Solicitor Ram?

SKRam

Buying motor with some finance. Going back tomorrow (Main dealer) and asking what they can offer me as the advertised car was 7500 miles but on purchase had 10300 on clock. They've offered 250 quid and a tank of fuel. Think I should ask for a grand off. Anyone any suggestions before I drop off please?!! 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Buying motor with some finance. Going back tomorrow (Main dealer) and asking what they can offer me as the advertised car was 7500 miles but on purchase had 10300 on clock. They've offered 250 quid and a tank of fuel. Think I should ask for a grand off. Anyone any suggestions before I drop off please?!! 

Depends how much you want it SK, 3k miles is nowt really. Tell them you want £500 and not to bother with the fuel and they'll probably accept.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Depends on the car and the age?

Audi A1 1 yr old. Part exed my previous A1. This one has higher spec and sadly I do want it. Boys toys and all that. A treat for myself. I'd accept 500 Uttox to be honest, be worth a few minutes haggle. 

1 minute ago, SKRam said:

Audi A1 1 yr old. Part exed my previous A1. This one has higher spec and sadly I do want it. Boys toys and all that. A treat for myself. I'd accept 500 Uttox to be honest, be worth a few minutes haggle. 

I'd say £500 is fair, small car to have racked up 25% more miles in than stated.

19 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Having been bitten before - anything to do with mileage being misreported means HPI check is crucial. Have you done one?

the problem with HPI data checks are that the information available is flawed, the vehicle isn't old enough to be registered with the Ministry of Transport (MOT) because it isn't 3 years old, it is possible to remove flags on the ABI register (CAT C-D) with very little knowledge so a hardened pro would be able to clock a fairly new vehicle with ease.

Great knowledge and again I really appreciate the input fellas (and ladies possibly!!). It's a franchise dealer (inchcapeaudi) and I returned this morning and agreed a 350 discount. The mileage is genuine, the car has been used by one of their salesman. Manager was very courteous (handing over big cash you'd expect them to be I know!). He said the difference in mileage doesn't make that big a difference :huh:. There's no denying I want the car so I asked for 500 off but he wouldn't go above 350. As long as they've sorted the alloys (find out later) I'll be a happy chappy! 

7 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Margins on the car are tight, margins on the finance are pretty big. If you could put down a healthy deposit it would be better for you.

I'd have preferred to do that Lester but they only accept 50% max so I was at my limit. Obviously they want more off you through the finance scheme. After six payments you can pay off more in lump sums so I'm aiming to do that

Not sure if this is too late but I would perhaps run two valuations on the vehicle on either Glass or AutoTrader and compare the valuation with the 2 different levels of mileage to see what the difference is.  

Also doing an AutoCheck (AutoCheck.co.uk) is well worth doing just to make sure everything else is legit.

Main dealers are not going to sell a car knowingly dodgy, £350 is a decent discount for the extra mileage and the car should be unmarked at that age, so they'll sort the wheels out as a matter of course.

I recently traded in my 3 yr old car for a new one, they moved £1500 from their initial trade in offer, a few weeks later it was on their forecourt, in immaculate condition, which wasnt how it was handed over, for £1500 over what they paid me!

After 3 months, I've only done 600 miles in my new one, taxis would probably be cheaper tbh.

Archived