Goods Act'. He reckoned they should offer between £300-£400.  As I didn't buy it in the 1st place, and it's been unused for the last year of its 2 year life, that sounds reasonable, and should provide an adequate new laptop for my step-daughter. Fingers crossed.

Just seen this thread.

Any computer should beep before it gets to start the operating system. This is from the bios, which is a basic test and configuration of the machine. 

Multiple beeps means something failed a startup test. No beep at all says to me something serious is blown.

18 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Just seen this thread.

Any computer should beep before it gets to start the operating system. This is from the bios, which is a basic test and configuration of the machine. 

Multiple beeps means something failed a startup test. No beep at all says to me something serious is blown.

My work laptop doesn't beep and it works fine.

Archived