Bonfire Night

MrsRam

So, who's out there tonight, watching a fantastic, if expensive, fireworks display, hot dogs, sparklers, big bonfire, dads that don't have a clue where the next rockets going...be reet, in the milk bottle....

and who's sitting inside, with a dog that is shaking like.....well you know the saying,...with fireworks going off like bombs, thinking, these things should be only sold to clubs and proper shows and don't get me started on my poor chickens, bless them.

I'm old, aren't I?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hound has settled a little now after a half hour of barking at everything that banged or whooshed and a few things that didn't.

Luckily we have a wood burner which seems to knock her out. 

Either the heat or the carbon monoxide...

It's the latter for me MrsRam, our old girl is in a bit of a state despite having some tablets that are supposed to calm her down. 

Got the telly on loud and trying to make her feel better but to no avail. If it's only the one night I won't moan, you've got to give kids memories haven't you, but I hope there's no more tomorrow night. 

2 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

I don't understand why fireworks have to bang, it supposed to be a visual experience, it can spook animals and old folk.

I love watching them, from the house. Never liked the damn things since watching them at the local and a spark went in the tin - If I remember, it wasn't even bonfire night, it was for VE night (not the actual VE night, but a celebration of it, long time ago tho) - and the whole box went off with rockets  slithering across the pub carpark and over the road to the petrol station - haha. God. 

7 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

It's the latter for me MrsRam, our old girl is in a bit of a state despite having some tablets that are supposed to calm her down. 

Got the telly on loud and trying to make her feel better but to no avail. If it's only the one night I won't moan, you've got to give kids memories haven't you, but I hope there's no more tomorrow night. 

My dog takes absolutely no notice of them, I don't know why, she just sleeps through them. If your dog doesn't like them, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. It's horrible for them. 

2 minutes ago, MrsRam said:

My dog takes absolutely no notice of them, I don't know why, she just sleeps through them. If your dog doesn't like them, there doesn't seem to be much you can do. It's horrible for them. 

We live in the sticks and about five years ago we were on a walk and the pheasant shooters started, there was no warning of a shoot, we were on a public footpath that we always used but they were close by and that was that, she's never been the same since.

1 hour ago, EastHertsRam said:

Perhaps you've got it wrong? If you took the tablets, by the time you come round the old dog will have forgotten all about the noise and you'll be none the wiser.

I hate fireworks. They're a complete waste of time and money. That doesn't mean to say I begrudge people who do like them. A few bangs don't bother me. I just don't understand the draw. I don't even bother opening the curtains to see what the neighbours have pissed £100 away on this year.

Archived