Bonfire Night

MrsRam

3 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I don't understand why fireworks have to bang, it supposed to be a visual experience, it can spook animals and old folk.

Spot on Lester. It's now about the loudest bang rather than the most elaborate display of pyrotechnics.

We always get fireworks that don't really make any noise other than the odd crackle and its just small scale in the front garden.

Everyone has a great time and no animals get scared in the process. How it should be.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always will remember when they used to have one at kilburn school, going back years. For some reason some clever clogs thought keeping the fireworks in a cardboard box was a good idea, they set one off and it looped up and landed in the box setting the whole lot off in one go.

How anybody didnt get badly injured i have no idea.

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Always will remember when they used to have one at kilburn school, going back years. For some reason some clever clogs thought keeping the fireworks in a cardboard box was a good idea, they set one off and it looped up and landed in the box setting the whole lot off in one go.

How anybody didnt get badly injured i have no idea.

Jeez, I remember that, late 70's early 80's wasn't it?

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Jeez, I remember that, late 70's early 80's wasn't it?

Yeah definately somewhere around 1980 ish, not sure exactly when.

We used to borrow a neighbours wheel barrow, cause it was a big one with a blow up tyre?, and knock on all the houses in the area asking for anything that burnt.  Everything when on, settees, beds, furniture, oh, and everyone made a guy too.

mushy peas, jacket spuds and hot dogs were made by the parents and Standard fireworks too.  We had it in the back field, luckily for us we backed onto fields. It seemed great at the time, now I feel guilty that I can't be arsed to even visit a display with the kids, and do they even have bonfires anymore?

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

We used to borrow a neighbours wheel barrow, cause it was a big one with a blow up tyre?, and knock on all the houses in the area asking for anything that burnt.  Everything when on, settees, beds, furniture, oh, and everyone made a guy too.

mushy peas, jacket spuds and hot dogs were made by the parents and Standard fireworks too.  We had it in the back field, luckily for us we backed onto fields. It seemed great at the time, now I feel guilty that I can't be arsed to even visit a display with the kids, and do they even have bonfires anymore?

Whats the point in taking them anyway? They wont see anything as they will be looking down tapping away into their mobile phones.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Whats the point in taking them anyway? They wont see anything as they will be looking down tapping away into their mobile phones.

True, I went to a display at the golden valley site near leabrooks and all I heard was , "I'm freezing, and are we calling at mac Donald's?"

I once went to a well-organised professional fireworks display, with the punters cordoned off at a safe distance. Unfortunately, one of the rockets shot off horizontally at ground level, probably (and providentialy) slowed by the unevenness of the turf, straight towards me and my 10-y-o lad.

A bloke standing next to me, wearing size 12 brogues, with amazing presence of mind (or foolishness) stamped on it, where it exploded under his foot. Apart from shock, and some singeing to my lads trousers, no harm was done. Not sure what effect it had on the bloke.

A large portion of the crowd panicked and cleared off home, but my lad, to his credit, decided to stay to the end. And he got a new pair of trousers form the organisers.

I remember being amazed to see a pub fireworks display where the responsible organiser got bored and went inside to focus on his drinking, leaving the rockets unattended. Some incredibly intelligent youths thought it would be funny to throw them on the bonfire. Most of the clients (maybe all of them bar the young lads) were inside, bored of the 'spectacle' and that's presumably why the guy in charge fooked the job off. I swiftly decided to fook off to another pub.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Each estate used to have a huge bonfire round our way back in the 70's. We'd be building every day after school for about a month before. There'd occasionally be bonfire wars with one bunch of lads sneaking to a rival estate to rob stuff for their own and burn what was left..

There was some great creations with the middle hollowed for a den where kids would sit round smoking :blink:

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Settees?

Utch'll have you for that.

On 6 November 2016 at 17:52, Phoenix said:

I once went to a well-organised professional fireworks display, with the punters cordoned off at a safe distance. Unfortunately, one of the rockets shot off horizontally.....

....Exploded about a foot from my face, and burst my ear drum leaving me with tinnitus for life.

Great. 

When I were a kid, we'd split into 2 teams either side of the tunnel that goes under the A52 in Spondon, and fire rockets towards each other until we'd run out, or blood was spilt.

Happy days of a misspent youth!

Archived