could it happen again (Wembley)

B4ev6is

7 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

here are the last two seasons, just change the dates towards the top of the page.

We are way off the last 2 seasons to be fair

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2014-2015/between-dates

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2015-2016/between-dates

Thank you for that.

6th place on lower points than in each of the previous 2 seasons.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to sound a bit strange but I honestly believe the worst thing we can possibly do this season is to hammer Rotherham. If we hammer them, I'm talking 4-0, 5-0, it will really ramp up the playoffs here we come, don't book your holiday, something special is happening here.

of course I want us to win. A nice simple 2-0 would be lovely, just to keep us ticking, but not having the tools come out of the woodwork, rock up for the Norwich game expecting us to win 84-0 and play like 1970s Brazil all game and then moan and groan when Baird hasn't score a hattrick in the first 10 minutes.

9 minutes ago, KBB said:

This is going to sound a bit strange but I honestly believe the worst thing we can possibly do this season is to hammer Rotherham. If we hammer them, I'm talking 4-0, 5-0, it will really ramp up the playoffs here we come, don't book your holiday, something special is happening here.

of course I want us to win. A nice simple 2-0 would be lovely, just to keep us ticking, but not having the tools come out of the woodwork, rock up for the Norwich game expecting us to win 84-0 and play like 1970s Brazil all game and then moan and groan when Baird hasn't score a hattrick in the first 10 minutes.

Don't be silly, Baird won't ever play again for us

3 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

here are the last two seasons, just change the dates towards the top of the page.

We are way off the last 2 seasons to be fair

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2014-2015/between-dates

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2015-2016/between-dates

So our record this season after 16 games would have made us 13th at the same point last season, 8 points off the playoffs and 10 behind 4th & 5th. We are currently a lower 16th but 6 points off the playoffs, 7 off 5th and 8th off 4th. Further down the table but closer to playoff on points. Only 9 points off 3rd too, 1 point less than we would have been off 6th last season.

League is much more compact this season which is in our favour as a team trying to play catch up. Wouldn't be too unexpected to be on fringes of playoffs at the halfway point, judging by our good recent form.

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

I don't want Wembley again, I couldn't face another loss and coming away like last time.

Top two or GTFO!

For all the bottom of the stomach sickly feeling it bought, the sheer thrill of a play off semi's win and the excitement of going there, I'd still take it over a non descript 7th or 8th place finish. Because that 0-3 loss against Reading was equally deflating.

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

So our record this season after 16 games would have made us 13th at the same point last season, 8 points off the playoffs and 10 behind 4th & 5th. We are currently a lower 16th but 6 points off the playoffs, 7 off 5th and 8th off 4th. Further down the table but closer to playoff on points. Only 9 points off 3rd too, 1 point less than we would have been off 6th last season.

League is much more compact this season which is in our favour as a team trying to play catch up. Wouldn't be too unexpected to be on fringes of playoffs at the halfway point, judging by our good recent form.

Also, to reach 6th position at the halfway point last year, a team with 20 points after 16 games would need would need 17 points from 7 games.

Continuing our form of 15 from 7 since Pearson left should hopefully mean we are top 6 by halfway point.

We've got to take it a game at the time; there's a lot of teams in this division that will all fancy their chances of the play-offs and we've had an appalling start. 

I don't think it's within any doubt that on our day we can beat anyone in this division, however, we've got to be a flat-track bully now. It's exactly the same situation as when Mac came in the first time. It's not Newcastle we should be focusing on, it's the other 22 teams in the division. 

The lead up to New Year looks like:
Rotherham (H) - 24th
Norwich (H) - 5th
Wigan (A) - 22nd
Forest (H) - 20th
QPR (A) - 17th
Fulham (A) - 8th
Birmingham (H) - 7th
Wigan (H) - 22nd

The next five games are against sides that are in pretty poor form, too. 

It's no good putting too much pressure on the situation, but we should be relishing that run of games. 24 points up for grabs and if we really get our head down, we should be close to pulling the maximum allocation. We've been in good form in the past six games, playing against four of the current top six, another in the top half and the other on the same points as us. Now, we have a different run of games that requires a different mindset and if we step up to the plate, we could be close come the New Year. 

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I am with every one in wanting the play offs this season and believe it is possible if we carry on the way we are and improve steadily.

But to put your post in some realism, if I am reading it correctly.

Both of the highlighted points mean there are more teams above us also playing for the same goal and playing good football (All teams have their slumps from time to time and others will also improve), this means there are more teams to over come.

The second part (read my above statement) and it also means teams below us are also not far off the play offs as well and will also at this moment believe they can go on a run.

So all games will be tough from here until Christmas when we will truly see who has the stamina to keep going and those (Rotherham at the moment) who will struggle.

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I am with every one in wanting the play offs this season and believe it is possible if we carry on the way we are and improve steadily.

But to put your post in some realism, if I am reading it correctly.

Both of the highlighted points mean there are more teams above us also playing for the same goal and playing good football (All teams have their slumps from time to time and others will also improve), this means there are more teams to over come.

The second part (read my above statement) and it also means teams below us are also not far off the play offs as well and will also at this moment believe they can go on a run.

So all games will be tough from here until Christmas when we will truly see who has the stamina to keep going and those (Rotherham at the moment) who will struggle.

Good points well made. I still think I'd prefer the position this year though where we have got less points to make up but more teams within reach. Feels more in our hands.

15 hours ago, Zag zig said:

For all the bottom of the stomach sickly feeling it bought, the sheer thrill of a play off semi's win and the excitement of going there, I'd still take it over a non descript 7th or 8th place finish. Because that 0-3 loss against Reading was equally deflating.

Without the £300+ expense though ?

Archived